If you were to quit med school what would you do for a living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tortaspie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically of course. I just thought of this because I have heard of people quitting med school and I always wonder what they decided to do after they quit.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to become a graphic designer or a animator :) or go into electrical engineering.

Reactions: 1 users
I would try to become a graphic designer or a animator :) or go into electrical engineering.
I always thought it would be cool to be a videigame designer, but I'm not as good at drawing like I used to be and there's a lot of competition in that field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a few people who have quit and attended an MPH program. Both of them have no regrets and enjoy their lives much more than when in medical school!

For me, if I am accepted and do quit, I would get a PhD in a field TBA. That, or go back to school for engineering.

High school teacher or college instructor. I plan to teach after I get my medical degree, I really enjoy it based on my experiences.

Edit: to clarify, my high school bio teacher told us on the first day of class "there's two types of teachers; those who master their craft and want to teach others and those who want to be better than the teachers they had in high school." After that year I realized he was the latter and always thought about becoming a teacher to really find a way to help students and inspire them. Also to teach them how to play rock music so I can win battle of the bands.

Last edited:
I would probably just work as a medical lab scientist, which is the degree I'm working on right now anyway. I like being a mad scientist :)

Masseur, PA, architect, teacher, lawyer

Hypothetically of course. I just thought of this because I have heard of people quitting med school and I always wonder what they decided to do after they quit.

I would go for a PhD in Economics and be a hotshot banker or analyst. Or get a PhD in physics and do random physics stuff.

I would start my own HFT firm.

Maybe we should team up? ;)

Teacher and coach a sport. I'd be that coach that breaks clipboards at timeouts and is heard screaming through the walls. But, at this time, I'm channeling my passion towards a career in medicine. :)

Stripper. Only profession to pay off that debt. People would throw money at me just to get me off stage. o_O

Reactions: 15 users
Two I know of IRL: one became a college professor in creative writing and the other went into government regulatory compliance in a field related to his BS/MS degree in addition to earning a PhD.

I know of a few people who have quit and attended an MPH program. Both of them have no regrets and enjoy their lives much more than when in medical school!
My friend did something similar, was pressured into medicine by their parents, ended up in the Caribbean. Now in a successful career in public health and other than the wasted money is very happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boutique fitness instructor. Be perky and make awesome playlists and you're golden.

Brewing or carpentry
9409b569c8b3854e795e793378582c64.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'd do respiratory work until I could afford to open a hostel in China/Vietnam/Malaysia or open a brewery stateside.

Teacher and coach a sport. I'd be that coach that breaks clipboards at timeouts and is heard screaming through the walls. But, at this time, I'm channeling my passion towards a career in medicine. :)
Med school has gotten me to the "heard screaming through walls" point before lol.

Either a full time stock market investor (day-trader) or software engineer.

And instead of majoring in chemistry and biochemistry, I would have done mathematics and physics. :)

Internationally renowned actor.

I'd hit fitness/bodybuilding marketing, become a fitness guru so I can get paid for spreading bro-science.. "If you aren't taking THESE sups, then you won't look like this guy!!" (picture of HUGE dude who is obviously taking more than those sups)

Reactions: 3 users
I would most likely make a career out of EMS (currently taking the EMT-Basic class and loving it) and become a paramedic/firefighter. Or maybe biostatistics.

Reactions: 3 users
Stripper. Only profession to pay off that debt. People would throw money at me just to get me off stage. o_O
I think becoming an expert on making a particular type of drug and selling that would also be the other option to paying off debt quickly. Then once you pay it off stop. This is hypothetical of course :)

Maybe start a business that focuses on making greasy fair-style food- the most unhealthy delicious stuff possible... Something tells me that would make good money.

Mathematics/software. No regrets whatsoever--great career, fun every day, and lots of ways to help improve healthcare and medical research!

Don't go Breaking Bad now.
I think becoming an expert on making a particular type of drug and selling that would also be the other option to paying off debt quickly. Then once you pay it off stop. This is hypothetical of course :)[/QUOTE)

Just commissioned as a 2LT through ROTC a few weeks ago, so if it weren't med school I'd switch into some combat arms branch like Engineers or Field Artillery for the Army

Reactions: 2 users
I think becoming an expert on making a particular type of drug and selling that would also be the other option to paying off debt quickly. Then once you pay it off stop. This is hypothetical of course :)

I've actually heard that synthesizing L-sugars makes quite the paycheck. Carbohydrate chemistry is awesome.

I got a couple of things I would love to do, some will make good money and others I would just be happy doing them.

• Paramedic/Firefighter.
  • Life Flight Paramedic.
  • Petroleum engineer ->MBA do petroleum business side -> Invest in real estate, tech companies, and franchises.
  • Healthcare administration -> MBA or MHA -> CEO of a hospital. -> Invest. Then you guys will become my peasants. :p
  • Stay at home dad and begin the dad bod transformation. ;)

I'd probably be a software engineering and work for Apple.

Move to BVIs. Open a bar. Drink/smoke/scuba/Bob Marley. Die a happy, relaxed, shirtless man without a care in the world.

I have so many things that interest me it'd be hard to choose - medicine is the only clear-cut winner over all the things I think would be cool. I might get a PhD and do cancer research - this is probably the next most appealing. Maybe work in pharmaceuticals or hospital administration. I also think I might pursue politics, likely emphasizing public health and health policy.

Astronaut.

More realistically, probably computer science.

Probably a pilot or an air traffic controller. I love airplanes and being at airports (the nice ones, of course).

If it were a more unrealistic dream job sort of thing I'd love to work as as equipment manager for an NHL team.

Just finished my M1 year and I'm seriously considering quitting med school to pursue robotics engineering...Im going to decide over the summer break

Just finished my M1 year and I'm seriously considering quitting med school to pursue robotics engineering...Im going to decide over the summer break
That's interesting, what's your experience in robotics? As I understand it, robotics has a small job market and you have to be great to get a good job.
I thought of studying medicine and go into bionics research if possible. Rehabilitate people through robotics.

Nursing. I am currently a nurse and love it! Perhaps CRNA school?

Last edited:
Be a college or private high school teacher.

Small business owner. Probably in in the web development or tutoring area.