If you were to quit med school what would you do for a living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In no particular order:
1. radio journalism
2. own my own coffee shop
3. guitar tech for touring bands
4. NBA/college basketball scout

The last three are probably VERY unrealistic, but a guy can dream right?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be a Psychologist or do neuroscience research. At least as a psychologist, I'd still get to work with patients.

Become a Biostatistician or Data Scientist. Although the big bucks would be in quantitative science or financial engineering (although nearly impossible to break into). I too wish I had majored in applied math, computer science, computer engineering.

(excluding full on basic science research)
Homicide detective in a fairly large city.

Probably go be an ESL teacher in Korea, or Japan, for a year or two (and brush up on my Korean, or learn Japanese along the way), and then look into diplomatic work (my undergrad seems to have good connections to that kind of line of work) in either the US or my home country.

I'd a own a 5-star restaurant in Paris, and use it to launder drug money.

My friends brother dropped out of med school and works in consulting now or something like that

Yikes! Maybe social work or UX research. I've considered becoming a psychoanalyst as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excluding being a scientist since that's what I plan to do anyways alongside medicine....

1. Work for NPR or the BBC or a similar publicly owned journalism enterprise.
2. Work for the WHO / UN as an economist or engineer helping underdeveloped countries build infrastructure.
3. English teacher.

probably work for 3 years as a scientist while living with parents to save up the dough. Investing that dough in a restaurant and store. Invest profits into more restaurants and expansion. But let's be honest, I would probably hate my life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, there's a boatload of stuff I'd consider.

If we're just shouting off crackhead dreams, I'd love to play women's hockey in the Winter Olympics.
Dreams that involves less crack, but still a lot of crack would be running a bakery (I can decorate cakes now), or running a shelter for LBGT+ youth. Or painting.
Dreams of sobriety include being a math professor, maybe aiding medical research that way. Or being a civil rights lawyer. I could see how I feel about general health and wellness, and I would consider PT/OT or maybe exercise science, or nutrition. Maybe even nursing.

Last edited:
I'd probably keep doing Epic consulting and continue making 6 figures until I get tired of it. Then I think I'd go back to school and get an MHA or an MBA and work in healthcare administration.

Wellll I'm a physics major, so I'd probably take some computer science classes (online) or self teach out of a book, and then go into computational neuroscience and biophysics for a PhD. I intend on teaching in medical school after I become a physician so this would be then next closest thing for me at least

Fashion designer (love to make costumes, ball gowns). Sewing clothes, sewing people, need to keep the tension on the thread just so!! Sort of the same difference

when i was 18 i worked in a coffee shop that rarely saw any business... i just got paid to sit around and listen to jazz all day... in retrospect i feel as though i peaked way too soon on my life choices...

You do any full time job + a couple hours of tutoring and you're looking at a pretty decent 5-6k/month. That would be a decent way to pay off med school loans if you're unemployable in most sectors or something. . .

Fashion designer (love to make costumes, ball gowns). Sewing clothes, sewing people, need to keep the tension on the thread just so!! Sort of the same difference
You can do fashion design on the side even when you're in med school. : P

if i didn't have a fear of public speaking i would try stand up comedy