ILA by CookGas is now disposable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I posed this question years ago (7 to be exact).

I didn't get much response - so I wonder if more people have experience now.

Anybody using the ILA?

I asked my residents where the emergency airway cart is and they responded - we just use the glide scope or ILA.

That's cool. They do work phenomenally well.

Members don't see this ad.

I hated the disposable intubating LMA too much plastic on plastic. Lots of prep has to into setting it up. Lots of lube. I feel the non-disposable ones have a better feel.

By ILA I am assuming you are meaning the Intubating Laryngeal Airway. We have the AirQs at our hospital and I love it. I work in pediatrics so almost all of my difficult airways (planned or unplanned) are after the patient is asleep. I find that the LMA gives you an excellent source of ventilation and delivery of anesthetic while you prepare the fiberoptic scope. The LMA then provides an excellent conduit for the scope to travel through, bypassing much of the blood, secretions, and soft tissue that you would otherwise have to deal with when doing a traditional fiberoptic intubation. You just have to make sure you have some sort of long, thin forceps to grasp the ETT when pulling out the LMA and to remember to take off the ETT adapter prior to loading it onto the scope, otherwise the LMA will get caught on the tube.

I don't have them but I wish I did. AirQ's are great. With the right fiberoptic scope you can intubate right through it with an ET tube or an Aintree loaded on the scope. Every time I have ever done it the glottis was in perfect view.