I'll be interning for CVS soon, do I have the option to switch stores later on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Hue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got an offer to intern for CVS. Apparently I'm going to be training at a store in the city and then my home store will be a store near my school. I'm from new jersey but I requested to work in Pennsylvania (near school) because I want to be interning for most of the year. My question is that let's say after I graduate can I switch stores and get a full time position at a CVS in another state? I just want to make sure that I don't HAVE to be in Pennsylvania post graduate even though I might have hinted at that being my plans (I just wanted to work near school while I'm in school). After I graduate I want to branch out and look towards really pleasant places in the states like cali, NY, maybe florida. Will I have the option to work for stores in these states post grad?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you will be able to transfer districts as long as you get licensed in that district.

Yes you will be able to transfer districts as long as you get licensed in that district.

Do you recommend moving to cali after I graduate and working there? Would my life be enjoyable in cali?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more difficult to get licensed in Cali and the Southern California market is really saturated so they might not have openings for you.

Do you recommend moving to cali after I graduate and working there? Would my life be enjoyable in cali?

No your life would be a living hell. There is no girls for you here. Besides you will be graduating with 250 k in student loan debt. Nobody wants a debtor.

Reactions: 1 user
im from nj, graduated from jersey, am now living the dream in san diego. l live about 3 miles away from the beach. love it. but we re very saturated here. my district only hired two students this year, both scholarship interns from a local established california pharmacy school. good luck finding a job in california. also what people need to understand about california is that only very small pieces of land is desirable. by the southern coast is always 75 and sunny, but if you drive like half an hour inland, it is going to be about 15 degrees hotter, if you go to palm springs its 105-110 all summer. youre pretty much in arizona at that point. when i visit friends even in chino hills, california, its so dry that my throat hurts so much despite how much water i drink... try finding a job in SF, good parts of LA, or OC or SD. its just very difficult .not going to lie, by the time you graduate, i dont even know what the market here will be like.even new jersey is saturated...i didnt find a full-time job in NJ and found one in California, so i moved here. to be honest mostly for the california lifestyle, i didnt belong to the tristate area. im too laid back for the NY mentality. but if i wasnt living on the coast in san diego i would rather go back to the east coast, most parts of california is undesirable no man's land.

Last edited:
Having lived in Philly and now the Bay Area, I would say both have their positives and negatives.

im from nj, graduated from jersey, am now living the dream in san diego. l live about 3 miles away from the beach. love it. but we re very saturated here. my district only hired two students this year, both scholarship interns from a local established california pharmacy school. good luck finding a job in california. also what people need to understand about california is that only very small pieces of land is desirable. by the southern coast is always 75 and sunny, but if you drive like half an hour inland, it is going to be about 15 degrees hotter, if you go to palm springs its 105-110 all summer. youre pretty much in arizona at that point. when i visit friends even in chino hills, california, its so dry that my throat hurts so much despite how much water i drink... try finding a job in SF, good parts of LA, or OC or SD. its just very difficult .not going to lie, by the time you graduate, i dont even know what the market here will be like.even new jersey is saturated...i didnt find a full-time job in NJ and found one in California, so i moved here. to be honest mostly for the california lifestyle, i didnt belong to the tristate area. im too laid back for the NY mentality. but if i wasnt living on the coast in san diego i would rather go back to the east coast, most parts of california is undesirable no man's land.

Having lived in Philly and now the Bay Area, I would say both have their positives and negatives.

Both of these sound exactly like my situation. Home town is in NJ and going to college in PA. You guys both ended up moving to California after you graduated? I was thinking about doing exactly that if I can find a full time position there. I wonder how different my life would be though, you both moved to CA without knowing anyone at all and just set yourself up in an apartment near your job?

Both of these sound exactly like my situation. Home town is in NJ and going to college in PA. You guys both ended up moving to California after you graduated? I was thinking about doing exactly that if I can find a full time position there. I wonder how different my life would be though, you both moved to CA without knowing anyone at all and just set yourself up in an apartment near your job?

There are always:
  • Yoga class/Dance class for beautiful chicks
  • Meetup.com
  • Yelp.com
  • Church/or insert whatever religious building here
  • Bars/Clubs/Pubs
  • Co-workers
  • Roommates
  • Sport Leagues
  • Organization/a club with similar interest
  • Volunteering
  • A party, should be some strangers you can talk to
  • Craigslist
  • Online dating sites, yes people make friends here.
  • Through your hobby
Hang out/invite them once/twice a month = close friends. Duh... it's not that hard to make friends if you want to put in the time...

Yep, wasn't exactly looking for multiple jobs in CA, but this job came up and I didn't exactly have any other offers, so I took it. Thankfully I don't have to deal with getting a CA license, since I'm federal. With the way things are going here though, I might get one within the next few years, just so I can have a way out if I need one.

All of these kiddos jumping ship to CVS reminds me of that god awful movie The Happening where people were trying to kill themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about it. You likely won't be working for CVS for that long. After you're there for 1 month you will realize how bad it sucks. You will want to transfer out of the company. The only positive in working for CVS is that when you go somewhere else it makes that place look that much better. It's like dating the ugly girl first.

like that person said, both have positives and negatives, for me california has way more positives than negative for me personally. back in NJ, i dont feel like i was living. the last yr of pharmacy school i was working, going on rotation thats it. people stay indoor all the time and the entertainment options are so little compared to here. but now my life is more colorful because i do so much that coastal california has to offer.

Last edited:
^^ Is it difficult to secure a job in SD when you are out of state?

^^ Is it difficult to secure a job in SD when you are out of state?
yeah, i was on the east coast when i landed a job in SD. but i feel that if you live in california and went to school out of state, its much easier.

going to a top notch, established school with a big name helps too. i feel that all the new hires in the recent years went to really good schools.