Illegal immigrants taking American medical school spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSox143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a very open-minded person I'd call myself a liberal thinker but amidst the competition of medical school this is a bit annoying and discouraging. The article was on the AAMCs Facebook page today when they do their daily "spin someone's boring story into something that seems marginally less boring" however this one kind of got on my nerves I'm not okay with giving up my perspective spot at a top school just cuz it's "cool" to let in undocumented immigrants , with the middle class and URMs already phased out the last thing we need is this. I'm in no way conservative socially and have no problems with illegal immigrants in many facets of society but I do not agree with it in an already competitive state regulated process like medical admissions. I'm not okay with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I immigrate to be an in-state applicant at Texas then?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a very open-minded person I'd call myself a liberal thinker but amidst the competition of medical school this is a bit annoying and discouraging. The article was on the AAMCs Facebook page today when they do their daily "spin someone's boring story into something that seems marginally less boring" however this one kind of got on my nerves I'm not okay with giving up my perspective spot at a top school just cuz it's "cool" to let in undocumented immigrants , with the middle class and URMs already phased out the last thing we need is this. I'm in no way conservative socially and have no problems with illegal immigrants in many facets of society but I do not agree with it in an already competitive state regulated process like medical admissions. I'm not okay with it.

It could be argued that they should not receive federal loans, and also that they would have difficulty getting a job in the US after medical school (work-based visas are limited), but if they work hard to earn good grades and are otherwise as competitive as anyone of us, then they should be allowed to participate in the application 'game' like the rest of us.

Getting into med school is not a walk in the park, so these illegals are showing a lot of the values Americans treasure (dedication, hard work, improving ones' circumstances) if they are applying and getting accepted to medical school.

Reactions: 12 users
Who else is going to choose to be a primary care doctor in rural Texas/Arizona/etc? This Red Sox fan, unlikely. A recent immigrant from medico whose family set up roots in those areas? Likely.

I'm in no way conservative socially and have no problems with illegal immigrants in many facets of society but I do not agree with it in an already competitive state regulated process like medical admissions. I'm not okay with it.

All I read was "I'm in no way against immigration except when it affects me". Do you support illegal immigrants working low-paid jobs? I'm sure there are many American's that don't support this because it affects them directly. To them, those jobs are competitive. You have to pick a side, you're either supportive of immigrants or your not.

In my opinion, the most qualified students should be accepted to medical school, period. If someone was brought here or arrived here illegally, and have become competitive enough to earn admission to a US medical school, they have my support. Medical school is about creating doctors, not about being fair to american college graduates.

Reactions: 23 users
Really though- how many illegal immigrants are there going to medical school? Besides they actually do have huge hardships vs. the middle-class (and often upper-middle class) URMs that take up spots with their 3.3's and 27's.

I'm not okay with people who think they're more entitled to a med school spot because of where they were born, taking up medical school spots.

Reactions: 30 users
I'm not okay with giving up my perspective spot at a top school just cuz it's "cool" to let in undocumented immigrants

Top schools don't let in applicants because they think it'll be cool. It's amusing that you think you're entitled to your spot though.

Reactions: 9 users
At this point, I'm actually starting to root against the OP.

Reactions: 4 users
Top schools don't let in applicants because they think it'll be cool. It's amusing that you think you're entitled to your spot though.

I'm not going to get into a top school but someone who worked hard is going to lose their spot

Also I can't apply to other state schools but an illegal immigrant can apply anywhere I'm guessing , glad I had to get 20 pages of crap to prove I'm from my state.

I'm not going to get into a top school but someone who worked hard is going to lose their spot

To someone who worked harder than them? Oh the tragic unfairness of life!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really though- how many illegal immigrants are there going to medical school? Besides they actually do have huge hardships vs. the middle-class (and often upper-middle class) URMs that take up spots with their 3.3's and 27's.

How presumptuous: that URMs must be getting in with 3.3s and 27s. Quite a broad statement that comes across a bit sour. Because Lord knows there aren't any folks in the "majority" who are "taking up spots" with less than stellar numbers. Heaven knows of those URMs "taking up spots" none of them EARNED a GPA>3.8 or an MCAT>35! Just stop it.

Reactions: 4 users
If I was competitive for a top school I probably wouldn't of made this thread haha it's mainly the principle of losing a spot regardless who it is, idk seeing Aamc Promoting it like that and publishing the article made me mad cuz I'm in the middle of trying to get a spot like others and it's just not fair , they shouldn't be promoting "hey illegal? Come to medschool ! NBD" well dammit it actually is a BD

This is exactly why that story and student are important.

Reactions: 1 users
All I read was "I'm in no way against immigration except when it affects me". Do you support illegal immigrants working low-paid jobs? I'm sure there are many American's that don't support this because it affects them directly. To them, those jobs are competitive. You have to pick a side, you're either supportive of immigrants or your not.

In my opinion, the most qualified students should be accepted to medical school, period. If someone was brought here or arrived here illegally, and have become competitive enough to earn admission to a US medical school, they have my support. Medical school is about creating doctors, not about being fair to american college graduates.

Are you stupid or just trying to be? Last time I checked, medical students aren't openly allowed to commit felonies. I don't give a **** what your support or opinion is. The law is the law. If a medical school is harboring a known felon, they are also committing a federal offense. But hey, I suppose you think it's cool for your buddies to pop into the local 7/11 between classes and pull money out of the register, cuz hey they're competitive enough physically with the clerk to steal money, right?

Do I support illegal immigrants working low-paid jobs? As opposed to what, high paying jobs? Are you joking me?

God d*mn pre-allo. Use your brain, I promise you'll have to use it one day.

To someone who worked harder than them? Oh the tragic unfairness of life!

Oh wow I forgot if I worked hard, that means I can openly commit felonies. Stupid

I just find it wrong that they go through lengths to make sure we can't apply out if state or it'd take a miracle regardless of stats to get into an out if state state school when undocumented immigrants can apply wherever probably. And how naive can you be to think medical schools actually pick the best applicants for the job, yeah right seems like a crap shoot if you have semi decent stats and clinical experience

Are you stupid or just trying to be? Last time I checked, medical students aren't openly allowed to commit felonies. I don't give a **** what your support or opinion is. The law is the law. If a medical school is harboring a known felon, they are also committing a federal offense. But hey, I suppose you think it's cool for your buddies to pop into the local 7/11 between classes and pull money out of the register, cuz hey they're competitive enough physically with the clerk to steal money, right?

Do I support illegal immigrants working low-paid jobs? As opposed to what, high paying jobs? Are you joking me?

God d*mn pre-allo. Use your brain, I promise you'll have to use it one day.

A 9-year-old can't be convicted of a felony.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh wow I forgot if I worked hard, that means I can openly commit felonies. Stupid

It's scary how much logic you lack...especially considering that you will be a doctor some day.

Reactions: 6 users
How presumptuous: that URMs must be getting in with 3.3s and 27s. Quite a broad statement that comes across a bit sour. Because Lord knows there aren't any folks in the "majority" who are "taking up spots" with less than stellar numbers. Heaven knows of those URMs "taking up spots" none of them EARNED a GPA>3.8 or an MCAT>35! Just stop it.
Sure. But the vast majority of accepted applicants with crappy stats and/or ECs are URM. I understand why that is the case, but I won't deny that it annoys the heck out of me.

If I was competitive for a top school I probably wouldn't of made this thread haha it's mainly the principle of losing a spot regardless who it is, idk seeing Aamc Promoting it like that and publishing the article made me mad cuz I'm in the middle of trying to get a spot like others and it's just not fair , they shouldn't be promoting "hey illegal? Come to medschool ! NBD" well dammit it actually is a BD
It's not losing a spot to anyone. You never earned that spot in the first place. Get over yourself.

I immigrated from Canada in hopes of getting into med school and putting my music career on hold...I worked just as hard if not harder than people here...you don't think I deserve the same chance and opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I immigrated from Canada in hopes of getting into med school and putting my music career on hold...I worked just as hard if not harder than people here...you don't think I deserve the same chance and opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes because legal immigration is clearly the same thing as illegal immigration. my god what do they feed you guys?

Can any of you read? OP has a problem with illegals getting spots, not immigrants. We're all immigrants. An immigrant is as much American as I am. An illegal? No.

Reactions: 2 users
I just find it wrong that they go through lengths to make sure we can't apply out if state or it'd take a miracle regardless of stats to get into an out if state state school when undocumented immigrants can apply wherever probably. And how naive can you be to think medical schools actually pick the best applicants for the job, yeah right seems like a crap shoot if you have semi decent stats and clinical experience
Huh?

Yeah and they wouldn't be applying to medical school as an illegal because they'd get their green card by the time they're 22....

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, black applicants get in with 3.3s and 27s. Black: (GPA: 3.20-3.39 & MCAT: 27-29) 82% accepted. (Source: AMCAS)
I think everybody is well aware of this phenomenon (especially on SDN). You can try to make a flimsy case that I'm a racist (though I would strongly disagree) but there's zero basis for the case that they aren't getting in with very substandard academic records.

But I withdraw my earlier sentiment for other reasons: So few African Americans apply anyway (and thus so few seats taken) that it's not really worth complaining about.

Last edited:
yes because legal immigration is clearly the same thing as illegal immigration. my god what do they feed you guys?

Can any of you read? OP has a problem with illegals getting spots, not immigrants. We're all immigrants. An immigrant is as much American as I am. An illegal? No.

When our families immigrated, the only requirements were that you not have a communicable disease, and that you not be Chinese. Things have changed. When you have lived in the United States for as long as you remember, and consider it your home, you shouldn't have to leave because we have a bunch of *****s in congress.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

No dumbsh*t you don't. Our country deports 0 people per year who were brought in under the age of 16 and can prove they are working or studying. Want to see it in writing?

When our families immigrated, the only requirements were that you not have a communicable disease, and that you not be Chinese. Things have changed. When you have lived in the United States for as long as you remember, and consider it your home, you shouldn't have to leave because we have a bunch of *****s in congress.

What does this even mean? If your family is a citizen, you have an extreme fast track to citizenship, where you can obtain a visa instantly, no questions asked. Have to leave? Who is forcing you out? Again, we deport 0 people that were brought into the country 16- and are either a) working or b) studying.

Get 'em back.

Illegally immigrate to another country, then take a spot in one of their medical schools.

No dumbsh*t you don't. Our country deports 0 people per year who were brought in under the age of 16 and can prove they are working or studying. Want to see it in writing?

I know this, from experience, to not be true. Are you talking about the thing that certain members of congress want to impeach the president over? You realize that that could change with a new administration, right?

Illegal immigration and URM debate in 1 thread? :corny:

I don't have a position in this, but illegal immigrants are considered international applicants for most schools. Very few are adopting them as an OOS applicant, but I don't think there's any that view them as the same as IS applicants. Even when applying OOS schools, you have an upper hand in getting in vs. an illegal immigrant.

Most of pre-allo is left leaning and believe the world is rainbow and butterflies. Also its thanks to sort of thinking of not deporting any children that we have a crisis going on:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/central-american-migrant-wave-tests-schools-1407968536

Edit: better article

Also, almost every country has stringent immigration so idk why the US should be different. Heck, its harder to be a citizen of Mexico than the US!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this, from experience, to not be true. Are you talking about the thing that certain members of congress want to impeach the president over? You realize that that could change with a new administration, right?

lol your experience trumps white house press releases. Okie doke chief. Yeah it could change, however we're not talking about that, we're talking about right now. They could make computers illegal in another administration, yet I'm not sitting here talking about it. lol who the hell talks about something that could be a policy someone adopts in the future?

pre-allo you're really disappointing me. surely you're better than this.

Hmm, I bet as an undocumented immigrant, I would not feel comfortable being treated by some of the future physicians on this thread. Glad at least one medical school sees the valuable perspective students like the one featured in this article will bring to a class and the clinic.

lol your experience trumps white house press releases. Okie doke chief. Yeah it could change, however we're not talking about that, we're talking about right now. They could make computers illegal in another administration, yet I'm not sitting here talking about it. lol who the hell talks about something that could be a policy someone adopts in the future?

pre-allo you're really disappointing me. surely you're better than this.
This White House*

I don't think I would have outed myself with the possibility of Romney being elected....

Illegal immigration and URM debate in 1 thread? :corny:

I don't have a position in this, but illegal immigrants are considered international applicants for most schools. Very few are adopting them as an OOS applicant, but I don't think there's any that view them as the same as IS applicants. Even when applying OOS schools, you have an upper hand in getting in vs. an illegal immigrant.

Most of pre-allo is left leaning and believe the world is rainbow and butterflies. Also its thanks to sort of thinking of not deporting any children that we have a crisis going on:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raul-hinojosaojeda/what-is-driving-the-centr_b_5788206.html

Also, almost every country has stringent immigration so idk why the US should be different. Heck, its harder to be a citizen of Mexico than the US!

I agree with you about the "rainbows and butterflies" ! Like most of these people think "the right applicants actually do get in" how naive can you be about how the world works , most of the kids I knew who cheated on tests and bullied other kids are at Harvard now while the kids who worked hard settle for less. And I think people are taking the moral high ground here to make themselves feel good or look good, like if I was one of these kids I'd find a thread like this and comment " well if they're right for medicine they'll get in and it'll all work out" OMG your like Gandhi

Hmm, I bet as an undocumented immigrant, I would not feel comfortable being treated by some of the future physicians on this thread. Glad at least one medical school sees the valuable perspective students like the one featured in this article will bring to a class and the clinic.

lol what they're doing is literally committing a felony. I wouldn't feel comfortable with you being a physician if you can't take the EXTREMELY SIMPLE steps to become a citizen. neither would every other school that doesn't openly commit felonies.

you have 0 means of talking about future potential policy in this discussion. citizenship pathways can't just be evoked immediately, you get grandfathered in... IE since based god Obama is president and has his policies that make your task easy and you start it and then big bad mean romney who hates illegals gets elected and he changes the policy YOU'RE STILL OK. so again, what you're saying has 0 purpose in this thread.

Welp that's right our opinions determine our ability to treat patients, one of the physicians I work with in Boston is one of the most influential oncologists probably ever and he has strong opinions on this. He talks about it a lot and he went to Harvard. He's an amazing guy. Sounds like the majority of people on here would tell a terminal patient they're gonna be fine because they can't accept the world isn't fair.

lol what they're doing is literally committing a felony. I wouldn't feel comfortable with you being a physician if you can't take the EXTREMELY SIMPLE steps to become a citizen. neither would every other school that doesn't openly commit felonies.

you have 0 means of talking about future potential policy in this discussion. citizenship pathways can't just be evoked immediately, you get grandfathered in... IE since based god Obama is president and has his policies that make your task easy and you start it and then big bad mean romney who hates illegals gets elected and he changes the policy YOU'RE STILL OK. so again, what you're saying has 0 purpose in this thread.

You are very ignorant on this subject, but you are so outspoken... That is usually the case though.

You scare me. For somebody who is going to be a doctor one day, you really have a short fuse and a serious inability to empathize. Those are not good characteristics to have going into this field...

Boil down, homie.

I wouldn't blame someone for staying in the US after coming here as a child because the immigration system is broken. Just like I applaud those who break the law to give marriage licenses to gay couples in jurisdictions where it is illegal.

Reactions: 5 users
You scare me. For somebody who is going to be a doctor one day, you really have a short fuse and a serious inability to empathize. Those are not good characteristics to have going into this field...

Boil down, homie.

Another genius pre-med comment. So I'm in medical school and actually see patients and interact with them but you understand more about empathizing and my ability to do so from an internet discussion. Good point It's not this field, we are no in the same field. I am training in the medical field, you are training to apply to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.