Illegal immigrants taking American medical school spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not an illegal immigrant. Thank god. But if I were.... This would of hurt my feelings. Doctors of tomorrow :/ I understand your point but everyone have the right to follow their dreams. Maybe that illegal immigrant has a kind heart that genuinely will like to help the uninsured and underserved.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You know nothing about the level of investment (financial or otherwise) both personal as well as at the state and federal level when it comes to creating a physician. That's what you don't know.

Which would be relevant, had I mentioned at any time anything about medical schools accepting illegal immigrants. But, sadly, I did not, so your point is moot.

Which would be relevant, had I mentioned at any time anything about medical schools accepting illegal immigrants. But, sadly, I did not, so your point is moot.
I was talking about in general. Not just for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've yet to see an "anti" argument that doesn't boil down to "Waahh they took our jobs".

Maybe you guys should be less concerned with how illegal immigrants are taking "your" med school spot and "your" residency position and more concerned with how you, with all your privilege, can't manage to be more hard working and more qualified than someone who came here with nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't you just love how everyone on sdn wants to sound politically correct! As an immigrant (legal),I don't find the AAMC story "inspiring" in the least. I see posts on "empathy/sympathy", but what about other important attributes like "integrity/honesty"? I mean.. seriously.. we get questioned about dumb stuff like a student cheating on an exam/skipping a red light and find that to be unacceptable/unethical behavior. Yet, this is acceptable somehow. I understand some of the children of illegal immigrants are caught in a mess for no fault of theirs.. But if we don't draw a line, this type of thing will become acceptable. I had to wait years to get my green card, but I came here legally. I would pick an ethical doctor over a sympathetic one any day of the week. Before someone attacks my grammar/English (most common attack on sdn/internet).. I have already established I'm an immigrant, so my English may not be "perfect."

So this is your reason to let illegal immigrants apply to U.S. medical schools? You think the bolded won't happen with them?
It will happen regardless of citizenship status, so rather than getting upset about it I only focus on it not happening to me and allow Adcoms to choose whom they see fit to learn medicine at their schools. Like I said, if you work hard enough, why not give you a chance at pursuing happiness? That's what America stands for anyway.

Really, this discussion is like discussing politics or MD vs. DO, it always ends up in flames. I already stated my opinion, you guys can keep on going if you wish.

Don't you just love how everyone on sdn wants to sound politically correct! As an immigrant (legal),I don't find the AAMC story "inspiring" in the least. I see posts on "empathy/sympathy", but what about other important attributes like "integrity/honesty"? I mean.. seriously.. we get questioned about dumb stuff like a student cheating on an exam/skipping a red light and find that to be unacceptable/unethical behavior. Yet, this is acceptable somehow. I understand some of the children of illegal immigrants are caught in a mess for no fault of theirs.. But if we don't draw a line, this type of thing will become acceptable. I had to wait years to get my green card, but I came here legally. I would pick an ethical doctor over a sympathetic one any day of the week. Before someone attacks my grammar/English (most common attack on sdn/internet).. I have already established I'm an immigrant, so my English may not be "perfect."

The difference is these people are trying to build a better life for their families...sure stealing is wrong but is it really that wrong if you're trying to feed a starving child? That's what people mean by empathy, having a little thought that the world and laws aren't black and white. I'm also a "legal immigrant" who came here with my family, yet I'm not bitter that others have gotten in "easier".

It will happen regardless of citizenship status, so rather than getting upset about it I only focus on it not happening to me and allow Adcoms to choose whom they see fit to learn medicine at their schools. Like I said, if you work hard enough, why not give you a chance at pursuing happiness? That's what America stands for anyway.

Really, this discussion is like discussing politics or MD vs. DO, it always ends up in flames. I already stated my opinion, you guys can keep on going if you wish.
Medical school admissions officers are not gods. They are accountable to the general public esp. as many medical schools are highly subsidized by taxpayer dollars to function. Medical schools by logistics can not take everyone who works hard. It's why Caribbean med schools have made a killing off of it.

The difference is these people are trying to build a better life for their families...sure stealing is wrong but is it really that wrong if you're trying to feed a starving child? That's what people mean by empathy, having a little thought that the world and laws aren't black and white. I'm also a "legal immigrant" who came here with my family, yet I'm not bitter that others have gotten in "easier".
I understand, but for me, the issue is not about getting into medical school. The issue is the fact it is becoming okay to do things illegally.. Being ethical/responsible is also important isn't it?

I understand, but for me, the issue is not about getting into medical school. The issue is the fact it is becoming okay to do things illegally.. Being ethical/responsible is also important isn't it?

But again I ask you, is it unethical to steal to feed yourself if you're starving? Sure, the analogy may be an exaggeration (a lot of times it's not), but since you're concerned with ethics it's an important question.

What would you suppose the kids do? Turn themselves in and be deported back where they can live on the side of the street, starve, and die alone with no family? Fabulous idea. This issue is a lot more complicated than you make it seem.

Reactions: 2 users
What would you suppose the kids do? Turn themselves in and be deported back where they can live on the side of the street, starve, and die alone with no family? Fabulous idea. This issue is a lot more complicated than you make it seem.
I'm sure if they are smart enough to get into medical school in the US, they can do something more productive when they go back home. I never said the issue wasn't complicated. Please don't put words in my mouth. I just said, that we should draw a line.
But again I ask you, is it unethical to steal to feed yourself if you're starving? Sure, the analogy may be an exaggeration (a lot of times it's not), but since you're concerned with ethics it's an important question.
I know there isn't a simple answer, but I just have a different stance on this issue that you. That's why some schools find this okay, while others don't.

I'm sure if they are smart enough to get into medical school in the US, they can do something more productive when they go back home. I never said the issue wasn't complicated. Please don't put words in my mouth. I just said, that we should draw a line.

I know there isn't a simple answer, but I just have a different stance on this issue that you. That's why some schools find this okay, while others don't.

You realize these people aren't from Switzerland, right? Many of the people who choose to come here illegally are facing violence and extreme poverty back home.

Members don't see this ad :)
So many bleeding-heart liberals on SDN. Wow.

For those of you that support illegal immigrants you need to brush up on what "laws" are. While you are at it, look up what national sovereignty means.

Is that what you would do after busting your ass to getting accepted to medical school in the US? In any case, I wasn't talking about the student who got accepted. You claim that people who are here illegally (including children) lack honesty, ethics, and responsibility. Now I'm calling you out on this by saying what would a kid who wants to be a so-called "responsible, ethical, and honest" person do in this case?

What if a child aspires to be an honest, ethical, and responsible doctor in the future? Would you go up to that kid and tell them that they are an illegal human being in these United States and that they should just turn themselves in and be deported back to their own country? That would be the right thing to do if they wanted to be a doctor, wouldn't it? As a kid, they will most certainly die alone in that country but at least it's the honest and responsible thing to do!

You realize these people aren't from Switzerland, right? Many of the people who choose to come here illegally are facing violence and extreme poverty back home.
What is your bright idea then? Bring every single person from very poverty stricken nation to America? I am from a country that is stricken with poverty, yet I don't feel the same way you do.. People from entitled countries try to sympathize a hell of a lot for our "third world countries." Encouraging a wrong habit is not doing us any good. Change needs to be within the internal infrastructure of our countries. America is not a free for all, there are rules and regulations that you must abide by. I will take your exaggerated analogy one step forward... You talked about stealing.. Is it okay to kill someone for food? Where is the right answer?

Is that what you would do after busting your ass to getting accepted to medical school in the US? In any case, I wasn't talking about the student who got accepted. You claim that people who are here illegally (including children) lack honesty, ethics, and responsibility. Now I'm calling you out on this by saying what would a kid who wants to be a so-called "responsible, ethical, and honest" person do in this case?

What if a child aspires to be an honest, ethical, and responsible doctor in the future? Would you go up to that kid and tell them that they are an illegal human being in these United States and that they should just turn themselves in and be deported back to their own country? That would be the right thing to do if they wanted to be a doctor, wouldn't it? As a kid, they will most certainly die alone in that country but at least it's the honest and responsible thing to do!
Da faq is an illegal human being? Illegal alien you mean.. Yes actually Iwould ask them to go back.. And I would ask them to come here legally like the other 99% of us who busted our asses off did.

Da faq is an illegal human being? Illegal alien you mean.. Yes actually Iwould ask them to go back.. And I would ask them to come here legally like the other 99% of us who busted our asses off did.

Changing the semantics doesn't change the point of view, so let's not focus on that.

Okay, so I assume that you were able to gain legal citizenship to the United States all by yourself without any help from anyone else at the age of 6? AND you were able to do this while working enough to provide yourself with sustenance to survive? You must have been quite the remarkable kid.

What is your bright idea then? Bring every single person from very poverty stricken nation to America? I am from a country that is stricken with poverty, yet I don't feel the same way you do.. People from entitled countries try to sympathize a hell of a lot for our "third world countries." Encouraging a wrong habit is not doing us any good. Change needs to be within the internal infrastructure of our countries. America is not a free for all, there are rules and regulations that you must abide by. I will take your exaggerated analogy one step forward... You talked about stealing.. Is it okay to kill someone for food? Where is the right answer?

I don't have a bright idea, I didn't claim I did, I was illustrating the point that the people who come here can't just go back home and live well. And, hun, I'm also from a third world country.

The reason the analogy works with stealing is because people use the argument that they're taking jobs and school seats (which is a ridiculous point), it doesn't work with murder because they aren't killing anyone.

I didn't know the law made a differentiation based on your reason for stealing. I'll remember that next time I decide to rob a bank.
There's are a variety of reasons that countries have immigration laws.

I didn't know the law made a differentiation based on your reason for stealing. I'll remember that next time I decide to rob a bank.
There's are a variety of reasons that countries have immigration laws.

Obviously, the law doesn't make a distinction. The poster I was responding to was saying it's ethically/morally wrong, and I'm challenging this.

Changing the semantics doesn't change the point of view, so let's not focus on that.

Okay, so I assume that you were able to gain legal citizenship to the United States all by yourself without any help from anyone else at the age of 6? AND you were able to do this while working enough to provide yourself with sustenance to survive? You must have been quite the remarkable kid.
Sighs. No use talking to someone who only has a 1-dimensional view. You can continue supporting illegal immigration. I just hope America is smart enough to hold its integrity and support people who not only work hard once they get here, but also those who have worked hard to get here to begin with.

Hahahaha oh I love this. Lets belittle and mock a person who came here legally and earned citizenship the right way by following the rules of these United States and respecting this country's sovereignty.

Obviously, the law doesn't make a distinction. The poster I was responding to was saying it's ethically/morally wrong, and I'm challenging this.
Stealing is ethically and morally wrong. That's why we have laws that are adopted against it, bc the public thinks it is as well.

Sighs. No use talking to someone who only has a 1-dimensional view. You can continue supporting illegal immigration. I just hope America is smart enough to hold its integrity and support people who not only work hard once they get here, but also those who have worked hard to get here to begin with.

You mean "I have nothing to respond to this because I am in a corner, but I'll use an ad hominem and form some sort of attack at the person instead of his point". I never brought in my position on immigration. I'm calling you out on your claim that people who are here due to reasons outside of their control are considered "unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible".

Hahahaha oh I love this. Lets belittle and mock a person who came here legally and earned citizenship the right way by following the rules of these United States and respecting this country's sovereignty.

I think you need to read before you type. It's a useful skill. The person claimed that 99% of people who got legal citizenship were able to do so as a kid without any support because it's just that easy and that anyone who doesn't do so is not responsible, honest, nor ethical, as I brought this up:

Would you go up to that kid and tell them that they are an illegal human being in these United States and that they should just turn themselves in and be deported back to their own country?

And they responded with this:

I would ask them to come here legally like the other 99% of us who busted our asses off did.

I don't have a bright idea, I didn't claim I did, I was illustrating the point that the people who come here can't just go back home and live well. And, hun, I'm also from a third world country.

The reason the analogy works with stealing is because people use the argument that they're taking jobs and school seats (which is a ridiculous point), it doesn't work with murder because they aren't killing anyone.
I don't have a great plan either. I wasn't ever concerned about IA taking up med school spots in this post, I just don't think it is right to encourage illegal immigration. That's all. I understand your pov, yes it is sad. But, America does offer legal residents a chance to a great living. It's just not feasible to let everyone come in.

You mean "I have nothing to respond to this because I am in a corner, but I'll use an ad hominem and form some sort of attack at the person instead of his point". I never brought in my position on immigration. I'm calling you out on your claim that people who are here due to reasons outside of their control are considered "unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible".
Respond to what? There is no use debating with someone who is so hard headed to even listen, let alone understand anyone elses POV.

Stealing is ethically and morally wrong. That's why we have laws that are adopted against it, bc the public thinks it is as well.

Stealing is ethically wrong, however if you're stealing food to aid your family the line becomes blurred. Also like I mentioned, this analogy is for the benefit of people who believe illegal immigrants are "stealing" american jobs which is absolutely ludicrous.

I don't have a great plan either. I wasn't ever concerned about IA taking up med school spots in this post, I just don't think it is right to encourage illegal immigration. That's all. I understand your pov, yes it is sad. But, America does offer legal residents a chance to a great living. It's just not feasible to let everyone come in.

Absolutely nobody wants to let everyone come in, the argument being made here is to treat those who came in illegally with dignity (and not call them "dishonest and immoral") and allow them the opportunity of going to med school if a school chooses to admit them.

I think you need to read before you type. It's a useful skill. The person claimed that 99% of people who got legal citizenship were able to do so as a kid without any support because it's just that easy and that anyone who doesn't do so is not responsible, honest, nor ethical, as I brought this up:

You mad bro? Her point and mine still stand. Sure legal immigrant kids like her don't bust ass themselves as little children but their families do/did and they do/did so the right way: respecting laws and sovereignty.[/QUOTE]

Respond to what? There is no use debating with someone who is so hard headed to even listen, let alone understand anyone elses POV.

I asked you a question. And you didn't respond because you were trapped into a corner. My mind is open, but yours isn't. I am clearly following the logic of your posts, but you still refuse to give me a straight answer.

Do you believe that it's easy for a 6 year old kid to turn themselves in and be deported to another country alone in order to fend for themselves and try to get legal status? Do you think that is the right thing to do? You claim 99% of you all busted your asses the same way. The reality is many MANY undocumented immigrants in the US are children who had no say in coming to the US.

Stop trying to shove words in my mouth because you don't know how to respond to this. I never asked you on your opinion on immigration policies. I'm calling out your definition of what makes an ethical and honest human being. As I said many times in this thread, I'm not here to discuss amnesty, as I have no interest in arguing over that on a pre-medical forum.

You mad bro? Her point and mine still stand. Sure legal immigrant kids like her don't bust ass themselves as little children but their families do/did and they do/did so the right way: respecting laws and sovereignty.

You clearly can't read. I never mentioned immigration policies or whether illegal immigration was right or not. I have no interest in arguing over that. I'm talking about children who clearly could not control whether they are here or not. Do you just expect them to go back to their country alone and die? Seriously, man, it's English, not a difficult language to read.

You clearly can't read. I never mentioned immigration policies or whether illegal immigration was right or not. I have no interest arguing over that. I'm talking about children who clearly could not control whether they are here or not. Do you just expect them to go back to their country alone and die? Seriously, man, it's English, not a difficult language to read.
Is it America's job to help kids from other countries not die, then?

Is it America's job to help kids from other countries not die, then?

I never said it was anyone's job. Stop trying to pull this back to immigration policies. I'm addressing the fact that she said undocumented immigrants, including children who had no control over being here, are unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible.

If she had said "I can't support illegal immigration. There would be too many problems if our country didn't draw a line somewhere, no matter how unfair it is", then I would have never responded to her. There are many people in this thread who are against illegal immigration and I don't bat an eye. Not my interest to tell them what to believe in.

@Aerus, I think people aren't responding to your deeper questioning because they are unable to think of a deeper response to match. This is what happens when people get cornered with difficult (and often ethical) questions that require a lot of thought: they panic and either continue to avoid answering your question or attack you. I get you, though. It's incredibly important to think through these situations.

I never said it was anyone's job. Stop trying to pull this back to immigration policies. I'm addressing the fact that she said undocumented immigrants, including children who had no control over being here, are unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible.

If she had said "I can't support illegal immigration. There would be too many problems if our country didn't draw a line somewhere, no matter how unfair it is", then I would have never responded to her. There are many people in this thread who are against illegal immigration and I don't bat an eye. Not my interest to tell them what to believe in.
Understandable. But my opinion with illegals is still the same as hers whether or not you care about the policies about it or not. The very fact that they broke laws and disrespected our country's sovereignty IS unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible.

Understandable. But my opinion with illegals is still the same as hers whether or not you care about the policies about it or not. The very fact that they broke laws and disrespected our country's sovereignty IS unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible.

My only beef with what she said was that even kids who were forced here were, by definition, unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible. That's like saying a child is unethical because their parents stole food to feed the child. Whether you believe the parents abide by that definition or not is a whole different discussion that I would rather not get into.

@Aerus, I think people aren't responding to your deeper questioning because they are unable to think of a deeper response to match. This is what happens when people get cornered with difficult (and often ethical) questions that require a lot of thought: they panic and either continue to avoid answering your question or attack you. I get you, though. It's incredibly important to think through these situations.

I do have very strong opinions on these issues discussed in the thread and I have DEFINITELY gotten into heated debates regarding amnesty before, but it never turns out well. I only post in this thread to call out posts that I find truly morally wrong, such as entitlement over other human beings and anger at their misfortune due to your own privilege. Stuff like that. :p

I appreciate your passion for these issues though and I still stand by my post weeks earlier that you're one of my favorite SDN posters. :cool:

I asked you a question. And you didn't respond because you were trapped into a corner. My mind is open, but yours isn't. I am clearly following the logic of your posts, but you still refuse to give me a straight answer.

Do you believe that it's easy for a 6 year old kid to turn themselves in and be deported to another country alone in order to fend for themselves and try to get legal status? Do you think that is the right thing to do? You claim 99% of you all busted your asses the same way. The reality is many MANY undocumented immigrants in the US are children who had no say in coming to the US.

Stop trying to shove words in my mouth because you don't know how to respond to this. I never asked you on your opinion on immigration policies. I'm calling out your definition of what makes an ethical and honest human being. As I said many times in this thread, I'm not here to discuss amnesty, as I have no interest in arguing over that on a pre-medical forum.
1. Why should I bother answering your pathetic little question anyway?
2. Like I said before (unless you didn't bother reading), I would still send them back, regardless..
3. Not my problem, wrong is wrong.
4. What the hell did I shove in your mouth? There is nothing left to say, since you already have done all the talking, and little to no listening.
5. Certainly not one, you think is ethical.

I don't care to discuss anything with you anyway. Have me cornered? Please. Get a life.

That is exactly what I said..
Please read.

I never claimed this. I said like the other "99% of people who came here legally" that's it. Never talked about age/circumstances. I just talked about the legality. So please don't misrepresent my statements.
Again, my issue is not about illegal aliens taking up jobs/med schools spots. My issues is "illegal immigration" period. And, again, that is what I have consistently been talking about.

That is exactly what I said..

Please read.

Wonderful, you understand it's important to read. This will be a lot easier then. You can take your own advice. I have repeatedly clearly stated that my problem isn't with what your opinion on this issue. It's that you claimed that undocumented immigrants INCLUDING CHILDREN are somehow unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible. FOR WHAT? For being born?! I will spell out the quotes for you. Please read CAREFULLY.

I'm addressing the fact that she said undocumented immigrants, including children who had no control over being here, are unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible.

but what about other important attributes like "integrity/honesty"? I mean.. seriously.. we get questioned about dumb stuff like a student cheating on an exam/skipping a red light and find that to be unacceptable/unethical behavior.

I understand some of the children of illegal immigrants are caught in a mess for no fault of theirs.. But if we don't draw a line, this type of thing will become acceptable. I would pick an ethical doctor over a sympathetic one any day of the week.

Wonderful, you understand it's important to read. This will be a lot easier then. You can take your own advice. I have repeatedly clearly stated that my problem isn't with what your opinion on this issue. It's that you claimed that undocumented immigrants INCLUDING CHILDREN are somehow unethical, dishonest, and irresponsible. FOR WHAT? For being born?! I will spell out the quotes for you. Please read CAREFULLY.
Yes, and your point is? I still stand by all of those posts. I don't find illegal immigration ethical.

EDIT:
Belittling someone doesn't make you win an argument. I respect you have your opinion, even though I don't agree with you. And feeling strongly about something, doesn't make it right. I still stand by everything I say. I just don't want to continue arguing with you, because it is leading nowhere.

Yes, and your point is? I still stand by all of those posts. I don't find illegal immigration ethical.

Yes, because you're somehow so irresponsible and so dishonest through actions which were not under your control. Telling kids it's their fault for being born. You'll make a fantastic doctor.

Last one for the night buddy, don't get too heated now. Its ok, breathe buddy.

you do realize that ethics and morals are subjective right?

Yes, because you're somehow so irresponsible and so dishonest through actions which were not under your control. Telling kids it's their fault for being born. You'll make a fantastic doctor.
Haha classic. So mature..

Last one for the night buddy, don't get too heated now. Its ok, breathe buddy.

you do realize that ethics and morals are subjective right?

You must be new here. Pro tip for the interwebz: interpreting tone here is not something you do.

I use capitalization to emphasize key words. Punctuation is to express the ridiculous of the quoted statement.

Last edited:
It is never right to tell a CHILD that they're wrong or unethical for something out of their control, like being born as an illegal immigrant. Catlady123, don't go into peds. Your blatant disregard for children's lives disgusts me. One should ALWAYS make a special case for children. ALWAYS. Laws and rules are NOT black and white. That's why ethics exists, because there is ALWAYS grey area.

Haha classic. So mature..

Am I not telling the truth? Clearly, you can understand the concerns most people in this country would have with your beliefs regarding calling children dishonest and irresponsible simply for being born in more unfortunate circumstances than you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.