Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nordi.... gotta say, I think I got your spot! :D

Now to find a place to live...

I certainly hope so!!!! I'm super-duper-glad that my deciding to go to Mizzou opened up a spot for someone else at U of I. I wanted to go out of state & have a bit more adventure (having lived in the same town in IL my entire 28 years, except for 2.5 years of undergrad spent living in Charleston, IL), so "going away" for school was my first real chance to do that.

Super-duper-uber-mega excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D (as I believe I demonstrated in the Acceptances thread ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Nordi.... gotta say, I think I got your spot! :D

Now to find a place to live...

Yay! Congratulations! If you go on the Facebook page, there are quite a few postings for housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Congratulations! If you go on the Facebook page, there are quite a few postings for housing.

Tco, I think I am slightly incompetent when it comes to searching facebook for a certain group. Are you talking about a 2016 group or just the UI Vet med page? Do you have a link by chance? :oops:

Tco, I think I am slightly incompetent when it comes to searching facebook for a certain group. Are you talking about a 2016 group or just the UI Vet med page? Do you have a link by chance? :oops:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/273300922725588/

And if that doesn't work, it's University of Illinois Veterinary Class of 2016. You have to ask to be added but it took less than a day for my request to be approved so you shouldn't have to wait long!

And don't feel bad about not being able to find the group. It took me forever because of how picky the search engine is about which terms are entered....

And don't feel bad about not being able to find the group. It took me forever because of how picky the search engine is about which terms are entered....

Thanks! I did a search and could not find the page. The linked helped a ton!

Hey everyone, for the fafsa, did you just put University of Illinois, or is there a specific code for the vet school? Thanks!

Hey everyone, for the fafsa, did you just put University of Illinois, or is there a specific code for the vet school? Thanks!

It's just the U of I code. I called and asked after the fact to make sure. Did anyone else get their financial aid package yet? I'm a little disappointed with mine.

It's just the U of I code. I called and asked after the fact to make sure. Did anyone else get their financial aid package yet? I'm a little disappointed with mine.

Yes I did and I was disappointed too. I was really hoping I would qualify for the Health Professionals Loan but apparently between me working at a shelter and my husband being a grad student, we are too rich to qualify :/

Ok....I don't want to sound stupid, but I've never filed a FAFSA before, so I'm assuming I should do that ASAP? I'm OOS...and I'm assuming that I can get at least tuition covered with fed loans? This is probably on another thread but I figure I'll ask my future classmates...

Ok....I don't want to sound stupid, but I've never filed a FAFSA before, so I'm assuming I should do that ASAP? I'm OOS...and I'm assuming that I can get at least tuition covered with fed loans? This is probably on another thread but I figure I'll ask my future classmates...

You should file that NOW. The financial aid website says the preferential filing date is March 15. I honestly don't know if stafford loans "run out" but if they don't then you should be able to get enough loans to cover cost of attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did and I was disappointed too. I was really hoping I would qualify for the Health Professionals Loan but apparently between me working at a shelter and my husband being a grad student, we are too rich to qualify :/

Me too! I've called the financial aid office as well as the vet med office to see what the deal is. The parent's info I put on the FAFSA was less than 4,000 (not a typo) per year. I asked them if they are only giving these loans to students with parents that are homeless then. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Luckily I still have a subsidized loan to use up. Yeah I'm a rich grad too with rich parents to boot. :laugh:

Hey everyone! How did all of you find out your financial aid packages? I thought we had to wait until we were given a UIN number??

Me too! I've called the financial aid office as well as the vet med office to see what the deal is. The parent's info I put on the FAFSA was less than 4,000 (not a typo) per year. I asked them if they are only giving these loans to students with parents that are homeless then. This doesn't make sense to me at all. Luckily I still have a subsidized loan to use up. Yeah I'm a rich grad too with rich parents to boot. :laugh:

Me too! My parental income was in the 4 digit range so I was sure I would qualify but my EFC was too high according to the financial aid office.

Hey everyone! How did all of you find out your financial aid packages? I thought we had to wait until we were given a UIN number??

I worked for the university for a while so I already have a UIN.

Me too! My parental income was in the 4 digit range so I was sure I would qualify but my EFC was too high according to the financial aid office.

Yeah I'm hopeful mine is a mistake, because my EFC was calculated to be 0. I will keep calling financial aid until they can logically explain this to me and give me an answer. :)

I was assigned one when I was going to enroll at either UIUC or UIC as an undergrad. Apparently it never expired.

Hey so am I having an early panic attack or should I do something? Tuesday I was called off the wait list and rather expected my packet to be here by now. Should I call up and see if everything is alright or am I over reacting? So scared that it got lost in the mail! :scared:

bbeventer, I wouldn't worry too much.The initial letters they sent out were just that - and didn't really have anything else. They promised that more information would come in late May. Congrats again!

Hey so am I having an early panic attack or should I do something? Tuesday I was called off the wait list and rather expected my packet to be here by now. Should I call up and see if everything is alright or am I over reacting? So scared that it got lost in the mail! :scared:

I think I'm having the same panic attack you were. My packet hasn't come yet either and I would like to send my deposit in. I got called on Tuesday as well. Did yours eventually arrive?

I think I'm having the same panic attack you were. My packet hasn't come yet either and I would like to send my deposit in. I got called on Tuesday as well. Did yours eventually arrive?

Mine did, I called called off on a Tuesday and it arrived the following Monday. I live about 5 hours from the school. So it seems like it takes a bit. It know its stressful!! :scared:
Just got called off the wait list!!!

:soexcited::soexcited: Yea!!!!!!!!!!! So are you choosing Illinois?

I have a question for everyone else. Has Illinois cashed your seat deposit check yet? They have updated my status as now attending, but they still have not cashed my check which makes me nervous for two reasons: 1) I am afraid I might spend the money by accident, 2) what if they didn't get it?

Mine did, I called called off on a Tuesday and it arrived the following Monday. I live about 5 hours from the school. So it seems like it takes a bit. It know its stressful!! :scared:

:soexcited::soexcited: Yea!!!!!!!!!!! So are you choosing Illinois?

I have a question for everyone else. Has Illinois cased your seat deposit check yet? They have updated my status as now attending, but they still have not cashed my check which makes me nervous for two reasons: 1) I am afraid I might spend the money by accident, 2) what if they didn't get it?

I accepted the offer. I feel bad turning down OK State cause I was excited but I think Illinois might be a better fit even though it's going to cost me more in the end.

I accepted the offer. I feel bad turning down OK State cause I was excited but I think Illinois might be a better fit even though it's going to cost me more in the end.

Well, the Dean said there is a chance of attaining residency. Besides Illinois has the added perk of being a classmate with me :D

Woah? Did I miss that? When? I basically have to marry a resident, don't I??

1 Husband For Sale, 20 bucks. Contact Nordicat for more info. :laugh: But seriously, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Lemme know if you need me to pick you up from Midway between now and July when I move to Missouri :)

Woah? Did I miss that? When? I basically have to marry a resident, don't I??

Huh, I could be wrong, but I thought he said something like 1/3 of OOS attain residency during there time in school. I have no idea about the requirements though, but it was sounding like having a outside job was involved.

I think if they don't cash the check soon I may give them a call... just to be safe ;)

Huh, I could be wrong, but I thought he said something like 1/3 of OOS attain residency during there time in school. I have no idea about the requirements though, but it was sounding like having a outside job was involved.

I think if they don't cash the check soon I may give them a call... just to be safe ;)

Hmmm. I'll have to look into that. I really might considering being utterly miserable for a year and work PT and then the summer if it would mean I could gain in state tuition. I mean, I'm still super excited about Illinois and I was expecting to come out with around this much of debt no matter where I go, but this could be an added bonus.

And it looks like there is a football game on my bday. Tailgating anyone??

And I'm freaking out a little. Just realized I submitted my fafsa a bit after the preferential filing date. Hoping I'm not royally screwed. Which actually really sucks because I had finished my end of it wayyy in advance and my parents kept putting off giving me their information depsite me hounding them. :(

And I'm freaking out a little. Just realized I submitted my fafsa a bit after the preferential filing date. Hoping I'm not royally screwed. Which actually really sucks because I had finished my end of it wayyy in advance and my parents kept putting off giving me their information depsite me hounding them. :(

Next year, just submit it when you have your information in and estimate your parents. You have the option to go back and correct your estimations after your parents have actually filed their taxes.
I think you'll be ok. No one ever clarified what aid runs out if you don't file by the preferential date, but I would hope it's just scholarships/grants and maybe the special low interest loans (like Health Professionals) and not standard loans like Stafford.

I didn't get mine in by the preferential date either... I didn't think I was going to vet school this year :oops: Hopefully it does not make that big of a difference for us.

I actually didn't bother putting my parents info down, I heard to qualify for the HP loan the parental income has to be minimal. Sure hope I did not screw myself out of a good loan.

I have a question for everyone else. Has Illinois cashed your seat deposit check yet? They have updated my status as now attending, but they still have not cashed my check which makes me nervous for two reasons: 1) I am afraid I might spend the money by accident, 2) what if they didn't get it?[/QUOTE]

They cashed my check about a week after I sent it in.

I have a question for everyone else. Has Illinois cashed your seat deposit check yet? They have updated my status as now attending, but they still have not cashed my check which makes me nervous for two reasons: 1) I am afraid I might spend the money by accident, 2) what if they didn't get it?

They cashed my check about a week after I sent it in.[/QUOTE]

:eek: I think I may have a minor freak out now. Guess I will be calling them tomorrow! Thanks.

Has anyone gotten their info packets yet? I know we're supposed to get them this month and I really expected to have it by now.....

Nothing here yet... I keep checking my financial aid status multiple times a day too, since I may actually qualify for HPSL and a couple of the others. I'm going to be at the vet school tomorrow, so I'll probably be annoying and ask the office about it. :)

Has anyone gotten their info packets yet? I know we're supposed to get them this month and I really expected to have it by now.....

Not yet, I feel like I am back to waiting for my acceptance letter! Everyday I check my mailbox!

Nothing here yet... I keep checking my financial aid status multiple times a day too, since I may actually qualify for HPSL and a couple of the others. I'm going to be at the vet school tomorrow, so I'll probably be annoying and ask the office about it. :)

How can you check your financial aid status?

I don't think you're suppose to be able yet- that'll be part of what's being mailed out. I think the reason I can view mine online is I already have a UIN from when I was going to attend UIC or UIUC for undergrad. According to the vet school office, they don't even know our UIN's yet and that's part of what will be mailed out. My package is just a bunch of loans. They are in the process of re-reviewing mine, so I'm hoping that I'll qualify for the HPSL, LDS, or better yet the SDS.

Thanks UI.

Okay, small confession... I still have not found a place to live :scared: I have checked the FB page but everything seems to be options for 3 roommates... I don't know if I can do that, I have only ever had to space with 1 other person.

I've only had my information letter for an hour and I already submitted my request to join VIN and registered for classes. I can't decide if that makes me crazy or efficient....

BB - where else have you checked? Have you contacted the student housing union?

I have emailed, but am still waiting on a reply.

I've only had my information letter for an hour and I already submitted my request to join VIN and registered for classes. I can't decide if that makes me crazy or efficient....

I am so jealous. Was looking through that website and it feels like it is starting to get real. Kinda getting overwhelmed.