Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received my info packet today!

Members don't see this ad.

I've only had my information letter for an hour and I already submitted my request to join VIN and registered for classes. I can't decide if that makes me crazy or efficient....

What elective did you sign up for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just the Zoo Med Diagnosis one. Do you know which (if any) you're going to sign up for?

I am leaning towards the Zoo Med, just just because it sounds more interesting. I was trying to find a syllabus for the classes and couldnt so that was a bit frustrating... how can you choose a class if you don't know what it will cover?

I was really debating whether or not to peruse the MPH and I still am wanting to. But I have learned that I do not learn very good through online modules and I feel the the MPH may be a very difficult road for me if I try to force a learning style on myself I know I already suck at.

Anyways, don't we have to take a total of... oh I forget how many credits of electives? Don't most people take an elective first semester?

I am leaning towards the Zoo Med, just just because it sounds more interesting. I was trying to find a syllabus for the classes and couldnt so that was a bit frustrating... how can you choose a class if you don't know what it will cover?

I was really debating whether or not to peruse the MPH and I still am wanting to. But I have learned that I do not learn very good through online modules and I feel the the MPH may be a very difficult road for me if I try to force a learning style on myself I know I already suck at.

Anyways, don't we have to take a total of... oh I forget how many credits of electives? Don't most people take an elective first semester?

Yeah. The only information I found was in the course catalog and they're only 1-2 sentences for the Zoo Med and Contemporary Issues. The Zoo Med definitely sounds interesting but the Contemporary Issues one sounds so vague I'm not sure if it'll be helpful or extremely basic. Like it says they'll teach you how to set "actionable goals". What do they mean?!? I initially wanted to do the Public Health elective but was really put off by the fact that it's online. I've never done online courses and it doesn't sound like my thing either:(

For anyone who's interested, here's the links:
https://my.illinois.edu/uPortal/ren...n=catalogCourseView&pltp_year=2012#u41998l1n6
https://my.illinois.edu/uPortal/ren...n=catalogCourseView&pltp_year=2012#u41998l1n6

And yes, there was something on the new student page that said we need 8 credits of electives but it looks like there will be more than 3 elective options in future semesters.

I just got my packet too! I signed up for clinical practice, structure and function and zoo med. Is that all we are suppose to sign up for?

I just got my packet too! I signed up for clinical practice, structure and function and zoo med. Is that all we are suppose to sign up for?

I believe so.

Okay, well I guess I will add the ZooMed, the title alone sounds more interesting.

Thanks! I was looking at the other electives, but they're ones I don't think we are suppose to sign up for yet. Yeah zoo med will be awesome! Are you, or is anyone, applying for DVM/MPH or DVM/PhD?

Thanks! I was looking at the other electives, but they're ones I don't think we are suppose to sign up for yet. Yeah zoo med will be awesome! Are you, or is anyone, applying for DVM/MPH or DVM/PhD?

I was really considering the MPH program, but I am not very good at online class... so I think I am going to save myself the stress and skip :(

I figure if I reach the crux in my career where I really want an MPH then there are accelerated programs where you can complete it in 1.5 years. I think that is what I have decided.

Hey class of 2016! If any of you are looking for housing, my roommate and I will be vacating our house in Urbana at the end of July. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a fenced backyard with a deck, a two-car garage, and a HUGE kitchen. It takes about 5 minutes to get from the house to the school. It's very pet-friendly as well (the landlord didn't bat an eye when we had three dogs, a cat, and two rabbits). Rent is going to be $1450/month. Just thought I'd give you all a head's up in case you are looking for pet-friendly housing with no breed or size restrictions. If you're interested, send me a message and I'll put you in touch with our landlord.

I'm also selling a few things. I've got a twin-XL mattress with box spring and frame for $150. It's in excellent condition and is three years old. I'm also selling two pairs of green Pella coveralls for $40 each. They are men's size 34 tall and are worn-in and more comfortable than brand new ones. Let me know if you're interested!

Do any current students have any comments on the quality of the surgical pack we can buy through ISCAVMA? I could probably buy those instruments through my work place, but if the ones that they have in the school pack are good quality I'll just go with that.

Honestly, having bought the instrument pack my first year, I wouldn't bother. You don't use a majority of the instruments in there and the thumb forceps that come in the pack are the wrong kind for practicing suturing. If you want to buy your own, I'd get suture scissors, bandage scissors, Brown-Adson forceps, and a decent-quality needle driver. If you can get a cheap pair of hemostats, they're useful for holding your sleeve up during palpation labs. You'll eventually need a reflex hammer for clinics fourth year, but the one that came in my kit from ISCAVMA broke after one use.

Last edited:
Honestly, having bought the instrument pack my first year, I wouldn't bother. You don't use a majority of the instruments in there and the thumb forceps that come in the pack are the wrong kind for practicing suturing. If you want to buy your own, I'd get suture scissors, bandage scissors, Brown-Adson forceps, and a decent-quality needle driver. If you can get a cheap pair of hemostats, they're useful for holding your sleeve up during palpation labs. You'll eventually need a reflex hammer for clinics fourth year, but the one that came in my kit from ISCAVMA broke after one use.

Agree with all of the above - and also would add that you should get a thermometer that reads in 10 seconds or less and a light pen.

The boots & coveralls that you can purchase through ISCAVMA seem to be fine. I ended up buying my boots at the local Farm & Fleet because they were cheaper there and I could find the style/size I like. If you get your own, get a pair that can slip on over shoes. You cannot wear boots out of the teaching wards through the hospital, so it is nice to have shoes on underneath. The coveralls I got through ISCAVMA and I am happy with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How high of quality should I be aiming for with my surgical instruments? My boss referred me to this website: http://www.spectrumsurgical.com/store/Veterinary.php and they seem to have a $5, $15, and $40-$200 option for every instrument! I'm obviously not going to drop $40 for forceps in vet school, but I'm wondering if the $5 instruments on this site are going to be that much better than the ones U of I is offering.....

Also, if I don't buy all of the items, will I get in trouble? The ISCAVAMA package form says that all of the items are required and I have this vision in my head of someone demanding to see our surgical packs on the first day of school and I'll be all :scared:

What exactly did you all actually use your instruments for? And thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it!

No one demands to see your surgical pack per se, but they do sometimes ask you for stuff.

The two main times where it came in handy was during the surgical skills rotation (which you will be on either your first or second year). There you learn bandaging, suture patterns, etc. And then during other rotations a resident/intern/4th year will sometimes turn to you and ask if you have a thermometer/bandage scissors/hemostats just during general day-to-day stuff in the clinic if they don't have one handy. It isn't critical to have them there, but helpful so you don't have to run around looking for a set.

I would not spend huge amounts of money on them. It is unlikely that you will ever use these tools during actual surgery, so just get something that will be helpful in clinics to, for instance, cut off a bandage, hold back your sleeve during palpation, etc.

The only thing I felt the ISCAVMA pack was not good for was the thermometer. They were WAY too slow. I ended up going to a drug store and getting a fast one to replace it. You take temperature a lot, and the less the dog and owner are uncomfortable the better :)

Definitely don't spend a lot of money on them. You aren't going to be doing actual surgeries with them, and chances are you'll lend some of them to doctors or other students and never see them again. The instruments you can get for $5 are probably pretty close in quality to the ones you'd get from ISCAVMA. The problem I had with the ISCAVMA pack wasn't low quality, per se, but the fact that you had to buy a whole bunch of instruments you never use. I mean, they gave us towel clamps! I can tell you that in four years, no one has ever asked to borrow my towel clamp. And, again, the forceps they provide are really impractical for holding suture needles and make practicing a lot more frustrating than it needs to be.

I also wouldn't recommend buying the scrubs they offer through ISCAVMA. For the same price, you can get much better scrubs (and Illinois doesn't require you to wear a certain color, so you'd might as well get something fun).

The only things I would buy from ISCAVMA if I had it to do over again are the Pella bibs and the boot covers. If you buy your own things, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on them because chances are they'll be borrowed (forever) or lost anyways.

Thank you guys for the information! All of your input has been such a big help in deciding what to buy!!

Yes, thank you so much! Just one more question and then I'll stop, I promise! How many pairs of bibs do you think we'll need? I have a friend who gave me a pair and another friend who might give me hers. That should be enough, right?

How many pairs of bibs do you think we'll need?

On the Farm Animal Husbandry Techniques rotation they require your coveralls to be clean every day because you go to different farms. I purchased 2 sets of coveralls and so did laundry every other day that week and it worked out fine. I know people who had only 1 set and just washed them daily. It all depends on how frequently you are willing to do laundry :)

I have a question for you guys, I can't find my answer anywhere but I know at other schools you have to provide your own gloves ... do we have to provide our own at Illinois too?

I have a question for you guys, I can't find my answer anywhere but I know at other schools you have to provide your own gloves ... do we have to provide our own at Illinois too?

Yes, for anatomy you do. Not sure about other years as I haven't gotten there yet :) You also need to provide scalpel blades (though they get you started with a few). Those you can purchase at the Vet Med bookstore (along with gloves, but I found them cheaper online).

The only time we needed our own gloves was in anatomy lab first year. My groupmates and I split the cost of a giant case of them (we each got three full boxes of gloves and then split a couple extra boxes). i forget how much it worked out to per person, but it wasn't awful.

As to the bibs question, you should be fine with one or two pairs. If you're patient, I'm sure there will be plenty of fourth-years selling theirs once they finish up their farm and diagnostics rotations soon.

I realize there aren't that many of us on here, but would anyone be interested in an "SDNers of Illinois" get together? It would be nice to meet you all before school starts!

I realize there aren't that many of us on here, but would anyone be interested in an "SDNers of Illinois" get together? It would be nice to meet you all before school starts!

I would be interested!! Sounds like fun! I will be moving up to school August 1st.

My husband and I are planning on taking a trip from August 1 to 15, so do you think Friday August 17th would work?

My husband and I are planning on taking a trip from August 1 to 15, so do you think Friday August 17th would work?

Defiantly, I should be well established and moved in by then!! So excited!!

Awesome! Do you have any preferences for what we do? I was thinking mini-golf or bowling and then we could get dinner and/or drinks? And upperclassmen, you are more than welcome to come too!

Awesome! Do you have any preferences for what we do? I was thinking mini-golf or bowling and then we could get dinner and/or drinks? And upperclassmen, you are more than welcome to come too!

Either sounds good to me. I would probably be better at bowling (never been golfing before).

I'll be moving in the 10th or 11th so I'll be around too. :)
Do you have a preference for bowling or mini-golf? Also, if you guys want we can skip straight to eating/drinking. I'm super flexible and will be happy either way :)

Are there really only 3 of us? :eek:

I went through a couple pages from when people were getting acceptances and there were 5 other people who should be going to UIUC this fall. I think I'm going to PM them this week and invite them if no one else responds (I forget, do you get an e-mail telling you when you receive PM or do you still have to log into SDN?)

I went through a couple pages from when people were getting acceptances and there were 5 other people who should be going to UIUC this fall. I think I'm going to PM them this week and invite them if no one else responds (I forget, do you get an e-mail telling you when you receive PM or do you still have to log into SDN?)

I know I get an email every time I get a PM.

Do you have a preference for bowling or mini-golf? Also, if you guys want we can skip straight to eating/drinking. I'm super flexible and will be happy either way :)

Not really. I'm equally bad at both. :) I look forward to meeting you guys!

Hello all,
One person has responded to my PM and will most likely be able to come out Friday night, so there will be a whole 4 of us! I was thinking we could do mini-golf since no one seems to have strong feelings one way or the other and I think it would be easier to talk as a group and get to know each other playing mini-golf. Do you guys want to get dinner/drinks after and do you have any dietary restrictions? My husband offered to pick up and drop off people if needed.

I'm really excited to meet you guys!

Hello all,
One person has responded to my PM and will most likely be able to come out Friday night, so there will be a whole 4 of us! I was thinking we could do mini-golf since no one seems to have strong feelings one way or the other and I think it would be easier to talk as a group and get to know each other playing mini-golf. Do you guys want to get dinner/drinks after and do you have any dietary restrictions? My husband offered to pick up and drop off people if needed.

I'm not a picky eater, I think dinner and drinks would be fun too.

Dinner and drinks sound perfect. I'm a vegetarian, but I can find something to eat anywhere. I'll put it in my calendar! My two roommates are also part of our class, should I invite them? (I know at least one of them creeps on here.) :)

Originally I was thinking it would just be SDN people, but since there's only 3-4 of us, I don't have a problem with you inviting your roommates.

I'm also vegetarian! For dinner/drinks I was thinking we could go to Seven Saints (they're on the pricey side with food but they're good), Jupiter's (they have amazing pizza), or Esquire Lounge (Their food isn't as good Seven Saints or Jupiter's but they're still good, for some reason their link isn't working....)

Another thought, Jupiter's has billiards if you guys wanted to skip mini-golf and just do that but I should warn you I am TERRIBLE at billiards. It can be painful to watch.

Both sound good to me! Yeah I'm pretty terrible at pool too. I'll PM you my info.

Hello all,

That would have been me....I think! Can't wait to meet everyone! Sounds like it will be a great time!

That would have been me....I think! Can't wait to meet everyone! Sounds like it will be a great time!

That would be you :) So you don't have any restrictions on what you can eat? No gluten intolerance or anything?

Do any upperclassman have comments on which books where helpful to own versus not? They posted our required book list and I need three of the books and I haven't decided whether or not I should get them....

Sorry, my internet was down, then I moved. Yea! In new apartment!! Can't wait to meet everyone too. Is anyone going to the get together this Sunday? :confused: I don't think I can make it anyways.

I have been looking through the book list as well trying to decide what I need/should get. I don't have any of the books.

Sorry, my internet was down, then I moved. Yea! In new apartment!! Can't wait to meet everyone too. Is anyone going to the get together this Sunday? :confused: I don't think I can make it anyways.

I have been looking through the book list as well trying to decide what I need/should get. I don't have any of the books.

I won't be in town until the 15th so I probably won't make it this Sunday. I don't have any of the books either so you aren't alone!

Yay new apartment! How did the move go?

I'm not going :(. That's only day off before my husband and I go on vacation so it's probably going to be spent packing, buying stuff, and otherwise getting ready.

On the bright side, I get to mix my big sib and his wife on Friday!

And if it's ok with everyone, I'm thinking we can do mini-golf and then pizza. Orchard Lanes is supposed to be nice for mini-golf, but it is outside. I don't know hot it's going to be. If you all prefer, we can do glow in the dark mini-golf elsewhere.

Yay new apartment! How did the move go?

I'm not going :(. That's only day off before my husband and I go on vacation so it's probably going to be spent packing, buying stuff, and otherwise getting ready.

On the bright side, I get to mix my big sib and his wife on Friday!

And if it's ok with everyone, I'm thinking we can do mini-golf and then pizza. Orchard Lanes is supposed to be nice for mini-golf, but it is outside. I don't know hot it's going to be. If you all prefer, we can do glow in the dark mini-golf elsewhere.

Okay, well I am glad I am not the only one who won't be going this Sunday. I was afraid I would show up at orientation and everyone would be like "who is that person" :laugh:

The move went really good, really hot, but good. The head index today was 110! But now I am getting everything situated and it is quickly feeling like home again. Glow in the dark mini-golf sounds like a blast!!

Okay, well I am glad I am not the only one who won't be going this Sunday. I was afraid I would show up at orientation and everyone would be like "who is that person" :laugh:

The move went really good, really hot, but good. The head index today was 110! But now I am getting everything situated and it is quickly feeling like home again. Glow in the dark mini-golf sounds like a blast!!

Eh, I'm sure a lot of people couldn't make it. I doubt that many out of staters have moved here and a lot of people who went to UIUC for undergrad still go home during the summer. Don't worry!

What? I've never even heard of glow in the dark mini golfing. That sounds like fun! Yeah I'm not going on Sunday either. I live about 2.5 hours away and don't really feel like making the drive down again before I move.

What? I've never even heard of glow in the dark mini golfing. That sounds like fun! Yeah I'm not going on Sunday either. I live about 2.5 hours away and don't really feel like making the drive down again before I move.

It's at Arrowhead Lanes. It's more "everything's fluorescently colored and the rooms are lit with UV lights" than true glow in the dark but I think it'll still be fun!