Illinois resident 27 (9/9/9) 3.55 cgpa 3.5 sgpa. any chances for MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesfeeltired

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a Illinois resident NON URM. I finished applying DO, now researching what MD schools to apply to. Id appreciate any recommendations and your honesty and input! Thank you in advance.

Here are my stats: bio major cGPA 3.55 sGPA~3.5 MCAT 27 (9/9/9) 1.5 years of research in Biochemistry lab 200 hours in free health clinic Community enrichment 180 in underserved neighborhood in chicago Events co-cordinator for humanitarian organization Half way house volunteer 50 hours Currently volunteering in the ER Currently shadowing an MD ophthalmologist (done 60 hours so far) Currently shadowing a DO ER physician (done 50 hours so far)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
27 MCAT, below average GPA with a very limited number of schools you prefer. Seriously consider skipping this cycle and do a re-prep and retake of MCAT for next cycle if you have that strong a desire to be in a few specific schools
do i have any chance at md schools at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get that MCAT up start typing with proper grammar and syntax. Seriously, I'm sure it will help.

do i have any chance at md schools at all?
Is your parental residence south of I-80? Then you might have a chance at SIU. UIC has been known to take some with MCATs like yours, but those I know of all had much higher GPAs and sterling ECs.

I'd suggest some office-based primary care shadowing instead of more time with an ophthalmologist.

Your 27 is lethal for MD schools.
SIU's 10th percentile is at 25, is the 27 still considered lethal because non-URM? Non-URM need to be like within a point of median for a good chance?

SIU's 10th percentile is at 25, is the 27 still considered lethal because non-URM? Non-URM need to be like within a point of median for a good chance?

Yeah the 10th percentile at any school is likely composed of URM, people with incredible stories, etc

Reactions: 1 user
SIU has a huge preference for people from Southern IL. As such, it's not on my radar. OP didn't specify location. If s/he's from the southern part of the state, then yes, it's a go.

There are very few schools where a 27 is at or above the 10th%ile. Most of these are in "lucky" states, like LA.

OP will much better chances with MUCOM, DMU, At Still and CCOM.

Reactions: 1 user