I'm a Junior in college, starting my 2nd semester, any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luelinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just some stats first:

-3.04 cGPA
-around a 2.92 science GPA.

Major: Science of Food, Nutrition, and Exercise @ Virginia Tech.

Pretty much, O-Chem (C+ 1st semester, C 2nd semester) and Concepts of Biochemistry (C-) destroyed by GPA my sophomore year of college, and I took Anatomy and Physiology on top of it.

I have no volunteer experience at a PT clinic, although I allocated my Fridays to volunteer this semester. What exactly does one do at a small PT clinic? There's a few in Blacksburg, but they don't look like they receive a lot of clients.

I turned my GPA around hardcore last semester, and expect to receive a 3.5 at least for this semester. I just feel like it's so late and my C- in biochem is not so great at all.

To top if off I would love to apply to D.O school, but I know I am not competitive at all - especially with my low O-chem grades. :(

Should I retake my Concepts of Biochemistry class? After taking 1st semester Metabolism class, I know I could easily do well in BCHEM. Sorry if I scatter my thoughts on here, I feel kind of lost. :confused: Would also taking a GRE prep-course be beneficial for this upcoming semester?

Also, this summer I really would like to get undergraduate research or an independent study with an exercise physiologist on campus. Would that be beneficial? My dream PT schools are University of Utah and Virginia Commonwealth Uni.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no volunteer experience at a PT clinic, although I allocated my Fridays to volunteer this semester. What exactly does one do at a small PT clinic? There's a few in Blacksburg, but they don't look like they receive a lot of clients.

It's a good idea to start now. Having those hours will help support your application. Well, you basically do what the PT asks you. You watch them, prepare equipment, clear equipment, assist patients in getting in or out of equipment, supervise the patients, etc. It's really all up to what the PT your shadowing says you can and can't do. Check your local hospitals for any PTs you can shadow. Make sure you at least shadow one PT in an acute care setting, very important.

Should I retake my Concepts of Biochemistry class? After taking 1st semester Metabolism class, I know I could easily do well in BCHEM. Sorry if I scatter my thoughts on here, I feel kind of lost. Would also taking a GRE prep-course be beneficial for this upcoming semester?

Retake it if you think it will help your GPA. Check with the schools to which your planning on applying to see if those classes are required as prerequisites, although they usually aren't. Again, if it'll help your GPA.

Also, this summer I really would like to get undergraduate research or an independent study with an exercise physiologist on campus. Would that be beneficial? My dream PT schools are University of Utah and Virginia Commonwealth Uni.

This is a great idea. I actually wanted to do some research with the exercise physiologists at my undergraduate school, but I didn't have the time. This'll show your interest in research, which PT needs a lot of right now to further the credibility of its practices. So, any type of research will help you tremendously and help you become competitive.

As for the GRE prep course... Take it only if you think you need it. Buy a practice book and go through it and take one or two of the practice exams and how you do. Of course, it doesn't hurt you to take a prep course. Well, except for your wallet. =]

-3.04 cGPA

Your stats are a little on the low side, but you can help boost the quality of your application by making sure you have really good LORs, volunteering in a variety of settings, showing an improvement in current and future grades, participating in research opportunities, writing an excellent interest letter, etc.

Well, good luck! Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

It's a good idea to start now. Having those hours will help support your application. Well, you basically do what the PT asks you. You watch them, prepare equipment, clear equipment, assist patients in getting in or out of equipment, supervise the patients, etc. It's really all up to what the PT your shadowing says you can and can't do. Check your local hospitals for any PTs you can shadow. Make sure you at least shadow one PT in an acute care setting, very important.

Should I retake my Concepts of Biochemistry class? After taking 1st semester Metabolism class, I know I could easily do well in BCHEM. Sorry if I scatter my thoughts on here, I feel kind of lost. Would also taking a GRE prep-course be beneficial for this upcoming semester?

Retake it if you think it will help your GPA. Check with the schools to which your planning on applying to see if those classes are required as prerequisites, although they usually aren't. Again, if it'll help your GPA.

This is a great idea. I actually wanted to do some research with the exercise physiologists at my undergraduate school, but I didn't have the time. This'll show your interest in research, which PT needs a lot of right now to further the credibility of its practices. So, any type of research will help you tremendously and help you become competitive.

As for the GRE prep course... Take it only if you think you need it. Buy a practice book and go through it and take one or two of the practice exams and how you do. Of course, it doesn't hurt you to take a prep course. Well, except for your wallet. =]

-3.04 cGPA

Your stats are a little on the low side, but you can help boost the quality of your application by making sure you have really good LORs, volunteering in a variety of settings, showing an improvement in current and future grades, participating in research opportunities, writing an excellent interest letter, etc.

Well, good luck! Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Thank you for your answers.

I have one more question however. On VCU's prerequisite list, it says " Abnormal and developmental courses are preferred."

Could that be interpreted as take both, or one of the two? Would taking both be preferred? I really would like to take both, but there's also classes in my major I would also like to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyo.

Well... from the site:

Psychology (six semester hours)

This requirement can be met by one introductory course and one upper level course or two upper level courses. Abnormal and developmental courses are preferred.

So, you need a total of six hours or a total of two psych classes, either one intro/one upper, or two upper. So, if you're going the intro/upper course, you'd have to take the intro to psych and then an upper level class such as child development, lifespan development, abnormal psychology, etc. However, if you do decide to go for the upper/upper track, bear in mind the prerequisites of those courses. Many of them require the intro to psych class. I think they're just trying to say that your upper level class should be abnormal and developmental, as opposed to other types of psych classes.

However, I'm not entirely sure. You'd have to contact the PT admissions department about this to clarify.

Heyo.

Well... from the site:

Psychology (six semester hours)

This requirement can be met by one introductory course and one upper level course or two upper level courses. Abnormal and developmental courses are preferred.

So, you need a total of six hours or a total of two psych classes, either one intro/one upper, or two upper. So, if you're going the intro/upper course, you'd have to take the intro to psych and then an upper level class such as child development, lifespan development, abnormal psychology, etc. However, if you do decide to go for the upper/upper track, bear in mind the prerequisites of those courses. Many of them require the intro to psych class. I think they're just trying to say that your upper level class should be abnormal and developmental, as opposed to other types of psych classes.

However, I'm not entirely sure. You'd have to contact the PT admissions department about this to clarify.

That's what I thought as well. I took Into to Psych, and would probably take Abnormal of Dev., but Development sounds more applicable to PT.

So, if you're going the intro/upper course, you'd have to take the intro to psych and then an upper level class such as child development, lifespan development, abnormal psychology, etc.

Just to throw in what happened to me-- I had taken Gen Psych and then also Child Development and Educational Psych-- the schools I applied to did not accept my Educational Psychology or Child Development as a 2nd course. I had to take Developmental Psychology (which covers the entire lifespan) as my 2nd course.

Last edited:
Just to throw in what happened to me-- I had taking Gen Psych and then also Child Development and Educational Psych-- the schools I applied to did not accept my Educational Psychology or Child Development as a 2nd course. I had to take Developmental Psychology (which covers the entire lifespan) as my 2nd course.

Oh, yeah. This is why you should definitely check with the school. Some schools will be okay with child development, other's won't. However, Lifespan Developmental Psychology should be an okay class. If you plan on taking Child development (I did), check with the school!

Good luck