I'm a male and I must say...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncology2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ob/gyn is one of the most under-rated fields

yeah the malpractice sucks..yes the hours during residency can be brutal but the unique combination of medicine and surgery being done is amazing

plus gyn onc has some of the coolest surgeries ive seen

unfortunately i wouldnt be able to do 7-8 years of training to get to gyn onc..i definitely considered it but im too old but what an amazing field

Members don't see this ad.

ob/gyn is one of the most under-rated fields

yeah the malpractice sucks..yes the hours during residency can be brutal but the unique combination of medicine and surgery being done is amazing

plus gyn onc has some of the coolest surgeries ive seen

unfortunately i wouldnt be able to do 7-8 years of training to get to gyn onc..i definitely considered it but im too old but what an amazing field

is this a joke? The lifestyle and business once out in practice is HORRIFIC and is driving most obgyns from business owners to subservient lackies of big hospitals.

This is the field most in crisis in all of medicine.
You have:
1.) extender creep from midwives
2.) near total female domination of the field now and the accompanying lifestyle decisions from their own desire to have kids
3.) absurd around the clock demands that no one could possibly meet
4.) Crazy John Edwards-type attorneys suing you for everything from "My Kid will never play in the NBA" to "My kid is of below average IQ and its YOUR fault!!"
5.) Crazy colleagues due to #1-4
6.) Even more crazy colleagues who's sole mission in life is to perform more abortions than Kermit Gosnell

Its beyond crazy. I can only imagine you are posting this to taunt them Oncology dude, oh master of the 9-5 Bankers' Hours.

is this a joke? The lifestyle and business once out in practice is HORRIFIC and is driving most obgyns from business owners to subservient lackies of big hospitals.

You have:
2.) near total female domination of the field now and the accompanying lifestyle decisions from their own desire to have kids
4.) Crazy John Edwards-type attorneys suing you for everything from "My Kid will never play in the NBA" to "My kid is of below average IQ and its YOUR fault!!"
6.) Even more crazy colleagues who's sole mission in life is to perform more abortions than Kermit Gosnell

Its beyond crazy. I can only imagine you are posting this to taunt them Oncology dude, oh master of the 9-5 Bankers' Hours.

Thanks for the insightful comments. Clearly my perception of the field after 9 years along with many of my colleagues is wrong compared with your assessment.

With respect to your points:
1. Mid-level providers have a growing presence in every specialty with the direction medicine is moving in, not just this specialty. However, keep in mind that there is a lot more to OB/GYN than just deliveries and well-woman exams.

2. This is yet again an example of the sexist attitude faced in our culture toward women. I am a male in this field, have female partners who "shockingly have decided to have a family," and can wholeheartedly tell you that it didn't make the decision to pursue this field "horrific" as you claim.

3. I'm sure you've heard of group practices and call-schedules.

4. Litigation is always a possibility. If you practice good medicine, it'll work itself out. At the end of the day, if you're choosing this field or declining it based on litigation alone, then you should seriously re-evaluate your interest in the field in the first place.

5. Profound assessment!

6. This one is just simply too shallow to even address.

Nevertheless, I thank you for venturing away from your solid presence on the Pathology forum to the lowly OB/GYN one to share your wonderful views on our specialty.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Army Ob dude,

That's cool. I can only comment on my experience with the local Ob community in my community which is a mess for the outlined reasons. Its a constant revolving door of new people who dont make it long and end up in the bosom of Kaiser Perm.org...

But you are very wrong about mid-level presence in every speciality...very wrong. You couldnt actually be more wrong.

Good luck with OBGyn, as Ive always said someone has to do it in society...not it!

Semper Fi,
USMC Path Dude (always at the tip of the spear)

Army Ob dude,

That's cool. I can only comment on my experience with the local Ob community in my community which is a mess for the outlined reasons. Its a constant revolving door of new people who dont make it long and end up in the bosom of Kaiser Perm.org...

But you are very wrong about mid-level presence in every speciality...very wrong. You couldnt actually be more wrong.

Good luck with OBGyn, as Ive always said someone has to do it in society...not it!

Semper Fi,
USMC Path Dude (always at the tip of the spear)

Hah. So what is he wrong about concerning mid level encroachment. Sure some fields are more immune to midlevel involvement but in general it is becoming more and more the norm.

Besides, you're delusional if you think midwives are actually a reason to be down on OB GYN as a field. As a rule, patient's are older/sicker/have more comorbidities that midwives, even the better ones just aren't as equipped to handle.

I think most people WELCOME midwives in labor & delivery. This is definitely the case in the multiple institutions I have trained. Also.....pathology? I think you have enough to worry about.

Uh... I don't understand why people are coming into the Ob/Gyn Physician/Resident Forum to hate on Ob/Gyn as a specialty. I'm just not entirely sure what they're hoping to accomplish here. :confused:

You have:

Hard to argue any of these points.

I agree with the OP that some of the medicine is interesting, but that's besides all of these criticisms.

Hard to argue any of these points.

I agree with the OP that some of the medicine is interesting, but that's besides all of these criticisms.

I can think of an equal amount of points for any other specialty. Nobody is bending your arm to become an OBGYN. Nobody said it was an easy road. Personal outlook / perception is everything.

Is anybody else tired of these useless comments / threads? Can we make an area for constant complainers?