I'm a transfer who's Florida bound! Could someone help me pick UGs?

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people!

I couldn't find a better place to put this, but figured hSDN was best since I am curious about undergraduate colleges here.

I'm from a state that's about 8 hours away from Florida, so I don't know anything about which one's better for research opportunities, and what-have-you.

The last thread I could find on the subject was like 5 years old, and it was fleeting comments at best.

So, SDNers, tell me what you know! What UG do you like best, and why?

My family's currently looking in the Tampa or Orlando areas, so it would obviously be preferable if they were close to those nodes. But I'm sure that I could do some convincing once I got Florida residency for tuition purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you looking for in a school? Large or small campus/classes? Honors programs? What are you majoring in? What did you like/dislike about your last university? There are a lot of universities in Florida with different things to offer.

There's Florida State and FAMU in Tallahassee. University of North Florida is in Jacksonville. University of Florida is located in Gainesville and it is one of the hardest to get into. More to the south, you have Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. There is also Palm Beach Atlantic U in West Palm Beach (private). University of Miami (private) and Florida International University are in Miami. Florida Gulf Coat University is in Ft. Myers. Since you said you want to be in Tampa and Orlando, you should look into University of South Florida and University of Central Florida, respectively. There's also Stetson and university of West Florida but I'm not exactly sure where those are located. I suggest to research all of them. Elaborate more on what you want out of a school and I (and other SDNers) can help. I'm a Florida girl and can answer any questions you have.

Last edited:
It sounds like you plan on living w/ your family or in proximity to them, so: Tampa = USF; Orlando = UCF. These 2 are the largest schools in their respective areas, & as a corollary you'll have the largest number of research opportunities through them. Another option is completing an Associate's Degree through a CC (Tampa = HCC or SPC; Orlando = Valencia); Florida has an allowance that for graduates of CC's, their degrees are accepted by any public university in the state. Plus, the cost of classes at a CC are significantly lower than those at a university, so you could knock out some prereq courses & apply the savings to something else.

This is going to sounds crazy.

But go to the easiest undergrad you can that isn't known for being for only teachers.

It may limit your chances of getting into Yale Medical School but for lower tier schools, you'll do great and get in.
You'll have an easier undergrad, probably get scholarship money, and be able to excel.