I'm afraid they are going to rescind the offer! Thoughts?! Help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I got off a wl. I was just going through all the paperwork yesterday and noticed something alarming. One of the terms for enrolment at this school is something like successful completion of your degree and all courses noted on your Amcas application. This is where the problem starts.

This past year I was working. I thought I might take some classes after christmas so I put them on my amcas when I filled it out last summer. Then I got busy at work and didn't take those classes but thought I might take some this summer ( I'm taking one now). I didn't update the school about not taking those amcas courses because I remembered that amcas says they are non- binding and the secondary app/website didn't say to (like it does at some other schools). I really wasn't trying to be sneaky! I did update a different school that had specified we should! I just didn't think that my non binding future amcas coursework meant much to the adcom here since nothing about updating changes was noted. Also, None of it was for pre-reqs or for my degree so I didn't think it mattered.

Now I'm terrified that they are going to take back the acceptance and I'm depressed because it's the only one I have. I know that I obviously have to call them first thing on Monday and try to sort it all out, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with anything like this before? I'm also afraid that when I explain it to them they won't see it as an honest mistake that I'm trying to deal with- they'll assume that I'm horrible and that I was trying to be sneaky. Any thoughts? Do you think it will be ok? Does anyone know how much they actually care about non degree, non pre req courses? Thanks for your advice/thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you can work this out. If not, online classes are your friend. You just have to pass them.

You completed your degree, but didn't take all the classes that you listed on AMCAS?

I would say you are probably fine, but these decisions are school specific and with that, different schools may have different policies. I think you will likely be ok, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it leaves you missing a pre-req, they might care.
If it means you don't get your degree, they might care.

But non-degree, non-pre-req? And you'll still graduate without them? I don't see why they'd care --

Do call the school, but do it calmly, with a <20-word explanation of what you did instead, and a statement that you can take equivalent classes online if it's important to them. Then listen. I'm betting you'll be fine --

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the thoughts and reassurance everyone. I appreciate it and it is going to help get me through the weekend, at least. To clear up the confusion, I got my bachelor's in 2006 and a master's in 2008 so finishing a degree is not an issue, and I finished all of the pre-reqs before I applied. I had just thought that I might take some courses that would be nice to have/I'm interested in. I found some equivalent online courses like you said, so thanks for that suggestion. I'll offer that in the conversation. And I'll calm down before I talk to them....deep breaths...I appreciate the cautious optimism, though. THanx. I hope it works out.....

If it leaves you missing a pre-req, they might care.
If it means you don't get your degree, they might care.

But non-degree, non-pre-req? And you'll still graduate without them? I don't see why they'd care --

Do call the school, but do it calmly, with a <20-word explanation of what you did instead, and a statement that you can take equivalent classes online if it's important to them. Then listen. I'm betting you'll be fine --

Exactly what this guy said.

This happened to me - they ran it through the admissions committee but since it didn't involve any pre-reqs it was a non-issue. I know how much it makes you panic though! Good luck and don't worry too much. Run it by them now so it doesn't look like you were being deceptive.

ETA: Mine involved both non-degree UG coursework and my MS so it was possibly even bigger of a deal. But it was fine and I finished my MS this year although my admission didn't seem to be contingent on finishing it (although they asked for my plan to do so).