I'm at the cross roads and I have a lot to lose.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCMeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to burden you with a long story.

Basically I always had a love for medicine but haven't had much opportunity to go into such a requiring and tedious field.
My family/economical Life wasn't quite optimal for medical school.

To please my mother I went to college and have gotten my associates and bachelors in business since they weren't as long, expensive or difficult and allowed me to part time.

Now at 24 I'm working in entry level business without much satisfaction at all. Still I have a greater yearning for medicine.

At my mid 20's I'm so stuck, it's so hard now to go into medicine for obvious reasons mainly economical.
Is it as rewarding as I hope it is once a doctor?
I have to soon theoretically get married, sustain a family and have good income help my folks and younger siblings.
I truly have no real guidance or advice on medical school or process.
I have in mind either doing opthomology (OD or DO) or with even greater passion Oncology (which is harder and longer and more $ which I don't even know where to get scholarships for or borrow) or possibly pediatrics.
I'm ripping my hair out thinking of this.
People have often told me to Persue and I have been oddly told numerous times by doctors even just in public like an MTA train that I look like a MD.

What do you recommend or suggest?
What's the steps?
Where do I seek help for guidance on path and also for $ and scholarships?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I always had a love for medicine but haven't had much opportunity to go into such a requiring and tedious field.

To please my mother I went to college and have gotten my associates and bachelors in business since they weren't as long, expensive or difficult and allowed me to part time.

Now at 24 I'm working in entry level business without much satisfaction at all. Still I have a greater yearning for medicine.

At my mid 20's I'm so stuck, it's so hard now to go into medicine for obvious reasons mainly economical.
I have to soon theoretically get married, sustain a family and have good income help my folks and younger siblings.
I have in mind either doing opthomology (OD or DO) or with even greater passion Oncology (which is harder and longer and more $ which I don't even know where to get scholarships for or borrow) or possibly pediatrics.
People have often told me to Persue and I have been oddly told numerous times by doctors even just in public like an MTA train that I look like a MD.

What's the steps?

Thanks
1. You used the word "tedious". Unconscious choice? Seems like you already feel negatively.
2. You don't have to get married, theoretically. Also, I'm married and we make it work.
3. You know that DO and OD are very different paths? That ophthalmology and optometry are very different? You seem a bit uneducated, perhaps just how your post came off. I would just recommend some more research and give this decision the time it deserves.

Reactions: 3 users
1. You used the word "tedious". Unconscious choice? Seems like you already feel negatively.
2. You don't have to get married, theoretically. Also, I'm married and we make it work.
3. You know that DO and OD are very different paths? That ophthalmology and optometry are very different? You seem a bit uneducated, perhaps just how your post came off. I would just recommend some more research and give this decision the time it deserves.

I do know the differences and have weighed the options on both but I have for some odd reason been curious about eye treatment and eyes in general for a long time.
Also I know OD won't be as rewarding but I know it won't take me as long to accomplish.
And regarding being educated on the matter I wouldnt mind suggestions, materials or experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're serious about this I would just do a rough draft of pre-req semesters, planning out how long it would take you before you could apply. Take into consideration the amount of hours you would be able to attend class along with working full time if you must. Lots of CC have night classes you could make it work. What does your GPA look like ? Did you have any science based courses at all in your first year ? or did you go straight through to business?
Do some shadowing and volunteering in the Medical/ Clinical setting, this will provide you with a greater understanding and appreciation for medicine and physicians. Which in turn may help in your decision making process, and it won't cost you anything.

As far as getting married and a family, that all comes along when the time is right for it.

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it"- David Henry

Reactions: 1 user
Spend some time shadowing both in an office and in-patient setting. See if this gets your juices flowing. This is an expensive and long process. You want to make sure that this is what you want before you start. As for getting married, last I checked there is no pre-requisite.

I would also recommend shadowing some doctors to get a sense of whether medicine is something you really want to do. You could start out as a volunteer in a clinic or hospital; that's a good way to meet doctors who you could potentially shadow and also just get a feel for the clinical setting.

Assuming that you haven't taken any medical school prereqs, it'll probably take you a couple of years of postbacc coursework before you'll be ready to apply. You could do this relatively cheaply at your local community college or at a 4-year university. As far as the cost of med school, pretty much everyone takes out some amount of loans. You may qualify for scholarships or financial aid, too, but debt is basically unavoidable. Given the high MD salary, your prospects for paying off this debt are good but it certainly takes time and budgeting.

Keep in mind that there are many healthcare fields! I would strongly recommend doing some research on NP, PA, and even RN programs, too. And it wouldn't hurt to shadow in these fields either. Not trying to discourage you from medical school but it is a long and expensive path that just isn't for everyone. It's always a good idea to explore other options even if it only reinforces your desire to become a doc.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest getting clinical experience before investing a large amount of time/energy into a postbac.

On the low end, a postbac is about 2500 hours of study time and 15k. On the high end, its about 6k hours and about 115k.

Also you're a good 2.5 years away from applying, and then 4 from being in medicine, and then another 2-4 from practicing. Its around a 15k hour time investment.

You'll have to do the clinical experience at some point to have any shot at admissions, so maybe start here to find out if its worth the investment? Volunteer at an ER and see if you like it...

On the low end, a postbac is about 2500 hours of study time and 15k. On the high end, its about 6k hours and about 115k.
A postbacc can certainly be expensive. But it may be possible to do it under 15K depending on what in-state tuition is like, especially if OP does a DIY postbacc at a community college.

But I absolutely agree that it's a huge time commitment and it makes sense to be sure that medicine is for you before you start.

A postbacc can certainly be expensive. But it may be possible to do it under 15K depending on what in-state tuition is like, especially if OP does a DIY postbacc at a community college.

But I absolutely agree that it's a huge time commitment and it makes sense to be sure that medicine is for you before you start.

I was under the impression CC postbacs were OK but a a wee bit nish-nish? As in its not fatal but people would prefer classes taken at a 4 year?

I don't think there are too many places left where in-state is less than 1500 per course.

I was under the impression CC postbacs were OK but a a wee bit nish-nish? As in its not fatal but people would prefer classes taken at a 4 year?

I don't think there are too many places left where in-state is less than 1500 per course.
Yeah, I agree. I don't have a strong sense about how CC is actually received but my assumption was the same--probably not fatal but not necessarily ideal either. But for someone who's really in a pinch in terms of finances, maybe it's not a bad option? And I wonder if it'd be considered more acceptable for a nontrad like OP?

I agree that even in-state tuition can be high. I happened to have relatively good luck in that there's a good 4-year in my city that has a school of continuing ed that offers classes for about $1200. But yes, still expensive - particularly if you have 8-10+ courses to take.

I think how CC is received is contingent on other parts of the app. If the OP has a history of strong academic achievement, CC classes may not be viewed as critically. A decent hedge would be to start at a CC for lower division classes (bio/gen chem) and then switch to a four year university for upper division bio/o-chem.

Yeah, I agree. I don't have a strong sense about how CC is actually received but my assumption was the same--probably not fatal but not necessarily ideal either. But for someone who's really in a pinch in terms of finances, maybe it's not a bad option? And I wonder if it'd be considered more acceptable for a nontrad like OP?

I agree that even in-state tuition can be high. I happened to have relatively good luck in that there's a good 4-year in my city that has a school of continuing ed that offers classes for about $1200. But yes, still expensive - particularly if you have 8-10+ courses to take.

Hey thanks for replying and offering your suggestions.
I actually looked into NP as well as Speech pathology which was my first major in college (I was dissuaded since my university only offered one course a semester and it would take too long).
I was under the impression that NP takes nearly as long as most MD or at least an OD.

I have Bio 1 with Labs I have Chem 1 and I have Psychology 1 statistics 1 and any other pre req basic courses that may be required. Assuming ill need about 5-8 courses in probably physics Bio's and Chem's mainly left before i can apply to med school would that be a correct assumption?

What suggestions on rewarding jobs might you have? Also would it be possible to keep a full or part time job while doing this?
especially if i enroll in night classes?

Hey thanks for replying and offering your suggestions.
I actually looked into NP as well as Speech pathology which was my first major in college (I was dissuaded since my university only offered one course a semester and it would take too long).
I was under the impression that NP takes nearly as long as most MD or at least an OD.

I have Bio 1 with Labs I have Chem 1 and I have Psychology 1 statistics 1 and any other pre req basic courses that may be required. Assuming ill need about 5-8 courses in probably physics Bio's and Chem's mainly left before i can apply to med school would that be a correct assumption?

What suggestions on rewarding jobs might you have? Also would it be possible to keep a full or part time job while doing this?
especially if i enroll in night classes?
NP school is somewhat shorter than MD. You would need to get a Bachelor's in nursing first but there are many direct entry combined BSN/MSN programs. These are designed for people who already have a Bachelor's but not in nursing. You apply and get accepted to both the BSN and MSN programs. An accelerated BSN usually takes about a year and a half. The Master's part (to become a NP) varies in length since some people choose to work part-time as a nurse while completing it. But I believe it can be done in 2-3 years. The advantage is that you can be working and earning decent money in less than 2 years once you've completed the BSN. Compared to 4 years of med school with no income and then 3-4 years of residency where you work crazy hours and get paid very little, it's actually a pretty good deal. (IF you want to be a nurse, that is.) Obviously, doctors get paid more in the end but they have a longer period of years making nothing or very little.

The typical med school prereqs are: Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, Organic Chem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2 (all of these with labs). Many schools are adding Biochemistry since it's now tested on the MCAT. Some schools add in random other things like Stats, English, etc.

Only you know what's rewarding for you! But yes, it is possible to work while completing the prereqs. I worked full-time and took 1-2 classes per semester at night. It definitely wasn't easy, though. Of course you need to make money to survive but given how competitive med school is, you also have to prioritize getting the best grades possible. Can be hard to balance at times but it's possible.

NP school is somewhat shorter than MD. You would need to get a Bachelor's in nursing first but there are many direct entry combined BSN/MSN programs. These are designed for people who already have a Bachelor's but not in nursing. You apply and get accepted to both the BSN and MSN programs. An accelerated BSN usually takes about a year and a half. The Master's part (to become a NP) varies in length since some people choose to work part-time as a nurse while completing it. But I believe it can be done in 2-3 years. The advantage is that you can be working and earning decent money in less than 2 years once you've completed the BSN. Compared to 4 years of med school with no income and then 3-4 years of residency where you work crazy hours and get paid very little, it's actually a pretty good deal. (IF you want to be a nurse, that is.) Obviously, doctors get paid more in the end but they have a longer period of years making nothing or very little.

The typical med school prereqs are: Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, Organic Chem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2 (all of these with labs). Many schools are adding Biochemistry since it's now tested on the MCAT. Some schools add in random other things like Stats, English, etc.

Only you know what's rewarding for you! But yes, it is possible to work while completing the prereqs. I worked full-time and took 1-2 classes per semester at night. It definitely wasn't easy, though. Of course you need to make money to survive but given how competitive med school is, you also have to prioritize getting the best grades possible. Can be hard to balance at times but it's possible.

Thanks a lot for your very detailed input.

As much as I would love to peruse a medical related career I probably won't have the opportunity to do so as I've weighed me possible options.
One of the main reasons that held me back from it in the beginning of my college journey to persue medicine was finances and family issues, they haven't gotten much better actually they've gotten rather worse.
My only option would be to wait till I'm truly independent and capable to support my mother and siblings and myself while I go off to schools and thats a really really long stretch.

So once again thanks for taking the time to give your two cents and valuable info.
But as I stand it just doesn't seem plausible to persue this.

:/

Thanks a lot for your very detailed input.

As much as I would love to peruse a medical related career I probably won't have the opportunity to do so as I've weighed me possible options.
One of the main reasons that held me back from it in the beginning of my college journey to persue medicine was finances and family issues, they haven't gotten much better actually they've gotten rather worse.
My only option would be to wait till I'm truly independent and capable to support my mother and siblings and myself while I go off to schools and thats a really really long stretch.

So once again thanks for taking the time to give your two cents and valuable info.
But as I stand it just doesn't seem plausible to persue this.

:/
Sorry to hear that but I definitely understand. Just know that medical schools will always be there! You're only 24; you still have plenty of time to work toward this or any other career goal. Good luck!

What's the steps?

Thanks

I'm not sure where to begin.

You went to college to please your mother? What would you have preferred to do instead after you finished high school?

Are you simply dissatisfied in your job because you aren't making enough money? It is unrealistic to expect to make $200k/year in the corporate world at age 24. This is a realistic expectation by your mid-to-late 30s if you are proactive about your career.

Your medical specialty interests are misinformed and widely variable suggesting you have just thought about them in your head and not actively researched what these careers entail or sought out shadowing opportunities. Start by doing this.

If you're ripping your hair out thinking about medical school, I would suggest continuing on your former career path where your hair remained intact.

Do not get married or have a family unless you want to. You do not have a responsibility to provide income for anyone other than yourself or your children. Anybody who tells you otherwise is using you.

You are in control of your own destiny. Your post suggests that you are currently totally out of control. My suggestion is to regain control. Do not go to med school because your parents want you to make more money for their theoretical grandchildren or because the ticket girl on the subway asks what kind of doctor you are.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't hear the this is my passion in your voice. Find a career counselor, academic coach/consultant, psychologist, or which ever to discuss things with. You don't really seem like you have figured out what you want to do. Becoming a physician is a long marathon so you need to make sure that is what you want before you start it. You can always change your mind later, but it's hard to voluntarily change paths once you start and sucks badly when life changes it for you.

What's the steps?

Thanks

If you're all about eliminating tedium and you're realizing that you have a need for some instant gratification, this is not what you're looking for. This world is all about long hours in the classroom and the lab, and double that time reading usually very dry material and studying, lots of studying. Chemistry, physics, calculus, biology... there is no instant gratification. On the contrary, there is sacrifice. Time with your theoretical future family is slim to nil while you're in training. You have to be in it for the love of the game because it's going to be many years before you feel some sort of payoff. Have you spent any time in a hospital? I don't mean for just a few minutes to visit a relative or a friend, but hours and days. See the sights and smell the smells. You need to find out if this is what you really want, not what you think you want because it's a long expensive road only to find out you made a terrible mistake. There will be patients in front of you that needs 100% of your attention while you are dealing with them and if you realize that you want to be somewhere else you've done yourself and those people a huge disservice.

There is boredom, tedious tasks and stupid meetings and things you will think are beneath you in every field of endeavor. In medicine that experience is amplified 1000%. IF you think you hate life now, you're going to be miserable as an intern. More so than the other interns who took the time to learn everything they could about what they were in for long before they ever set foot in a medical school classroom. There are many books on the subject, you can squeeze literally thousands of hours out of YouTube, and the Discovery Life channel is rife with TV shows about the field.

Go volunteer in a hospital and get a feel for the day to day. Find a physician to shadow.

I'm not saying this is not for you. I'm saying you better do as much research as possible about the life of a science undergrad (insomuch as you will need to go back and take all the chemistry biology, physics and other prerequisite classes), a medical student, a resident as you can before you commit to what is a massive undertaking. You have to be more than just OK with this consuming your entire life. You have to be all in.

Reactions: 1 users
If you do it for this reason, and you don't love Medicine, then you will be miserable.

Volunteer with patients, because only you can answer this for yourself. My clinical colleagues love their jobs, though.

What??!? You're an adult now. You're old enough to drive, vote, work, pay taxes, drink, smoke, and fight and die for your country. This isn't Central Asia with the arranged marriages. You're old enough to grow a spine and stand up to familial/culture pressures now.

Reactions: 2 users