I'M IN! I'M IN!! I'M IN!!! I'M IN!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The postman just delivered that majical piece registered mail....KCOM has accepted me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Repeating, just in case you are deaf.....KCOM HAS ACCEPTED ME!!!!!!!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Members don't see this ad.

Dave,

I am SO happy for you!
smile.gif
smile.gif
Enjoy the feeling! Isn't it great?!! I follow your postings both here and at TPR. Congratulations and best of luck to you.

Renee

Oh no, does that mean we're going to be classmates? AAUGH! Just kidding. Congragulations Dave. Though you should know that I'm hurt that you didn't e-mail me personally about your good news. See you in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS Old man - you deserve it. KCOM is lucky to have you.
--DO rules--
later
Nicolas
WesternU'03

Well congratulations!!
I am glad that you have got in. I hope you intend on going this year. I'll be joining you this Aug..
Best wishes,
Duke

Congratulations. KCOM acceptance is an impressive achievement.

Congratulations OldManDave! I know how you feel. I was ecstatic when I was accepted to UOMHS back in March (by the way, no one congratulated ME, but I'll still take them
smile.gif
). It's great news, and I believe you'll be an asset to the medical profession.

Wonderful news for you Dave. You'll be a great physician! Best of luck.

To both Dave and VM, congrats on your acceptance!! (I wish I knew how to make them little yellow happy faces).

Now, for a little friendly advice to all who have been accepted..osteopathic and allopathic medical school.

1) Study hard...not to get the grade (if you are going to a school that uses grades instead of pass/fail) but because you want to learn the material. Medical school doesn't teach you everything you need to know but lays a foundation to build upon. So learn as much as possible so that you have a bood foundation to build upon.

2) Take time for yourself!!!!! I got "C's" in big unit courses because I spent time with my family or was working to earn a little extra for my family. Did it matter when it came to residency, NO! In fact, I had a faculty attending at a UC Davis program tell me my grades were good (my GPA for the first two years was only 2.85)..I started laughing! I said my grades were like average. He said, "did you work?" I said yes. He said, "did you spend time with your wife and child?" I said yes. he said your grades are really good. Oh well. If that is what he wanted to think, who was I to argue. As it turns out, I got into a UCSF program and I am very happy with it.

3) Don't worry about grades and board scores too much. Unless, you are going into a VERY competitive or a very prestiges institution, it won't matter. My recommendation is try and do rotations where you might want to go and work your butt off. Basically, get there 15 mins early and be the last one to leave. When an intern or resident asks if you want to do an admission, say YES with enthusiasm!

4) Don't expect to KNOW everything or LEARN everything. If you hear something that you have forgotten or just can't remember, go look it up. Ever wonder why EVERY physician office has reference books like Harrison's laying around???

5) Try and enjoy yourself at all costs. You will get tired and stressed at times but remember why you are becoming a physician. Many physicians forget this. We all know HMO's suck but some sort or managed care will always be here. Just remember that you are here for the patient. As for the reimbursements, I am sure physicians will always make a decent living.

6) Last but not least. Don't worry about the "alphabet" at the end of your name. Just be a good physician and you will earn all the respect and cerdibility you'll need.

Just my opinion. Again, congrats to all the recently accepted students. It is a great honor and certainly a great feeling (I will always remember my reaction to my acceptance letter)

Brandon A, MS4
Western University/COMP

OsteoDOC, Thanks for the advice and for the congratulations. I will try to heed your advice. Oh, I almost forgot, to do the smily face just type a colon : and a right parenthesis. I think a left makes a frown. Heres a few different ones.
smile.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by VM (edited April 13, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by VM (edited April 13, 1999).]

I am going to cry! BOOH HOO, BOOH HOO. I am so happy. The love in this thread is what has drawnme towards osteopathic medicine. Would you ever expect this at TPR site? I THINK NOT!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Thank lords and ladies...and CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU TOO VM!!!! & to everyone else who has been accepted!! Getting into any med school is an honor and priveledge and culminates a very long road.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

A zillion congratulations. Good luck Dave.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited April 13, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, Dave.
smile.gif
It worked! (the smiley face, thing. I didn't know how before either. Thanks, VM). Glad to hear there's one less person who has to funnel money into the medical school application money laundering scheme! Good luck next year!

mark

Dave,

Enjoy your acceptance high. Last October I couldn't stop jumping up and down and rereading the letter to make sure I did not read it wrong. It is always nice to reach ones dreams, now we have to worry about surviving medical school. I agree with Mark's comment, I feel that schools like UMDNJ-SOM are laundering money for sure. I mean really, a $125 secondary and the only way an out-of-stater can get in is if they play golf regularly with the dean. And the terrible part is that out-of-staters make up about 80% of their applicant pool.

EDGAR

Dave,
Congradulations, I will look forward to joining you at KCOM in the fall.

Carrie

CONGRATULATIONS! I had my fingers crossed for you. You will be a great asset to the medical field. Now relax for a few months & work on scrounging up the funds for school.

By the way I do not think you are the "oldest" person on this forum. I am entering CCOM in the fall. I'm 34 (35 in July) and am looking forward to a challenging new career.

:)

[This message has been edited by almasque (edited April 13, 1999).]

Congrats old man and welcome to the osteopathic family!!! All your hard work and perserverance paid off so enjoy your acceptance. Oh what a feeling huh? When i got my acceptance, my hands were actually trembling. It's amazing the power the admission committees have on the emotions and psyche of a pre-med.

Congratulatins every acceptance of someone we have contact with, however small, keeps the rest of us going. Your passion and persistence will serve you well. Keep the seat warm. Sean.

Dave-

It is a pleasure to share this with you. Knowing that you got in is making me smile, even though I have never met you.

Congrats.

Isn't it an awesome unexplicable feeling knowing that you actually are going to become a physician.

------------------

Congrats! Hard work and perseverance pays off for us 'old people' too!

Congrats Dave! I'm from Plano (just a couple of miles from from UT Dallas in fact) and I'm headed for Kirksville (The Mother Ship)too. Give me a shout if you want to meet up and start talking about the big move. (972)618-1659

[This message has been edited by Matthews (edited April 14, 1999).]

Congrats, Dave, from another oldtimer (31)!
smile.gif

Stef
UOMHS '03

Dave,

Congrats, and best of luck to you! Your great attitude and enthusiasm will carry you a long way!

Scott
UOMHS '03

Dave,

Was I right or was I right! CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for the multiple congrats!!! Hell, everyone who got in needs to pat themselves on the back!! And, then each of us needs to remember that we should now help the others we have met to get in too!

What the matter
frown.gif
DOGBOY
frown.gif
? We're just have a little congratulation session...not a thing wrong with it!!!!!
wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Way to go dave! I've been impressed with the posts you've written on this site. I think that you're going to be very happy at KCOM, although I would have liked to have seen you at TCOM. Keep up the good work and remember to give back to the premed community from time to time. We all benefit from the advice and wisdom of those who have blazed trails before us.

You guys and gals on this site are so cordial it almost makes me want to cry.

Dave, I am very happy for you. Make the most of the opportunity you have been given!!! I think I have been reading your posts for almost 8 months now, it's wonderful to be able to see this whole process come full circle.

To the rest of you, please continue to be so positive. You never know who is reading your posts. Sometimes your positivity is what keeps others going.

Good luck to you all!!!

To "old man Dave", I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! and welcome to the world of Osteopathic Medicine. BD

Well it seems you're VERY popular Dave!
smile.gif

There are nearly as many people congradulating you as there are wrestling with grand moral issue of assisted suicide. I don't remember ever seeing such long live strings!

I am extremely flattered by all of the congratulations...I suppose most folks get excited when a senior citizen [j/k, I'm only 32] gets in!!

Goes to show it pays to voice your opinions!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited April 20, 1999).]