"I'm in the area" e-mails and follow-up phone calls? Cornell especially...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluesmurf314

Run for the Fun
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have luck with letting schools, specifically Cornell, know that you will be in the area? The Secondary Complete email said to let them know, and I emailed them last wednesday and have heard NOTHING, not even a lukewarm, yeah we don't do that, reply. Do you think my email got lost?

Should I call today and follow up? I'm trying to make travel arrangements to NYC and I need to know when to book the return flight!

Members don't see this ad.

If they didn't contact you, I would assume they aren't ready to offer you an interview right now. You can call if you want, but I highly doubt they "lost" your email and need reminding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, when I emailed them, they responded within about 30 minutes saying they weren't able to offer me an interview yet...:thumbdown:

I emailed Weill and got:

Greetings!

We understand that you will be coming to New York City in January and have requested that we look into the possibility of interviewing you then. As we indicated in an earlier message, the review process can take a long time. There is still no decision on your application at this point, and we cannot give you an estimate as to when a decision will be made. Our interview season extends to early March and we do not have rolling admissions. If selected for an interview before your trip, we will communicate with you via e-mail.

We thank you for your continued interest in our medical college.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
Weill Cornell Medical College

Yeah, I also emailed them- they didn't give me an interview but they responded very quickly. Perhaps they are actually looking at you application again. . . But yeah, I would call or email them again.

Yeah, I also emailed them- they didn't give me an interview but they responded very quickly. Perhaps they are actually looking at you application again. . . But yeah, I would call or email them again.

anyone contact NYU or Columbia in this way, as well? I have interviews at Cornell and MSSM within a week of each other...and basically have 3 available days in my trip.
Thanks.

contact AECOM too. their secondary email has a blurb about let us know if you're in town.

I was in the same boat. I sent an email last Monday to Cornell and hadn't heard anything from them. So, after reading this post I called. Turns out they wanted to offer me an interview but weren't exactly sure about the dates I gave them because of the proximity to Christmas break. So, definitely call.

I emailed them on a Friday and got a response first thing monday morning. It was the same friendly form letter that Tropicana posted earlier.

Yeah, I was trying to squeeze an interview out of Cornell too and got the same response as Tropicana with different dates. They won't give me any love even though I'm a Cornell undergrad (hey, it costs like $100 roundtrip to get to the city and back).

Got the same form letter from cornell within an hour of emailing them. I guess a lot of people are asking for an interview this way.

i sent cornell an e-mail on sunday (cause i was going to be in the area for mount sinai) and got a response today offering me an interview...so the e-mailing strategy does work sometimes, i wouldn't give up on it!....has anyone successfully done this with columbia?

i tried to do this with sinai and got nilch...basically they were like "nothing about scheduling can be done until the committee makes a decision" and i was like yeah the whole point of the email was to see if i could expedite the decision-making process....sigh...been complete for 2+ months now...

Cornell wants me to wait. I guess they can take their time since my interview isn't until January. I wonder why I got such a late date for Sinai. When are you guys going to Sinai?

What's the email address for Cornell?

if a school's website doesn't mention contacting them, would it be a bad idea to do so? I'm specifically wondering about Umich. Also, do i need to specify / explain my reason for being in the area? is it bad if my reason for being in the area is to visit people / catch a football game and not for an interview in the area?

i'm wondering if i should e-mail them, or call them, and also how much info i should disclose about why i'll be in the area.

Cornell wants me to wait. I guess they can take their time since my interview isn't until January. I wonder why I got such a late date for Sinai. When are you guys going to Sinai?

My interview at Mt. Sinai is December 19th and I was invited on the 12th of September! I think they are only doing a few per day or something (seems that way to me because I haven't found anyone else with my same interview date).

Also, when I called Cornell yesterday to see if they had received my email, I spoke to an admissions officer who was like "I keep meaning to email you!" and she told me that they are offering me an interview but weren't really scheduling any that far in advance yet. But she did book me for the 18th because I called. So I wouldn't worry about your date in January. When they make the decision to interview you, I'm sure they will gladly let you come then!

if a school's website doesn't mention contacting them, would it be a bad idea to do so? I'm specifically wondering about Umich. Also, do i need to specify / explain my reason for being in the area? is it bad if my reason for being in the area is to visit people / catch a football game and not for an interview in the area?

i'm wondering if i should e-mail them, or call them, and also how much info i should disclose about why i'll be in the area.

As long as your trip is far enough away, I say email and see what happens. But use wording like, I'll be in Southeast Michigan and I was interested to know if it might be possible to "expedite the review of my application" to not sound presumptuous. That's what I did.

Oh, and on the Cornell note, I did call, and they emailed me less than an hour later saying that if I'm available the day after the M/Tu I was planning on maybe being in NYC, that they might be able to take a look at my application to see if they want to offer me an interview. Unfortunately I can't make that particular day... so, bummer.