I'm moving to New York city

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Chicago where the job market for doctors is terrible (we have more family doctors per capita than any other city in the country). Now, I know that the job market for family doctors is not good in any major city. However, any city is better than Chicago.

That being said- for a variety of reasons (not just jobs), I'm moving to Manhattan next year. Any insight on the job market for outpatient family medicine and/or urgent care? I'd prefer to stay in Manhattan.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it really THAT bad in Chicago? I can't imagine Manhattan being much better. Probably better luck in the outer boroughs.

I live in Chicago where the job market for doctors is terrible (we have more family doctors per capita than any other city in the country). Now, I know that the job market for family doctors is not good in any major city. However, any city is better than Chicago.

Interesting, I had a few friends do the opposite - move from NY to chicago...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Family doctor. There are more Family doctors in Chicago than anywhere else in the USA. This is simply because Chicago has over 15 family medicine residencies and many medical schools. Also, Chicago has mostly US trained physicians. That's not the case in NYC.

Again, I'm not saying that Manhattan is much better but at least it's not worse.

There are a lot of family docs, but there are also lots of underserved areas. Maybe look into working in one of those underserved areas?

Reactions: 1 user