I'm nervous - any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExcitedButNervous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there-

I just got my MCAT scores back and I only got a 25 (VR-10, BS-9, PS-6). My undergraduate GPA was on the lower side (3.2). I feel like by the numbers I'm a very sub par applicant.

However, I have done so many other things relating to pursuing a MD degree, proving to myself and hopefully an admissions committee that I'm committed to this. Activities: volunteering at a hospital ER for 3 years, getting my first responder certification to respond to on campus medical emergencies, biology honor society president, and job shadows/informational interviews. I'm currently working in clinical research at an academic teaching hospital and taking a class to get my medical interpreter certification because I would love to practice in Spanish. I have also done too many things to count that aren't directly related to medicine but have shaped who I am as a person and how I interact with others - a few examples: studied abroad twice, organized the entire family weekend program for my university, joined a sorority and took on significant leadership roles, served as a Resident Assistant, undergraduate research with a Biology professor completing my a self designed project, among many other things.

I guess I'm feeling really anxious. I know many people tell you that it's not ALL about the numbers (MCAT and GPA) but are my numbers too low for an admissions committee to even take a look at the other components of my application or invited me for an interview? I'm not sure there is a solid answer to this, but if anyone has thoughts/advice/comments I'd love to hear it.

Thank you and best of luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply DO

Dont look back. Just giving it to you straight, you have no shot at a US allopathic school. Heck your numbers are even low for most DO schools to be honest...

send me a private message if you want more info, I would be happy to help you.

Reactions: 2 users
For MD schools you will have to retake in all likelihood unless you speak Spanish and can apply to Puerto Rican schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there-

I just got my MCAT scores back and I only got a 25 (VR-10, BS-9, PS-6). My undergraduate GPA was on the lower side (3.2). I feel like by the numbers I'm a very sub par applicant.

However, I have done so many other things relating to pursuing a MD degree, proving to myself and hopefully an admissions committee that I'm committed to this. Activities: volunteering at a hospital ER for 3 years, getting my first responder certification to respond to on campus medical emergencies, biology honor society president, and job shadows/informational interviews. I'm currently working in clinical research at an academic teaching hospital and taking a class to get my medical interpreter certification because I would love to practice in Spanish. I have also done too many things to count that aren't directly related to medicine but have shaped who I am as a person and how I interact with others - a few examples: studied abroad twice, organized the entire family weekend program for my university, joined a sorority and took on significant leadership roles, served as a Resident Assistant, undergraduate research with a Biology professor completing my a self designed project, among many other things.

I guess I'm feeling really anxious. I know many people tell you that it's not ALL about the numbers (MCAT and GPA) but are my numbers too low for an admissions committee to even take a look at the other components of my application or invited me for an interview? I'm not sure there is a solid answer to this, but if anyone has thoughts/advice/comments I'd love to hear it.

Thank you and best of luck to you all.

I'm just a pre-med like you, and I'll preface my thoughts and advice by saying I know hardly anything about admissions compared to other members of this site, and what I do know I've learned from SDN.

You're right though, your numbers are very low for MD and below average for DO. It's too bad because it sounds like you have some pretty cool EC's and are a genuine person. Med schools want to know that you're going to be successful in their program though, which your stats don't indicate. I think some schools would even screen you out of their app pool right away with a 6 in PS. Ultimately, I wouldn't bother applying to MD schools.

You might have some chance at DO though, although I'd venture to say with a 6 in a subsection you're stepping into dangerous territory. If you feel you could have done better on the MCAT and specifically can bump up that 6, I'd look at a retake. Your GPA is a little low, but a lot of people get in with a GPA like that. It's your MCAT that's going to hurt you the most IMO.

If you're really heart set on applying MD, you'll need to do a post-bac and probably retake the MCAT.