I'm no geography expert...(new school humor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...but isn't Long Island University's pharmacy program located in Brooklyn, which is part of Long Island? The school name certainly suggests as much. And St. John's University- isn't that located in Queens, which is part of...wait for it...Long Island?

Not according to this article in Pharmacy Times:
"Students in Long Island, New York, interested in pursuing a pharmacy degree may soon have a nearby option for pharmacy school.

Recently, the State University of New York Board of Trustees voted to adopt a resolution endorsing Stony Brook University’s efforts to offer a Doctor of Pharmacy degree to students, subject to approval by the New York State Board of Regents, according to a Stony Brook press release. If all goes well, the Stony Brook University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SPPS) will be founded.

SPPS would be the first pharmacy school on Long Island and would add to the health sciences schools already established at Stony Brook
."

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/careers-news/Stony-Brook-University-Looks-to-Add-Pharmacy-School

Is there a rule that the NYC boroughs don't count as part of Long Island when creating new pharmacy schools? I mean, the 40 miles between St. John's and Stony Brook doesn't sound like much, but when you factor traffic in, clearly it might as well be in a different time zone.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not from NYC - BUT people in Queens and Brooklyn do not consider themselves part of LI, and people from Nassau and Suffolk county do not consider the burrows part of LI. I think it is stupid, but yes, that is how they think

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Geographically, yeah Long Island includes Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk. However, Queens and Brooklyn are considered part of NYC and not Long Island. I'd imagine a lot of the Suffolk county kids will be going to Stony Brook instead. The commute from Suffolk to Queens and Brooklyn and Manhattan is a bitch in the morning. Some of my friends at LIU used to always complain about how they had a 2 hour train ride to get to Brooklyn from out east.

If this option was available when I was applying, I'd have picked Stony Brook.

State school, lower tuition. Plenty of retail pharmacies on Long Island to get IPPEs/APPEs done. And Stony Brook is already a major academic medical center so you'd have rotation sites there. I'd imagine a lot of places in Long Island cancelling their affiliations with St. Johns and LIU Brooklyn and Touro now.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Brooklyn and Queens are a part of New York City. Long Island is Long Island. Two different areas governed by different tax brackets and completely different in many other ways.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Brooklyn and Queens are a part of New York City. Long Island is Long Island. Two different areas governed by different tax brackets and completely different in many other ways.
The OP pointed out that Brooklyn and Queens are located on the island known as "Long Island" - yes, they are two very different econoical/political entities - but noone outside of NY knows or cares.

Just sayin

So while Long Island looks like this:
_518246_i0.png

New Yorkers think of it like this?
(with the gray parts getting the old "Nothing to see here" treatment?)
NYC%2BLong%2BIsland.gif

Either way, still doesn't make the Stony Brook statement true...

So while Long Island looks like this:
_518246_i0.png

New Yorkers think of it like this?
(with the gray parts getting the old "Nothing to see here" treatment?)
NYC%2BLong%2BIsland.gif

Either way, still doesn't make the Stony Brook statement true...
it all sucks in my mind

Reactions: 1 users
I've never been to Long Island. I would like to drive to The Hamptons some day and poop on a random rich guy's driveway.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never been to Long Island. I would like to drive to The Hamptons some day and poop on a random rich guy's driveway.

If you go in the winter, you probably won't find many rich guys there. When I interviewed for a job out here, the recruiter said if I wanted I could rent a house from one of these people for cheap during the winter season and commute during the summer.

You guys sound like *****s here. No offense. Long Island university is a UNIVERSITY. They have a CAMPUS in Brooklyn. That doesn't mean that brooklyn is in Long Island. ITS NOT. New York City has the 5 boroughs and Long Island is Long Island. It may as well be its own state. Everything is different. I have in laws in NY and cousins in longisland. It's like another state. The cops are different, the scenery, the stores, the restaurants, everything...

You guys sound like *****s here. No offense. Long Island university is a UNIVERSITY. They have a CAMPUS in Brooklyn. That doesn't mean that brooklyn is in Long Island. ITS NOT. New York City has the 5 boroughs and Long Island is Long Island. It may as well be its own state. Everything is different. I have in laws in NY and cousins in longisland. It's like another state. The cops are different, the scenery, the stores, the restaurants, everything...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island