I'm not going to dental school...alternative career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Penny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that going to dental school may not be a good decision. The cost of dental school alone is INSANE. When I first started my journey as a pre-dent I completely overlooked this factor because I LOVED the field so much. Now, I'm starting to see that I need to be more practical. Also, something I don't think many people realize is how much dentistry is changing.

After talking with many dentists I have learned that corporate dental offices run by investors are buying out private practices. These corporate offices are popping up everywhere. They have an upper hand because they have multiple locations and can offer their services at a more affordable cost than a private practice can. Not only that but insurance companies are giving more money to these corporations instead of private practice as well.

I am trying to find other careers similar to a dentist. Just doing my research. I want to be a dentist but just looking at the pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I respect your decision to not attend dental school, but your reasons are little short sighted. If you're concerned about cost why not go to a state school? If that's not an option why not apply for a scholarship or go into the military?

As far as you're concerned with corporations taking over private practices, this could happen, but realistically corporations are only concentrated in specific areas throughout the country. If you become a highly repected and honest dentist you will create a loyal following that corporations will never be able create.

Again, it is your choice to be a dentist or not. But remember if it really is your dream, don't give up! There are always solutions to potential issues in the future.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to pursue.!

Reactions: 7 users
I mean, if you really don't want to do dental but want to stay in medicine there's a ton of fields. If I had to choose one besides dentistry it'd be either PA school or nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet if you had a 3.8/22 you would be singing a different song.

Reactions: 12 users
After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that going to dental school is not a good decision. The cost of dental school alone is INSANE. When I first started my journey as a pre-dent I completely overlooked this factor because I LOVED the field so much. Now, I'm starting to see that I need to be more practical. I am not going to specialize because Im a career changer applying (I want to have a family). So my ability to pay off these loans becomes even more difficult. Also, something I don't think many people realize is how much dentistry is changing.

After talking with many dentists I have learned that corporate dental offices run by investors are buying out private practices. These corporate offices are popping up everywhere. They have an upper hand because they have multiple locations and can offer their services at a more affordable cost than a private practice can. Not only that but insurance companies are giving more money to these corporations instead of private practice as well.

So because I did not want to specialize or open up a private practice I think that I should choose a different career path. I am trying to find other careers I could enjoy but Im running short. I would say dental hygiene but the job market seems over-saturated. I was also looking at radiation therapy and training into dosimetry. These are all so different. Any advice?
Try looking into CLS programs (clinical laboratory scientists). If you have a BS in a science and u fulfill their 4 pre-req classes (immuno, medical micro, analytic chemistry, and... something) the program is 1 year where you rotate through different sections of the lab (hematology, blood bank, microbiology, etc etc). Some programs give u stipend- some don't. The starting wage is pretty decent. I'm not sure where u live, but in CA... the average starting wage is somewhere between $35-50/hr in LA/OC ($50/hr if u work 2nd shift FT but no benefits.) although BLS states that CLS make less than that. Each schools or hospitals take very few students (1-4 students/year) but it's not a bad alternative, IMO.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-and-clinical-laboratory-technologists-and-technicians.htm
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/Pages/TrainingPrograms.aspx

Disclaimer: All of the information given may not be relevant to you if you don't live in CA. Not sure what the requirements are for other states (and wages too). I think @StumpMT is a CLS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
You've been looking around these forums too long. The sky really isn't falling.

Reactions: 4 users
After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that going to dental school is not a good decision. The cost of dental school alone is INSANE. When I first started my journey as a pre-dent I completely overlooked this factor because I LOVED the field so much. Now, I'm starting to see that I need to be more practical. I am not going to specialize because Im a career changer applying (I want to have a family). So my ability to pay off these loans becomes even more difficult. Also, something I don't think many people realize is how much dentistry is changing.

So because I did not want to specialize or open up a private practice I think that I should choose a different career path. I am trying to find other careers I could enjoy but Im running short. I would say dental hygiene but the job market seems over-saturated. I was also looking at radiation therapy and training into dosimetry. These are all so different. Any advice?

You've got some good observations going, and you may be right on an infinite time scale, but in my opinion things will still be very good in our lifetimes.

Paying off your loans is difficult, but it's easier if you go to your state school or a school that offers residency after your first year. (Here's a wildly incomplete list.)

As far as corporate dentistry, yes it's on the rise in different incarnations, from large chains like Aspen, to dental support organizations like Heartland, or smaller local chains. But the market for dentistry is so immense and there are still so many underserved locations that there will be room for private practice for a long time.

Regarding corporate's business edge over private practice: it's not a default, innate edge. It's a practical edge. What I mean is that for the most part they simply take over the aspects of the business that dentists aren't for good at or don't want to do---things like marketing, hiring, maintaining IT/infrastructure---all things dentist owners could do as well if they had the wherewithal.

The business models that actually have a real baseline advantage are group practices, because they share overhead costs. But group practices aren't just for corporate chains---they can be owned locally by a dentist, or be a small local partnership of dentists. But even so, there will always be room for a single dentist-owned practice with the right business and interpersonal acumen.

Corporations do tend to fare better in negotiating insurance fees, but once again it's mostly only by comparison to the average dentist who may or may not be a great negotiator. You can make it work if, like with the rest of managing your business, you take it seriously as something you need to learn. Check this out.

Dentistry is still a practical decision, in my opinion. But you have to make things happen if you want "the life." If you want to be a mid-level provider, that's your choice; the pros and cons of that are obvious, and it's a personal choice. If you're trying to decide between dentistry and medicine, I would say that only go into medicine if there's an aspect of a field/specialty you adore, because you're just signing your life away to one institution after another. But it's more secure than dentistry if you're ok with the hours.

Reactions: 3 users
What career are you changing from, or what skills do you already have, @Dr.Penny?

Great posts here for keeping the dream alive. Well done.

Last edited:
Uhh, don't stop him guys. ****, lets try to get this thread sticky'd. Dentistry is horrible, choose a different career everyone! Run Predents! Run as fast as you can!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Our future-

broke-doctor-closeup-portrait-male-physician-dentist-looking-shocked-puzzled-his-empty-wallet-isolated-white-background-health-40098234.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just go and read dental town. Some doctors say they wouldn't pay 400K , but most say they would. You can pay your loans with a 30 year repayment plan. But in actuality pay it off in 4 or 5 years , while still taking an income of 25-30k a year. If you read dental town, you will see that corporations such as heartland pay so much CE for their dentists which is a great pro. They pay over 15 K in CE per year, which gives you speed and confidence to do many procedures. Then there's always a chance to transition into private practice or to to a startup. You shouldn't make Those life long decisions while uninformed.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dentaltown requires you to be a dental student or a dentist to register or read the forum :(

Dentaltown requires you to be a dental student or a dentist to register or read the forum :(

no it doesnt, im not either and i can read them. but im new to that forum and i dont think im allowed to post

I can't read anything - it requires me to register first, and asks what dental school I'm going to o_O

I can't read anything - it requires me to register first, and asks what dental school I'm going to o_O

well yeah you have to make an account, but i think there was other options besides "dental student"

Just go and read dental town. Some doctors say they wouldn't pay 400K , but most say they would. You can pay your loans with a 30 year repayment plan. But in actuality pay it off in 4 or 5 years , while still taking an income of 25-30k a year. If you read dental town, you will see that corporations such as heartland pay so much CE for their dentists which is a great pro. They pay over 15 K in CE per year, which gives you speed and confidence to do many procedures. Then there's always a chance to transition into private practice or to to a startup. You shouldn't make Those life long decisions while uninformed.

Cheers

LOL! No they don't, most say they would not do it for over 250k.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/alarming-posts-on-dentaltown-about-tuition.1110597/

Just put down that you are in a dental school, type dental school debt in the search bar. This topic has been beaten to death on dentaltown.

LOL! No they don't, most say they would not do it for over 250k.
Now you should go to the financial section. Most of those dentists are 50+ they paid 80K < for their dental education. Head to the thread talking about salary for newly grads , opportunities and the debt positivity thread. It's possible to pay off your loans. If you are saying that you disagree with me, then it's because you don't read dental town on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Now you should go to the financial section. Most of those dentists are 50+ they paid 80K < for their dental education. Head to the thread talking about salary for newly grads , opportunities and the debt positivity thread. It's possible to pay off your loans. If you are saying that you disagree with me, then it's because you don't read dental town on a regular basis.

Stop with these straw man arguments. I never said it's not possible to pay off loans. I simply said most dentists on dentaltown would not do dentistry for today's OOS and private school going rate. 250k is the limit for most.

Are these dentists wrong and somehow you are right?

http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBo...=2&f=2656&t=230828&g=1&st=dental student debt

Stop with these straw man arguments. I never said it's not possible to pay off loans. I simply said most dentists on dentaltown would not do dentistry for today's OOS and private school going rate. 250k is the limit for most.

Are these dentists wrong and somehow you are right?

http://www.dentaltown.com/MessageBo...=2&f=2656&t=230828&g=1&st=dental student debt
Hahaha. Most people are not going to be able to school for less than 250k. It's a shame, but that is the way things are now.

If you're honest on the sign up about being pre dental they'll let you in once they verify your school email.

Edit: already answered

Corporations have been in the restaurant business for decades now. Has that stopped people from opening their own restaurants and even being successful?

As far as the debt goes, people keep quoting figures like "after dental school you'll be earning the equivalent of someone who only makes $50,000 per year." Really? Well that's probably what you'll make if if you don't go to to some kind of professional school... The difference is, your salary will likely increase as a dentist by significant margins, and once you have serviced your debt, your income will be significantly more than if you hadn't gone to dental school.

Yes, we all know someone who graduated high school and is now raking it in. So what? My friend's father owns six car dealerships, a racetrack, probably pulls in a few million a year, and as a consequence my fiend was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I don't begrudge him that. I go to my buddy's $600,000 house and hang out with him, and I wouldn't trade my place in life for his. He works for his dad. His destiny is wrapped up in something he didn't create, and I know that it bothers him because he's told me that it does. My friend is a great guy, he brings in easy money, but when we hang out I feel kind of empty sometimes. Surely there's more to life than making lots of money, living in a big house, and playing video games.

If a family is what you're after, you can still have one and be a dentist too. How many dentists do you know who never get married? Didn't someone recently post a statistic which showed that dentists are the most likely of all professions to be married @ 93%?

Corporations have been in the restaurant business for decades now. Has that stopped people from opening their own restaurants and even being successful?

As far as the debt goes, people keep quoting figures like "after dental school you'll be earning the equivalent of someone who only makes $50,000 per year." Really? Well that's probably what you'll make if if you don't go to to some kind of professional school... The difference is, your salary will likely increase as a dentist by significant margins, and once you have serviced your debt, your income will be significantly more than if you hadn't gone to dental school.

Yes, we all know someone who graduated high school and is now raking it in. So what? My friend's father owns six car dealerships, a racetrack, probably pulls in a few million a year, and as a consequence my fiend was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I don't begrudge him that. I go to my buddy's $600,000 house and hang out with him, and I wouldn't trade my place in life for his. He works for his dad. His destiny is wrapped up in something he didn't create, and I know that it bothers him because he's told me that it does. My friend is a great guy, he brings in easy money, but when we hang out I feel kind of empty sometimes. Surely there's more to life than making lots of money, living in a big house, and playing video games.

If a family is what you're after, you can still have one and be a dentist too. How many dentists do you know who never get married? Didn't someone recently post a statistic which showed that dentists are the most likely of all professions to be married @ 93%?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing to the fact that you will have a great take home income after you pay off your debt, given that dentist incomes (which are on average decreasing) does not tank with oversaturation in 10-15 years. But the fact remains that you cannot realistically have an expectation to live like today's dentists when you have 500k loans at 7% interest. That roughly equates to 700-800k in payments. If you want a good idea of how you will compare against today's dentist, minus 700-800k from their net worth, and that will be yours.

Debt positivity thread? Are you serious? Its 3 only pages long and most of the posters talk about paying off debt under 300k. The salaries for first 3 years new grad posted on that thread are certainly not typical or the average. even the forum members allude to this. If you want to bet on yourself making 700k in your 3rd year after graduation then go ahead.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/27/g...-s-jobs-for-2015-10-are-in-the-tech-industry/

Too bad most of these jobs don't require anything more than an undergrad to get started.

100k is not alot today, even bus drivers make that kind of money. Except you paid 700k-800k to get a job.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/27/g...-s-jobs-for-2015-10-are-in-the-tech-industry/

Too bad most of these jobs don't require anything more than an undergrad to get started.

100k is not alot today, even bus drivers make that kind of money. Except you paid 700k-800k to get a job.

Oh please, bus drivers around here start at $16/hour. What's more, they will see only modest raises throughout their career.

I've said this before, but I came from the world of piloting. Everyone talks about how much money pilots earn. Go to airlinepilotcentral sometime (the pilot's equivalent to SDN) and see how miserable and gloomy their posts are. I've seen union turf wars erupt on their forums, pilots call each other out and call out union / company reps and they all complain that the golden era of $250k from the left-seat is long gone. They say that ATC is where the money and job security is at, but you lurk ATC forums (stuckmic) and they complain about the incredible stress and "low wages" that they experience.

I know some people on here subscribe to the "sky is falling" myth and complain that dentists today have it easy, but if that's true, then I hate to tell you it's true across the board. Lawyers making $10/hour, physicians complaining that they have to specialize because being a GP or family practice doc won't cut it, pilots, air traffic controllers, and yes, even the perennial favorites such as engineers and programmers are feeling the pinch. The economy is recovering, but it takes time. Dentists who would have retired in 2008 and held on because of the recession may only now be considering retirement again. You have to remember that economies ebb and flow. Also, remember that the guys who paid less for their education are being replaced by new dentists who paid a lot more for theirs. As a consequence, you can expect costs to rise.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing to the fact that you will have a great take home income after you pay off your debt, given that dentist incomes (which are on average decreasing) does not tank with oversaturation in 10-15 years. But the fact remains that you cannot realistically have an expectation to live like today's dentists when you have 500k loans at 7% interest. That roughly equates to 700-800k in payments. If you want a good idea of how you will compare against today's dentist, minus 700-800k from their net worth, and that will be yours.

There will likely be no oversaturation in 10-15 years. When all of the dentists who rode out the recession finally decide to retire, coupled with the aging boomer generation and a strengthening economy, things may very well get much better. Remember, economies follow boom and bust cycles. Furthermore, I'd like to know where you are getting your data on decreasing dentist salaries?

Reactions: 5 users
Also, remember that the guys who paid less for their education are being replaced by new dentists who paid a lot more for theirs. As a consequence, you can expect costs to rise.

So the costs of dental education has literally doubled since the mid 2000s, has dentist fees even increased over inflation?

Furthermore, I'd like to know where you are getting your data on decreasing dentist salaries?

Dental demand flat, the supply of dentists is growing, and income is falling. Great time to take out 500k loan to be a dentist.

20141101045527276.jpg

Posted by the CEO of dental town, Howard Farran DDS, MBA.

I'm not trying to be the 'loom and gloom' guy. But, be aware of the changes that are happening in dentistry and the climate you are entering into, adjust your expectations, its not the golden age it used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So the costs of dental education has literally doubled since the mid 2000s, has dentist fees even increased over inflation?

Dental demand flat, the supply of dentists is growing, and income is falling. Great time to take out 500k loan to be a dentist.

20141101045527276.jpg

I'm not trying to be the 'loom and gloom' guy. But, be aware of the changes that are happening in dentistry and the climate you are entering into, adjust your expectations, its not the golden age it used to be.

What you are saying falls on deaf ears because most pre-dents live in lala where to them, they all think their above the average and they'll make 200k first year just because they heard someone made that much LOL

Also, remember that the guys who paid less for their education are being replaced by new dentists who paid a lot more for theirs. As a consequence, you can expect costs to rise.

For example this dude is just gonna ignore the fact that dentist fees have not risen at all despite tuition rising substantially and just pretend they'll rise magically just in time so it will convenience him haha

Last edited:
For example this dude is just gonna ignore the fact that dentist fees have not risen at all despite tuition rising substantially and just pretend they'll rise magically just in time so it will convenience him haha

And this dude ^^ is planning to make six-figures (without comparable education/training/risk) in what industry exactly?... Good luck complaining to the rest of America about your 'pittance' of a $130k salary with great job security and significant salary growth, because I promise you that your whining will fall on deaf ears.

20141101045527276.jpg

Average net income peaked in 2006 and steadily declined during the recession. Reported salaries are stagnant because let's face it, when people are getting back on their feet financially the last thing they think about is getting expensive cosmetic dental procedures done. They've got bills to catch up on, credit to restore, and loans to pay off (sound familiar?). I also assume that because dentists took a hit during the recession, advertising went down, and there was a lot more bread-and-butter dentistry going on than many would have liked. I've notice an uptick in the number of flyers for dentists recently, so perhaps a recovery is looming? "You don't know when you're in a trough until you're coming out, and you don't know when you're on a peak until you're falling down."

I have no way of knowing if dentistry will "recover" just as no one can forecast major weather patterns beyond a few weeks. But, like a good meteorologist, we can rely on past data and trends to help us anticipate the future. Dentistry was a mess in the '70s and then again in the '80s, prompting lots of school closures (Oral Roberts in Tulsa, Emory, Georgetown, Farleigh Dickinson, WashU, and Loyola in the span of just 9 years). This idea that ALL of the "golden years" lie in the past is not just pessimistic, it is naive. I wonder what dentists were saying in the '70s and '80s when the economy was in decline and dental schools were having trouble filling their seats. I am reminded of physicists who told their students not to go into the field of physics because there was nothing left to learn and no puzzles left to solve.

Student loans for dentists weren't as bad back then as they are now, but again, this is true across the board. Student loan debt has exploded, and everyone in this country is spending way more to get a degree than they used to. I'm not arguing that someone should just light-heartedly take a $500k loan upon themselves, but if they REALLY want to be a dentist, then why not? Who are any of us to ridicule someone for deciding that they want to spend their money on their education and career? Do we criticize dentists with $1 million homes or $100k cars? How many of you are planning to buy $500k houses or expensive cars someday?

If you think other industries are better, then why not give them a try? Remember though, that if you think it's bad for us, you should put yourself in an MD's shoes. Roughly the same debt burden, plus a 3-5 year residency without loan deferment... Yet people are still becoming physicians, and many of them are still doing quite well financially, especially if they choose to specialize. I have a few friends who are physicians, and despite their debt, all of them love their jobs and don't really think all that much about their automated loan repayments.

I see lists of alternative career choices here on SDN occasionally and they make me laugh. You have people extolling the virtues of other industries full of people who are saying the exact same things about healthcare or even dentistry. There is lots of cherry-picked information out there (like the guys who insist that once you factor in education a DDS/DMD or MD isn't really as lucrative as it initially appears). These arguments often fail to address the fact that other folks have student loans too, and that they often work insane hours. Investment banking? No thanks, I'm perfectly happy not working 80+ hours and only being as good as my last trade.

Perhaps some of you will remember a certain physician with a popular website who argued that nurses (and even teachers) earn about as much as doctors. He tallied up time spent in school (counting undergrad), debt burden, tax policies, training, etc. for physicians, but ignored those same factors for nurses and teachers... No wonder then that the data skewed to fit his agenda. Nurses take out loans, receive advanced training (particularly if they want to move into a specialty), and spend time in school too.

As a final note, it's important to remember that once you are established, you should immediately begin investing. Depending upon the types of funds you choose, you can expect some pretty healthy returns (especially since most of you are still very young and can be a bit riskier). If those returns exceed the interest costs of your loans, then it makes more sense to put your salary into investments than to pay off the loan. $50k into the market with a ~12% ROI over 30 years (I saw 18% over 4 years on my 401k at my last job) vs. $50k against your loans to save you 5% interest should be an obvious financial decision; that is, if you can stomach the inevitable bear markets. If you can't, then investment banking is certainly out of the picture for you too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
And this dude ^^ is planning to make six-figures (without comparable education/training/risk) in what industry exactly?... Good luck complaining to the rest of America about your 'pittance' of a $130k salary with great job security and significant salary growth, because I promise you that your whining will fall on deaf ears.

Average net income peaked in 2006 and steadily declined during the recession. Reported salaries are stagnant because let's face it, when people are getting back on their feet financially the last thing they think about is getting expensive cosmetic dental procedures done. They've got bills to catch up on, credit to restore, and loans to pay off (sound familiar?). I also assume that because dentists took a hit during the recession, advertising went down, and there was a lot more bread-and-butter dentistry going on than many would have liked. I've notice an uptick in the number of flyers for dentists recently, so perhaps a recovery is looming? "You don't know when you're in a trough until you're coming out, and you don't know when you're on a peak until you're falling down."

I have no way of knowing if dentistry will "recover" just as no one can forecast major weather patterns beyond a few weeks. But, like a good meteorologist, we can rely on past data and trends to help us anticipate the future. Dentistry was a mess in the '70s and then again in the '80s, prompting lots of school closures (Oral Roberts in Tulsa, Emory, Georgetown, Farleigh Dickinson, WashU, and Loyola in the span of just 9 years). This idea that ALL of the "golden years" lie in the past is not just pessimistic, it is naive. I wonder what dentists were saying in the '70s and '80s when the economy was in decline and dental schools were having trouble filling their seats. I am reminded of physicists who told their students not to go into the field of physics because there was nothing left to learn and no puzzles left to solve.

Student loans for dentists weren't as bad back then as they are now, but again, this is true across the board. Student loan debt has exploded, and everyone in this country is spending way more to get a degree than they used to. I'm not arguing that someone should just light-heartedly take a $500k loan upon themselves, but if they REALLY want to be a dentist, then why not? Who are any of us to ridicule someone for deciding that they want to spend their money on their education and career? Do we criticize dentists with $1 million homes or $100k cars? How many of you are planning to buy $500k houses or expensive cars someday?

If you think other industries are better, then why not give them a try? Remember though, that if you think it's bad for us, you should put yourself in an MD's shoes. Roughly the same debt burden, plus a 3-5 year residency without loan deferment... Yet people are still becoming physicians, and many of them are still doing quite well financially, especially if they choose to specialize. I have a few friends who are physicians, and despite their debt, all of them love their jobs and don't really think all that much about their automated loan repayments.

I see lists of alternative career choices here on SDN occasionally and they make me laugh. You have people extolling the virtues of other industries full of people who are saying the exact same things about healthcare or even dentistry. There is lots of cherry-picked information out there (like the guys who insist that once you factor in education a DDS/DMD or MD isn't really as lucrative as it initially appears). These arguments often fail to address the fact that other folks have student loans too, and that they often work insane hours. Investment banking? No thanks, I'm perfectly happy not working 80+ hours and only being as good as my last trade.

Perhaps some of you will remember a certain physician with a popular website who argued that nurses (and even teachers) earn about as much as doctors. He tallied up time spent in school (counting undergrad), debt burden, tax policies, training, etc. for physicians, but ignored those same factors for nurses and teachers... No wonder then that the data skewed to fit his agenda. Nurses take out loans, receive advanced training (particularly if they want to move into a specialty), and spend time in school too.

As a final note, it's important to remember that once you are established, you should immediately begin investing. Depending upon the types of funds you choose, you can expect some pretty healthy returns (especially since most of you are still very young and can be a bit riskier). If those returns exceed the interest costs of your loans, then it makes more sense to put your salary into investments than to pay off the loan. $50k into the market with a ~12% ROI over 30 years (I saw 18% over 4 years on my 401k at my last job) vs. $50k against your loans to save you 5% interest should be an obvious financial decision; that is, if you can stomach the inevitable bear markets. If you can't, then investment banking is certainly out of the picture for you too!
Interesting, I was under the impression that every other job was easier, made more money, gave the same or greater level of job security, gave more job satisfaction. ;)

Interesting, I was under the impression that every other job was easier, made more money, gave the same or greater level of job security, gave more job satisfaction. ;)
That would be correct. According to 95% of SDN, dentistry is the WORST career choice.

Someone in this thread even said that bus drivers had a better gig than dentists. There's your proof!

I came across your post by random, I literally was just going through the SDN forums just to see what the dentistry field is like and I saw your thread. There is no one perfect profession, if you go into clinical psychology, we get paid crap while going to school much longer than many physicians have to and we get 1/3 of their pay, and it isn't even growing as much as a field anymore. If you look at pharmacy you will find pharmacists complaining about the lack of respect by their peers, doctors, patients and other health care providers. You also hear pharmacists complain of oversaturation (you hear this with clinical psychology as well, and nursing). In nursing you get people that complain about the poor treatment from their charge nurses and patients and get to see how burnt out a lot of these people are. Seriously, no matter which forum on SDN you look at, you will see a slew of negativity, and I will be honest, it has gotten to me.

One of my all time favorites (not really) is when people say "if you can't get in, you need to find another career, this field may not be for you." Speaking as someone who switched careers....this is NEVER easy, this isn't something you just decide to do because you got a crappy MCAT, PCAT, DAT score or some lower grades or lack of research experience. Let me tell you, years of therapy MIGHT start to repair this if you decide to do a career switch. It's always interesting to see the people in life who have it better than others, perhaps they have better cognitive capacities, or ways of dealing with stress better than others that would allow them to just up and leave one profession to another.

To put things in perspective for you, I applied to a Psy.D. program (Doctor of Psychology) to practice as a psychologist. It requires 5 years of schooling plus 2 years of post-doc fellowship to usually get a license to practice independently. Our starting salaries range from $50-70,000 (WTF). Not only this, but we have a lot of research requirements that most professional programs don't have, last time I checked the curriculum for an MD or DO program, they don't have 3 types of statistics courses, 2 research methods courses or a dissertation to complete to graduate. Most Psy.D. programs will put you in debt $200,000 after all is done. I have $92K in debt just from my undergrad and master's, add $200,000 on top of that and you get the picture.

With more and more threads like this popping up, we should easily solve the "projected" over saturation problem of 2025. Good work! In the meantime, Im starting up the StudentBusDriverNetwork in anticipation of the surge of ex pre-dents searching for $100k+ jobs with $200 or less of student debt.

Reactions: 7 users
I came across your post by random, I literally was just going through the SDN forums just to see what the dentistry field is like and I saw your thread. There is no one perfect profession, if you go into clinical psychology, we get paid crap while going to school much longer than many physicians have to and we get 1/3 of their pay, and it isn't even growing as much as a field anymore. If you look at pharmacy you will find pharmacists complaining about the lack of respect by their peers, doctors, patients and other health care providers. You also hear pharmacists complain of oversaturation (you hear this with clinical psychology as well, and nursing). In nursing you get people that complain about the poor treatment from their charge nurses and patients and get to see how burnt out a lot of these people are. Seriously, no matter which forum on SDN you look at, you will see a slew of negativity, and I will be honest, it has gotten to me.

One of my all time favorites (not really) is when people say "if you can't get in, you need to find another career, this field may not be for you." Speaking as someone who switched careers....this is NEVER easy, this isn't something you just decide to do because you got a crappy MCAT, PCAT, DAT score or some lower grades or lack of research experience. Let me tell you, years of therapy MIGHT start to repair this if you decide to do a career switch. It's always interesting to see the people in life who have it better than others, perhaps they have better cognitive capacities, or ways of dealing with stress better than others that would allow them to just up and leave one profession to another.

To put things in perspective for you, I applied to a Psy.D. program (Doctor of Psychology) to practice as a psychologist. It requires 5 years of schooling plus 2 years of post-doc fellowship to usually get a license to practice independently. Our starting salaries range from $50-70,000 (WTF). Not only this, but we have a lot of research requirements that most professional programs don't have, last time I checked the curriculum for an MD or DO program, they don't have 3 types of statistics courses, 2 research methods courses or a dissertation to complete to graduate. Most Psy.D. programs will put you in debt $200,000 after all is done. I have $92K in debt just from my undergrad and master's, add $200,000 on top of that and you get the picture.
Just curious what field you switched from?

Just curious what field you switched from?

I was a classical musician (bass trombone), I played for orchestras and taught. I then switched to studying sociology and psychology then did my master's in cognitive neuroscience and did research in clinical neuropsychology. I am seeing how this works out...this field is very very competitive with the field dying down. This is a prime example of doing something you love. I switched from music which by all examples is probably the worst in terms of making a living, actually, it is declining according to BLS statistical data, so I supposed I exchanged one dying field for another :p.

At least with dentistry or medicine or pharmacy, you guys make 6 figures with a 12-14% growth rate as a profession. Psychologists make about $50-70K for much more schooling with a growth rate of about 12-16%.

........But Dr. Penny just wanted advice on alternative careers.

I was a classical musician (bass trombone), I played for orchestras and taught. I then switched to studying sociology and psychology then did my master's in cognitive neuroscience and did research in clinical neuropsychology. I am seeing how this works out...this field is very very competitive with the field dying down. This is a prime example of doing something you love. I switched from music which by all examples is probably the worst in terms of making a living, actually, it is declining according to BLS statistical data, so I supposed I exchanged one dying field for another :p.

At least with dentistry or medicine or pharmacy, you guys make 6 figures with a 12-14% growth rate as a profession. Psychologists make about $50-70K for much more schooling with a growth rate of about 12-16%.

I did music too. BMus in cello performance. Competitive is auditioning for a single chair in an orchestra against 115 other exceptionally qualified applicants. You start when you are 4 or 5, sink thousands upon thousands of hours into your instrument, then go to school, often to earn an advanced degree (DMA or MM), all so you can fight for that one open seat which pays maybe $60k or $70k if you're lucky enough. I have some friends who have had great careers in music, but even they struggle occasionally with exception for the few who became famous. A Juilliard education is not an insurance policy against having to freelance and scramble for income from time to time. Being a musician is wonderful, but when it becomes your sole source of income, you begin to loathe music which is opposite the desired effect.

I didn't get a music scholarship to FSU, so I auditioned for and got accepted into the Marine Corps band program. I was a bassoonist. I decided I hated spending endless hours doing scale patterns but I loved making reeds. Around the same time I realized I was interested in dentistry. The rest is history, as they say.

Reactions: 2 users
I attended New England Conservatory for my first undergrad, full scholarship included. Imagine bass trombone, where there is literally only one of us in the orchestra, at least cello you have more than 7. Bass Trombonists sit there until they literally die over after playing a Wagner opera probably at the age of 72, then 300+ bass trombonist apply for the one position in the orchestra, once occupied, will stay that way until the guy dies or another orchestra has an opening for him to audition for with a higher pay. With 2 orchestras closing their doors every year now, the state of classical music is beyond terrible.

........But Dr. Penny just wanted advice on alternative careers.

..I did, my summary of my comments: Don't look at alternative careers just yet. If the variables being considered might be a bit obscured in the decision making process, perhaps gaining unbiased perspectives is the best to see if restructuring his variables will be better for him vs. the ones he has proposed.