I'm not learning anything in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well damn you must be the savior of pharmacy, bored with the content already after the first two weeks. Bro let it put it bluntly, the first week is orientation and a lot of bs, so you really had 1 week and the first day is class syallabus, so you had 4 day of school. When you're in P2, let me know if its still easy. I also find it hard to believe someone that remember everything from undergrad as you postulated yet your gpa is 3.3 or 3.4? i applied to pharmacy school with a 3.82 from a large research university and i can tell you i definitely did not remember 50% all that was taught to me from ochem/physiology/biology/biochem although the fundamental concepts I have grasped from my undergrad class i did retain. Worst you can do is quit but spare us your i'm too smart/pharmacy school is so easy. Actually I take it back, pharmacy school is relatively not too difficult but to do extremely well that's a different story.
i remember almost everything from biochem, ochem, gen chem. GPA reflects mosty short term memory, not necessarily long term memory.

Members don't see this ad.

i remember almost everything from biochem, ochem, gen chem. GPA reflects mosty short term memory, not necessarily long term memory.
No. GPA reflects either. There is no way short term retention is more valuable.

Um, fact, something has to be in your short term memory before it can get in your long term memory. People who do well on tests, might not do well later because they've forget everything they've learned (it was only in their short term memory.) But the opposite is NOT true (baring some kind of test anxiety thing) people who do bad on tests, still do bad later on.)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's wonderful that you remember everything form Ochem, Gen Chem, and Bio Chem, however do you know all top 100 drugs (brand and generic names), their mechanism of action, their pharmacokinetics, and their adverse reactions? Can you counsel on all of these drugs at a drop of a hat?

If no....then pharmacy school will get harder. If yes....then you are some crazy, weird genious that will find medical school boring.

That's wonderful that you remember everything form Ochem, Gen Chem, and Bio Chem, however do you know all top 100 drugs (brand and generic names), their mechanism of action, their pharmacokinetics, and their adverse reactions? Can you counsel on all of these drugs at a drop of a hat?

If no....then pharmacy school will get harder. If yes....then you are some crazy, weird genious that will find medical school boring.

I think that's a poor representation of what we come out of school after 4 years knowing... any first year can read the back of a package insert to a patient, and it would probably like this: "Mrs Patient , you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and SJS while on your 3 days of Bactrim for UTI. Also, taking your coumadin with this might make you bleed more."

Knowing what are the main points to hit on while counseling and not treating every DUR as an absolute contraindication is what separates us from a computer.

It's the second week of pharmacy school and I still haven't learned a single thing. It's a repeat of college science courses, as well as some high school, and articles I read on my free time...

I feel like I am wasting my money. When does it get harder and I actually learn something new?

Ask yourself this: do you actually want to be a pharmacist? Because if you know the nature of the work you plan to do, you will eventually learn it in school. By the way you framed that question, I'm not sure if you have clear goals whether or not you want to practice pharmacy. I also hated what I learned first semester and later liked what I learned when we started to cover disease phathophysiology. However, I really learned the nature of the work in rotations year and at that time I wasn't sure if pharmacy was really the right field for me at all, but by that time it was too late. Have a clear goal in mind as to what you want to do. Most pharmacists work in retail or hospital, if you don't like either of those, consider doing something else

this person seems to be the type of ppl who get bored easily and jump ship. while he/she is talented and well rounded, but after wasting so much time going round about they end up wasting more and more time and accomplish nothing, as they never intended to finish anything that they started.
yea unfortunately that's me. LOL. Except I finished pharmacy because I was in a 0-6 program and had I left after my first semester, it'd probably take me 4.5-5 years doing a bachelors in just biology, and I probably wouldn't have done just biology so it seemed silly to expend an extra year to do a BA whereas it would take me one more year to get a doctorate. I had issues after first semester that included not being able to get an internship and being in a program that didn't encourage student research or publications until they changed the program by the time I was a P4 -which I think had I had an internship and had I been in the class of
2015/2016 I would be much more confident/happy with my decision. But I definitely gave pharmacy a chance and while I constantly wonder/wish I did something else with my undergrad career, I've at least finished something

Reactions: 1 user

This makes no sense... you have great long term memory great but you say your short term is bad, how dose that compute? i'm not neurologist but i do recall reading memory formation and it pretty much states short term memory through sleep and other process becomes long term. How do you have poor short term but great long term? In any case, you can always leave if you're bored this is actually a great time since you just started instead of regretting later on, however, i can assure you the real life practice of pharmacotherapy and utilizing pharmacokinetics is not easy. Its probably easier than medicine no doubt, but the field is not per se vs other professions. Even community pharmacy is not easy although i have limited experience.

On the other hand, there are several students in my class that are set on retail and say that should not be learning detailed guidelines of acute care disorders in hospital. They say that since majority of pharmacy is retail, the clinical acute care topics should be elective. Thoughts ?

On the other hand, there are several students in my class that are set on retail and say that should not be learning detailed guidelines of acute care disorders in hospital. They say that since majority of pharmacy is retail, the clinical acute care topics should be elective. Thoughts ?

It's required for the same reason that MD students have to cycle through OB & surgery & all the other specialties that they think they will never have any interest in. 1) people need to be exposed to different areas, for them to make an informed choice about the direction they want their career to move into 2) it benefits all practitioners to have a basic knowledge of what practitioners in other areas job involve.

Reactions: 1 users
Spend your time in class researching future career paths. And adventures