I'm on the verge of giving up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this is the same question being asked or and over, I use my moms money for cabs($18 total to go back d forth to school 3 days a week) or my stepdad takes me in the morning or whenever he gets a vacation from work he works from from afternoon to early morning.

Sorry for the repetitive question. It seems like some info is coming out in drips and drabs.

Get the loans.

Members don't see this ad.

W
When I go to Uni in state I'll need about $2000-$3000 extra. My grant covers $5500 for two semesters. Tuition at uni here is between $8000-$10000 and did I forget to mention room and board that's about $4000-$8000 alone. If I go out of state I would solely have to rely on the money that the uni gives me plus loans(I would have no choice). Even though I dread it, I will eventually have to take out some sort of loan.

This may sound totally insane, but have you considered going to Germany for school? Education there is very cheap/high quality, and you would only pay a small fee per semester. If I remember right, you'd pay less than $1000/semester. For a STEM program, courses will most likely be taught in English, so you only need to learn German for pragmatic purposes (grocery store, social life - although many Germans speak English, etc.). I am not sure how that would work out with medical school, though.

It wouldn't. Only US/Canadian credits are fully recognized.

There are a million ways to overcome the barriers, but it doesn't make them less frustrating. I feel for the OP but think that the poor attitude towards everyone who has tried to help is the biggest obstacle to overcome.
I fully agree with this. OP seems to have excuses for everything, and although I sympathize and wish OP the best, I don't think they would stand a chance living abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of speaking for the other poster, I assume that by "support," he meant financial support, not support in terms of showing up at birthday parties. The father should be paying child support, right?
OMG he is not my biological father, but he has been there for all three of us and I''m not even his child, he's the only father I have but he has a job and a girlfriend so why the hell would I expect him to take care of. My mother never took my real father to child support idk why, maybe because she didn't want any conflict with the family or maybe shes hiding something.

This may sound totally insane, but have you considered going to Germany for school? Education there is very cheap/high quality, and you would only pay a small fee per semester. If I remember right, you'd pay less than $1000/semester. For a STEM program, courses will most likely be taught in English, so you only need to learn German for pragmatic purposes (grocery store, social life - although many Germans speak English, etc.). I am not sure how that would work out with medical school, though.
you go to medical school after high school in Germany and it is extremely competitive for internationals. I would definitely not recommend this path if op doesn't even know German..

Hard for the person to make use of advice when they are almost certainly trolling. The more that the OP posts, the more I am convinced of it. It's just one excuse after the other.

There is online work.

There is online school.

Using a disability as an excuse is just so upsetting especially when some parts of the story keep changing. And of course the mom has depression, epilepsy and depression are co-morbidities! Plus some of those meds actually cause depression. My mother's MSBP and bipolar did not stop me from going to college, just like none of my disabilities did. My estranged father has a number of issues.

Don't have a counselling center? Google: online free counselling

Can't afford CPR course? Google: online free cpr

If your state has Medicaid that you are qualified for, they will give you counseling and will transport you to and from. I have more than a few friends who had to get it that route and in red states too.

If you are as anxious as you say and have a piece of paper with a diagnosis on it, try for Voc Rehab. They will take you for assessment, for counselling, and help you get a job and in some states even pay for you to go to school. I know because I used some of their services.
Dam you, my mom is sick not me( I guess a little mentally I am not using a disability as an excuse. I was only stating that my mother was on disability and shes a single parent with two kids plus me(3), we are in poverty, she makes only $11,000 a year, read the posts before you comment and also I'm not a troll. Oh and some med schools don't except online coursework

you go to medical school after high school in Germany and it is extremely competitive for internationals. I would definitely not recommend this path if op doesn't even know German..
I was thinking of going to the UK, all I need is a 700+ on 3 SAT subject tests to get into Oxford.

I was thinking of going to the UK, all I need is a 700+ on 3 SAT subject tests to get into Oxford.
you should probably figure out everything else before moving to the other side of the world.

Reactions: 2 users
you should probably figure out everything else before moving to the other side of the world.
Yeah it's kind of not possible as of right now, that's why I was THINKING, but I was thinking of this about a year and a half ago right before I entered undergrad

I don't know about funding for Oxford, but I'd think you'd have a lot to cover, and you have no means to do so.

Imagine the scenario:

Person 1: I'm afraid to go to the Emergency Room

Person 2: Why?

Person 1: Because I've deeply cut myself and am bleeding heavily.

Hmmmmm

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dam you, my mom is sick not me( I guess a little mentally I am not using a disability as an excuse. I was only stating that my mother was on disability and shes a single parent with two kids plus me(3), we are in poverty, she makes only $11,000 a year, read the posts before you comment and also I'm not a troll. Oh and some med schools don't except online coursework

You claimed also to have severe anxiety which *is* a disability. I know because most of my disability accommodations are for anxiety. One of the definitions of disability: "limitation in the ability to pursue an occupation because of a physical or mental impairment" Anxiety is mental. You are 19 and are having difficulty with school and work.

I read your posts in this thread, every single one of them, and am watching your story change which is so typical of people who are trolls.

You want to complain about not being able to find work... work from home. It's not as impossible as some make it out to be. Do Leapforce. They do pay and you can be unskilled. I've worked with them. Made like 2K in two months then I quit it as I hated it. There are others that do the same. If you had writing skills, there are tons of places which have paid me to write or edit. I had one place literally pay me $200 an hour. I didn't make a fortune because I was in school at the time but making 15K in my pjs was decent. My friend has even more on her list of things she has written for as she did that professionally for 5 or so years before she got her current job, which is also online but that is doing customer care. Sign up for freelancer. Try fiverr.

Obviously you need to take English (online or in-person) because it is "accept" and by all means you can feel free to tell me all about what medical schools do and do not accept since you have no experience with them while I do. One of my degrees was online. Granted it was a grad degree which I did when I was unable to drive or do much of anything because of those 100 seizures a week.

My post-bacc was at a CC which people also claim they don't accept, but yet I am studying at a mid-tier medical school. Some of those courses, also online. Again disabled and on a driving restriction and I had to depend on my husband to drive me 1.5 hours each way to school some semesters.

The fact is, provided it doesn't say on-line and there is a brick-and-mortar school, for the most part they are not going to question it. I just wouldn't use University of Phoenix or related which I don't think anyone accepts.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe in being compassionate and understanding and such. I am wondering what you would have us suggest that hasn't been suggested already, and that hasn't been, IDK, dismissed as undoable?

Forgive the cliche' but as they say, "Where there is a will, there is a way." You may not find the way to always be the most ideal, but, so long as it is legal and healthy and right, a way is a way.

Have you thoroughly researched things?

Why wouldn't you be eligible for a Pell Grant?

In school, whether it be a community college or university, you will find that there are student services that can guide you with or direct you to resources for a number of issues you have shared.

You must take the initiative and then keep going.

If you are using a computer at a library, make the best use of your time there in terms of research.

One step at a time, but for God's sake. Take a step.

Prayers & Blessings for/to you.

I believe in being compassionate and understanding and such. I am wondering what you would have us suggest that hasn't been suggested already, and that hasn't been, IDK, dismissed as undoable?

Forgive the cliche' but as they say, "Where there is a will, there is a way." You may not find the way to always be the most ideal, but, so long as it is legal and healthy and right, a way is a way.

Have you thoroughly researched things?

Why wouldn't you be eligible for a Pell Grant?

In school, whether it be a community college or university, you will find that there are student services that can guide you with or direct you to resources for a number of issues you have shared.

You must take the initiative and then keep going.

If you are using a computer at a library, make the best use of your time there in terms of research.

One step at a time, but for God's sake. Take a step.

Prayers & Blessings for/to you.
I am eligible for a pell grant and I've used it and thankfully it covered everything from books to supplies. I try to research everything from transfer schools to medical schools. I have spent more time researching than I have been doing school work this week. We're on break and I'm catching up on everything as we speak. I have 2 more weeks of school left. Have to immediately pay $500 that I owe for a summer class so I can register for classes and view my final grades(my account is on hold because I didn't satisfy the payment). My main issue is that these classes are filling up quickly so I have to pay like....yesterday. My first step is getting at least a B in math and English composition ii. And A's in communication and ethics. I have to have a certain GPA for schools like UofMaryland and StonyBrook, so I'm working extremely hard so my GPA will rise from a 2.8 to a 3 point something.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about funding for Oxford, but I'd think you'd have a lot to cover, and you have no means to do so.

Imagine the scenario:

Person 1: I'm afraid to go to the Emergency Room

Person 2: Why?

Person 1: Because I've deeply cut myself and am bleeding heavily.

Hmmmmm
Was the cut by accident?

I can't believe I'm still following this. It's entertaining.

UPDATE: I just got called from the same job as utility/dishwasher(again)...the job is at the same location which is 8 miles away from my home, that will run me about $30 a day(don't know the work days, because I haven't even been interviewed)I don't even think the manager know that I'm the same person because we never met, I just walked out of the building because I said wow this is way too far in distance for my budget(I catch cabs to school, so paying to get to school and work is just horrible, and then back home), hopefully I'll be making more money than I'm spending(maybe $8.75 per hours) the position is from 3p-8p) Hopefully I make a friend there I can commute with. I was hoping I was getting a car for my birthday today, but my family doesn't care to buy me one.

UPDATE: I just got called from the same job as utility/dishwasher(again)...the job is at the same location which is 8 miles away from my home, that will run me about $30 a day(don't know the work days, because I haven't even been interviewed)I don't even think the manager know that I'm the same person because we never met, I just walked out of the building because I said wow this is way too far in distance for my budget(I catch cabs to school, so paying to get to school and work is just horrible, and then back home), hopefully I'll be making more money than I'm spending(maybe $8.75 per hours) the position is from 3p-8p) Hopefully I make a friend there I can commute with. I was hoping I was getting a car for my birthday today, but my family doesn't care to buy me one.
omg.

Reactions: 1 users
Your family is impoverished, and you're complaining that you didn't get a car for your birthday? For the love of God, please stop posting on these forums, you self-loathing, ungrateful, child.

Reactions: 5 users
Your family is impoverished, and you're complaining that you didn't get a car for your birthday? For the love of God, please stop posting on these forums, you self-loathing, ungrateful, child.
Outside of this house everyone has money, that doesn't mean that they know what I'm going through, sheesh.

You guys are getting your panties in a bunch calm down.

are you just excited...or not excited as me? I have to spend my money to get back and forth to work but at least I'll have some type of money left over. I use my student loans to buy a car. I'm a little spoiled....but shhhhh

I have been on this thread for so long that I feel like having fun, lighten up people.

I hope this isn't a troll thread. To do this for attention would be really sad.

are you just excited...or not excited as me? I have to spend my money to get back and forth to work but at least I'll have some type of money left over. I use my student loans to buy a car. I'm a little spoiled....but shhhhh
I'm laughing. Finding this funny. I'm getting what's going on here

UPDATE: the job is at the same location which is 8 miles away from my home, that will run me about $30 a day

I really don't know why I'm still posting on this thread, but for some reason I feel compelled to point out that for 2-3 days of cab fare, you could buy a used bike that would thenceforth take you to work and back for free.

I really don't know why I'm still posting on this thread, but for some reason I feel compelled to point out that for 2-3 days of cab fare, you could buy a used bike that would thenceforth take you to work and back for free.
I'm inactive riding a bike for almost 10 miles is like trying out for the olympics, dammit lance Armstrong...

When I go buy a bike, I mind as well go sign up for the 2016 olympics, who's with me?

I
I hope this isn't a troll thread. To do this for attention would be really sad.
For attention? I was irrational yesterday but everything I was saying was true, maybe I have more positive outlook on things today...I need to get diagnosed immediately. But I'm definitely not trolling.

PSA: This whole thread has been a very successful troll. I have been thoroughly fooled :mad: We should probably stop humoring him/her though.

PSA: This whole thread has been a very successful troll. I have been thoroughly fooled :mad: We should probably stop humoring him/her though.
I am not trolling for one funny comment please scroll up to about 10 post before, I said I've been on this thread long enough so its time for us to lighten up, sheesh.

I can't afford to take a gap year, I'll be a old hag by time I go into med school.

I believe the OP is a troll and even so, I can't resist... sorry. I really. really. can't.

images

I'm 51. You're not qualified to join my ranks yet, little one ;)

*URGENT* I am not a troll, in light of another year of me being on this earth*sheds an invisible tear* I am effing excited today, you guys and gals have really helped me(well for today at least) so I am going to the job, hopefully I get called for other jobs before or if I get this one( though I really don't want to take it because me and my mom agrees that it was out of our price ranges), I'll at least try and also show up so I don't waste anyone's time. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated with my antics. Should I use a student loan to put a $700 down payment on a car????? Or bad idea????

I believe the OP is a troll and even so, I can't resist... sorry. I really. really. can't.

images

I'm 51. You're not qualified to join my ranks yet, little one ;)
51 isn't old...eternity is.

I'm uncomfortable around any other peewee's other than my future husbands.

:lol: so, you are 18 going on 19; have been born into poverty, and on the verge of giving up? And according to the above, you're getting married??? :lol: Sorry. :troll:

...............Oh boy, where my popcorn at? :claps:

Yeah, I picked up the whiff of spoiled entitlement on the first page.

:lol: so, you are 18 going on 19; have been born into poverty, and on the verge of giving up? And according to the above, you're getting married??? :lol: Sorry. :troll:
Or she could just be like every other teenager that thinks their first relationship will be their last.

1) I was born in poverty and lived my entire life in poverty and that includes as an adult. I am 34 and only got off SNAP when I was accepted to medical school. I went through 4 rounds of medical school applications almost entirely on the FAP program.
2) Many undergraduate schools will give a free ride to people if your family makes under a certain amount a year. These things only went into effect after I graduated. Others will still give a decent grant amount.
3) I have literally never had a normal job. Being disabled and on a driving restriction (I have epilepsy) makes it difficult. Being transsexual makes it worse. My best friend, who literally I have known for almost 20 years, cannot drive (no license), is rural, and is basically bed-bound and has almost no education. She was born/raised in a trailer park with no real outlook. There are online jobs you can aim for. They pretty much suck but she is using the something like 20K a year she is making in order to pay one class at a time to get her medical transcription certification/degree/whatever.
4) You don't need to pay for training classes to get direct patient contact. I sure didn't. Many place will pay for you to go and pay for the classes.

What you need to do is to try to stop getting yourself down in the dumps. There are tons of resources out there. It's just a one step at a time issue. Focus on getting a car and/or a job. Then worry later about all these other things. If you look at everything at once, you are going to have a breakdown.

Oh my goodness.

Or she could just be like every other teenager that thinks their first relationship will be their last.

Hey, I still do believe that. Well, It's been true so far..... Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.