IM Program Rank in Southern California for future GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lurkerlarry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for reading. I'm a current MS4 and am interviewing at IM programs to start residency in June 2013. I'm hoping to do a GI fellowship in the future and was wondering if anyone could help me rank the IM programs in Southern California. I'm fine with slaving away as a resident if it means I get to do GI in the future!

I didn't receive an interview at Reagan but the programs I'm trying to sort through are:

UCLA Harbor
UCLA Cedars Sinai
UCSD
UCLA Olive View
USC
Scripps Mercy
UCI

Any help in ranking these would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the other helpful information in the GI forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont know them well but the ones with national recognition off top of my head and im sure everyone else, are Cedars Sinai w Dr Spiegel and UCSD with Dr Sandborn, current AGA prez Dr Crowe, and Dr Boland returned recently, albeit in what seems to be a semi retired role

If you want to match into GI by going to an internal medicine program in southern California:
UCLA > UCSD > USC vs Cedars Sinai (not affiliated with UCLA) vs UCI > UCLA Olive View > UCLA Harbor

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who are applying to IM in SoCal and interested in GI, this is Cedars-Sinai residents' GI match this year. :)
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester - NIH (T32) track
- Johns Hopkins
- University of Michigan
- UC Davis
- Kaiser LA