IM residencies calling your dean - what does it mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serialsevens

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was told by one of my deans that 2 programs in Boston (won't name them to be super cautious) called to ask about a short list of applicants from my med school. My dean said this was a good thing (I'm AOA, high board scores, etc... and have no red flags on my transcript like a test failure or professionalism issues that would prompt a "clarification call") and that she had nothing but great things to say...so I'm grateful. But I'm also curious to know if this means the programs are more seriously considering ranking me to match. I'm applying prelim medicine (+anesthesia applicant) and would really love to go to either of these medicine programs for my prelim year, but I don't want to read into this and set myself up for disappointment.

I know we're supposed to take any pre/post interview communication with a grain of salt, but has anyone else had any experience with this (specifically with Boston programs)? Anyone have any idea what it means?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a general rule, whether it is a training program, job, or blind date, people will not bother calling your dean/employers/references/mother unless they are seriously considering you. Otherwise it is a waste of their time (and the dean's time).

The Dean of your medical school (so the Medicine Chairman's boss) was called regarding your application? Or do you mean the sub-Dean who wrote your Dean's Letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops! My apologies - the Senior Associate Dean for Students (ie the dean who wrote my MSPE).

Got paranoid. (Must be the pre-match nerves making me over think everything.) Deleted just in case.

Last edited:
This all sounds like middle school level bull****.

They should just send out habd written notes that say, "I like you, do you like me?!" With two check boxes, one for yes, one for no.

As someone who has been watching this process for the last sever years now, it has gone from stupid to ******ed and no one even seems properly ashamed of how ******ed it is like they should be.

Reactions: 1 users