I'm scared to death of the 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in August and got a 21. This is pretty much my last chance. Last time I started studying too late because I was finishing up my Masters. I apparently also didn't put enough time into it. I'm studying on my own as I can't afford to take one of the courses (some of them literally cost more than I make in a year). But I digress. I'm studying primarily using Khan Academy's MCAT 2015 videos and the Kaplan MCAT 2015 ebooks. Is there anything I should be doing or should not be doing to improve my score? It's looking like I'm going to need something greater than a 500 on the new MCAT? Or is that different b/c it's a bell curve? I've not yet seen any schools post their requirements for MCAT 2015. I'm primarily looking at DO schools b/c they tend to have lower GPA and MCAT requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your study strategy the first time? How were you scoring on AAMC SAs and Practice tests?

I think part of my problem is that I never did any of the official practice tests. What's an SA? My strategy was just to go through the EK book and do the sample tests at the end of each section. I suck the big one at physics, and it was like that section of the book was written in Arabic. I like TBR's physics section much more, but even though I thought I understood more of it, I did really poorly in the physics section. I'm hoping to devote more time to it (I'm starting studying much earlier this time).

I have found that if you don't practice aamc style passages, the content review becomes a passive activity in which your understanding of true application is not developed. Check out the self assessments and practice tests on the e-mcat site. My plan is to go through all of them and do a post-game analysis on each question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those assessments free? I'm super poor. I probably won't be able to access the practice test until I get the fee reduction, which afaik, I won't be able to apply for until at least December.

That's more than I paid to take the MCAT itself. Since I got a fee reduction, it was $100 (which is still ridiculous). Idk how useful AAMC3 will be for MCAT 2015 given that it's quite old.

AAMC #3 will be useful in your preparation, just don't rely on it heavily. What you definitely want to pick up, and will most likely use more than once, is the new AAMC practice test for the '15 shift. This test is $25 and you can take it 10 times - though that's gonna be over kill.
Do tons of practice - this is a mantra that will not change just because the test will change. The trick, obviously, is that you'll have to supplement the books that you were using for the old test. You seemed to have already done that by purchasing the Kaplan books, but they don't have a whole lot of practice questions. The Khan is a great resource and has a ton of passages, but if you're starting to study now for the earliest April date then you'll need more most likely.
I recommend getting the Official Guide to the AAMC book which has 120 AAMC questions for the new test. Since the amount of practice the AAMC has released for the new test is so minimal thus far, I really recommend you get everything they have available.
What you have now will make for a great start, but my guess is by February you may want to invest in a couple of practice books.

Good luck!!

I can get a free copy of the AAMC guide when I am able to apply for the fee reduction, which, I believe, will be in January. The pre-med advisor said I should take it no later than June. It seems like a good strategy would be to do the Kaplan books and whatever else I have (btw, I already have a PDF copy of AAMC 3 from before), then take the test once to see where I'm deficient. Look at those areas again, then retest. Idk. Haha. I have an anxiety disorder and this is about to give me a panic attack.

Ok first breathe. Second, since you have financial issues, I strongly condone getting your hands on materials in any way possible (yes I'm evil sue me). Third, you have a lot of time to get ready and that involves starting from scratch. You will need to review your content, UNDERSTAND what the hell is going on, and make sure you master the concepts. After you find yourself one with the different concepts, test your knowledge with exercises.
It's not an easy test, nor is it easy to prepare for it even with the right material but what really helps is writing down your own schedule, taking as much time as you need with the material, and not giving up when you're tired.

Now concerning the material, I'm more of a berkeley/princeton kind of guy but you may not have that choice. It's ok, use Kaplan and substitute it with online videos/lectures/whatever, the internet is full of free helpful things. You just gotta work hard and you'll reach your goal.