im seriously about to cry.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty934

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
7 rejections and 2 holds on my application, no interviews so far.
I'm feeling so hopeless and I feel like it's the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I remember seeing your previous posts -- it seems like you've been stressing about your application for some time. You wrote elsewhere that you applied to like 20+ schools, so you still have like half of them in contention. Why not use that energy proactively and contact some schools you 1) think you have a great chance to attend, and 2) really really want to go to. Write to them why their school is awesome and how you've improved your application -- and you can use this opportunity to showcase your writing skills (you wrote in a previous post that you were worried how ESL classes may look).

You can also contact schools that rejected you, and very politely inquire what they think would improve your application for the next cycle. Then you can do those things to improve your application-- and you'll either be prepared to talk about your new activities at a potential interview, or have a better application for next year. Plus, it shows you're willing to ask questions and learn from rejection; that you'll keep trying at a goal and not quit when times get tough.

The application process is very stressful -- and some people may end up applying multiple times. But that doesn't mean it's the end of the world! There's still hope for this cycle, but even though it's hard, it's also good to look forward to the next season. You might feel better working towards a goal. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Before I say anything, you obviously have not been rejected yet so what I write below may not apply. But please keep it in mind.

I have witnessed so many people apply for professional school and not get accepted. Please know that you are not alone. Whether it's dental school, med school, pharm, speech pathology, or any other competitive program, sometimes the cookie doesn't crumble in your favor. It's frustrating. It is really unfair. And at this point it probably feels like there is not much you can control.

BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE - I have seen quite a few persistent, dedicated, and passionate applicants keep at it for not just 1, but MULTIPLE years. As a matter of fact, when I interviewed at a school this past year they brought in a D4 who applied to that school 5 times. FIVE TIMES.

Now, I'm not sure I would have done 5 cycles without giving up. That's pretty remarkable. But what this student and others like him have taught me is that those who really believe that dentistry is for them and desire to make it happen will stick it through until they MAKE it happen. Of course, its not that simple. Changes have to be made. Specifically, changes that will make you a competitive applicant. For instance, if you had a low DAT score, studying for many extra months and possibly taking extra courses in school to reaffirm your knowledge are a good bet. Taking practice DAT exams to monitor your progress is also a good idea. If you had a low GPA, enrolling in a post-bac program would be worth your while if you can show that you've learned from being rejected (ie, you get a better GPA in a post bac program).

You might be thinking 'woah! this sounds pretty expensive!!! And like SO much work!!' And you're absolutely right. There is no getting around that, and maybe that's why it isn't worth it for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But to those who really want it, cost doesn't matter. They are willing to make sacrifices in order to keep striving for their dream. So really you just have to decide whether or not it is worth it for you to keep going. And not because you've come this far. But because you genuinely WANT to keep going. Too many times, people believe that there is no other way. There are many other options! But you have to decide which route is the one for you.

Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't say this to be mean - but honestly, based on your numbers, are you surprised by the current outcome? Instead of getting upset, use that energy towards improving your application for the next cycle, if this one doesn't pan out. It's important to stay proactive rather than allowing yourself to get depressed.

Reactions: 1 user
It is not the end of the world! You have not heard back from all of them and in the worst case scenario, you get to take another year to enjoy yourself and improve your application! Try to enjoy every aspect of the process of getting into this amazing profession and try to see it less as a race and more as a journey. Good luck and I know you will be just fine if you keep trying and believe in yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
but you applied to about 20 schools, right?
So you still have to hear from 13 schools and it is not late yet.
I haven't applied yet, but I think you could still get in.

And really, I think the worst thing could be that you need to apply for a second time and stay home for a year. In that case, you could stay home, work and enjoy life after graduating.

Dude stop the self-pitying, you're not gonna die. I applied 3 freaking times before I got in. I had the worst GPA and everything going against me but I never shed a single tear or asked for sympathy from anyone. I was like a machine and every time I got rejected I was just like "welp that sucks, now what can I improve on for next time." I just kept moving forward, not giving up, that's how winning is done.

Yes I stole that last line from Rocky, go look up that scene.
7 rejections and 2 holds on my application, no interviews so far.
I'm feeling so hopeless and I feel like it's the end of the world.

Reactions: 7 users