I'm so nervous..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maeloryne

Undergrad
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys,
I am only a freshman in undergrad but I'm one of those people that really thinks ahead and plans things out long before they actually happen. I want to go to med school to become a psychiatrist, and i'm looking into md programs moreso than do programs. I get excited when I think about the career and how my life will be in 15-20 years.. But then it sets in that the journey to that career is so long.

I was just hoping to hear some inspiration from you guys and ways you've gotten through it. I know my biggest concern is having no social life through med school/residency, and also missing out on my 20's and all of the travel and fun you're supposed to have. I'll also have to start a family late..

Just a lot of things to consider and I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. Can anyone offer up any advice?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey you guys,
I am only a freshman in undergrad but I'm one of those people that really thinks ahead and plans things out long before they actually happen. I want to go to med school to become a psychiatrist, and i'm looking into md programs moreso than do programs. I get excited when I think about the career and how my life will be in 15-20 years.. But then it sets in that the journey to that career is so long.

I was just hoping to hear some inspiration from you guys and ways you've gotten through it. I know my biggest concern is having no social life through med school/residency, and also missing out on my 20's and all of the travel and fun you're supposed to have. I'll also have to start a family late..

Just a lot of things to consider and I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. Can anyone offer up any advice?

Okay, 1). You can have a great social life throughout undergrad, med school and residency if you manage your time well and try. 2). Sure you might be "missing out" but, as the saying goes, the grass aways looks greener on the other side of the fence. It's not as if your friends who started working after undergrad are constantly going on benders, taking helicopter rides over the grand canyon and living it up in Vegas. More likely they are doing a 9-5, paying bills and maybe catching up with the current season of Walking Dead. 3). Well, this makes more sense. It could be challenging trying to start a family in or soon after med school as it would be a huge commitment. Valid concern, but time will tell you what you really want and when, if you can control the course of events.

lol you're just starting out and I know it can seem overwhelming now, but just give it time. Do your best and focus on yourself and soon enough 18 credits with 3 lab courses will just be another semester with nothing to worry about because you will be used to it. Time will fly by, so consider your 20s and make sure to have some fun with friends and school clubs...I don't want you to think it should be all work and no play!

1. Focus on the present. There are many students that want to go into medicine feshman year. I suggest you do well in your clases, learn about medicine by volunteering and shadowing, get some research experience, and have fun. You will never have these 4 years of your life ever again.
2. Worry about medical school if you are still interested during your junior year. Start thinking of signing up for MCAT during the end of junior year. Make sure you have some clinical exposure before this period so you know that this is where you want to go.
3. Start applications during your senior year. Make sure you have developed strong relationships with faculty by this time period.

So enjoy your time for another year while keeping yourself busy with EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

So chill.

Hey you guys,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Get good grades, do some shadowing, get involved in volunteer organizations, and be sure to set aside time to have fun and get into a hobby or two.

That's it. Done. Enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, first and foremost you have to accept that a career in medicine is one of sacrifice. You will be extremely busy during your 3rd year of medical school, and will draw your fair share of call, like many before you and surely many after you.

If you really love it, and can see yourself immersing yourself in the career and the culture, however, these will not stop you from pursuing the field.

You are only a freshman, take some time to explore a variety of different fields, you have time, before you choose one. There is no rush.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey you guys,

1. You don't know what you want.
You are a college Freshman. You don't know what medicine is. You don't know what a Psychiatrist does. You don't know what other options are out there within healthcare and not. And that is okay! That is perfectly normal. The first step in anything is figuring out who you are and what different careers entail. It is great to have interest in medicine early on, but you need to justify it. Not to admissions committees, but to yourself. Shadow, get clinical experience, not for an application, but so that you can reliably say, I know what I'm getting into and it is worth it.

2. Medical training is long and expensive.
You are dedicating a decade toward becoming a physician. And yes, you will be much busier than your average person. Schools are getting more and more expensive and loan options are likely to get worse in the next couple of years. From a strictly financial perspective, medicine makes absolutely no sense for the majority of the types of people that end up getting into medical school. You are recognizing that already, which is very important.

3. Social life
Your social life is what you make of it. Undergrad, medical school and residency are not all consuming. Even working 80 hours a week (the general upper bound), there are 40+ hours of waking time to do other things. You have less time. You can't veg on the couch and have hobbies and a significant other etc. The people that say otherwise are doing it wrong or don't belong in medical training.

4. Missing out on your 20's.
You are going to miss out on things. It is inevitable. But, this is relatively minimal until you start residency, which would be no different than if you started working in most professions. There is no "fun you're supposed to have" metric. There just isn't. I think @Goro 's comment was about medicine, I would expand it to life in general. You are likely going to be around for 7-9 decades. Your long term happiness is not going to be tied to several years in your 20s. There is more to life than living life up while young.

5. Family.
Being busy comes at a price. But, in no way is medicine exclusive to having a family or even delaying starting a family. Does having a family while going through training make things more difficult, absolutely. Is it possible? Yes. Is being the spouse of a physician hard? Yes. Does it take a certain amount of patience and understanding? Yes. If your priority is family, then it should remain your priority during your training. You need to understand though that this may mean that you need to sacrifice other things in order for that to be possible.

6. Medicine as a career.
Medicine offers things that few professions can match. But, it is NOT the pinnacle of professional achievement. It is NOT for everyone to aspire to. The vast majority of individuals would be miserable going through medical training and being a physician. This is a universal truth, but enjoying what you do in your job takes a lot of pressure off of other areas. Why am I in Vascular Surgery? Because I'm in the middle of Surgical residency and am the happiest person that I know. I can stay here in the hospital for long hours because I love what I do. I can sleep on a chair in the ICU next to that patient that keeps coding because, despite being exhausted the next day, I feel happy about what I did. I got lucky to find something that I am passionate about and enjoy spending my days doing. But, not everyone is like this and certainly not every branch of medicine is like what I do. Do not go into medicine if you can only see yourself happy doing one particular specialty. For starters, some specialties (not Pscyh) are difficult to get into and may not be a practical reality for you. But, more importantly, people's opinions change. Their preferences change. You need to have bailout options both outside and inside (if you go to medical school) medicine.

Reactions: 17 users
Moderators, PLEASE sticky this!!!!
And all you pre-meds, print it in gold and hand it up over your bed.

1. You don't know what you want.
You are a college Freshman. You don't know what medicine is. You don't know what a Psychiatrist does. You don't know what other options are out there within healthcare and not. And that is okay! That is perfectly normal. The first step in anything is figuring out who you are and what different careers entail. It is great to have interest in medicine early on, but you need to justify it. Not to admissions committees, but to yourself. Shadow, get clinical experience, not for an application, but so that you can reliably say, I know what I'm getting into and it is worth it.

2. Medical training is long and expensive.
You are dedicating a decade toward becoming a physician. And yes, you will be much busier than your average person. Schools are getting more and more expensive and loan options are likely to get worse in the next couple of years. From a strictly financial perspective, medicine makes absolutely no sense for the majority of the types of people that end up getting into medical school. You are recognizing that already, which is very important.

3. Social life
Your social life is what you make of it. Undergrad, medical school and residency are not all consuming. Even working 80 hours a week (the general upper bound), there are 40+ hours of waking time to do other things. You have less time. You can't veg on the couch and have hobbies and a significant other etc. The people that say otherwise are doing it wrong or don't belong in medical training.

4. Missing out on your 20's.
You are going to miss out on things. It is inevitable. But, this is relatively minimal until you start residency, which would be no different than if you started working in most professions. There is no "fun you're supposed to have" metric. There just isn't. I think @Goro 's comment was about medicine, I would expand it to life in general. You are likely going to be around for 7-9 decades. Your long term happiness is not going to be tied to several years in your 20s. There is more to life than living life up while young.

5. Family.
Being busy comes at a price. But, in no way is medicine exclusive to having a family or even delaying starting a family. Does having a family while going through training make things more difficult, absolutely. Is it possible? Yes. Is being the spouse of a physician hard? Yes. Does it take a certain amount of patience and understanding? Yes. If your priority is family, then it should remain your priority during your training. You need to understand though that this may mean that you need to sacrifice other things in order for that to be possible.

6. Medicine as a career.
Medicine offers things that few professions can match. But, it is NOT the pinnacle of professional achievement. It is NOT for everyone to aspire to. The vast majority of individuals would be miserable going through medical training and being a physician. This is a universal truth, but enjoying what you do in your job takes a lot of pressure off of other areas. Why am I in Vascular Surgery? Because I'm in the middle of Surgical residency and am the happiest person that I know. I can stay here in the hospital for long hours because I love what I do. I can sleep on a chair in the ICU next to that patient that keeps coding because, despite being exhausted the next day, I feel happy about what I did. I got lucky to find something that I am passionate about and enjoy spending my days doing. But, not everyone is like this and certainly not every branch of medicine is like what I do. Do not go into medicine if you can only see yourself happy doing one particular specialty. For starters, some specialties (not Pscyh) are difficult to get into and may not be a practical reality for you. But, more importantly, people's opinions change. Their preferences change. You need to have bailout options both outside and inside (if you go to medical school) medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Moderators, PLEASE sticky this!!!!
And all you pre-meds, print it in gold and hand it up over your bed.
And if we're going to sticky this thread (which I COMPLETELY agree with), please put the deluded premed "Derm and no other specialty will make me happy in medicine and I can't see myself doing anything else" thread right next to it. Figure I should get something for my near aneurysm.

Last edited:
Hey you guys,

Said every premed ever.

It's a common feeling. Do some shadowing. See if the sacrifice is worth it for you personally.

We're all guilty of being neurotic and planning every minute detail out. Just realize it isn't going to play out the way you exactly plan. Take everything in stride. It's not for everyone.