I'm sorry for not listening to you guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was way too overconfident about the MCAT. Thought I was some kind of whiz kid because I got a 2320 on my SAT.
Well I took my first FL exam (Princeton Review) and got absolutely destroyed. I got a 504, when I'd assumed that getting 515's were a cakewalk. I was mentally exhausted from the 6+ hours of taking the test as well.
I hope that in the 2 months I have left I can improve to a 515. But I don't know. Anyway, I'm sorry for not listening to you guys and underestimating the test.

EDIT (6/21/16): Got a 520 on the real thing lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just so you know, TPR scores are significantly deflated. My first score was close to yours, but my actual MCAT was much higher -- 8 points higher than my highest score with TPR.

Edit: but yeah, it's a monster of a test, definitely don't underestimate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does that really matter? It's better to score lower than expected on your first practice FL rather than the real thing. Now you know what it is and you won't underestimate it anymore.

Just so you know, TPR scores are significantly deflated. My first score was close to yours, but my actual MCAT was much higher -- 8 points higher than my highest score with TPR.

Edit: but yeah, it's a monster of a test, definitely don't underestimate it!
This gives me hope, thanks

Apology not accepted
Ouch

Does that really matter? It's better to score lower than expected on your first practice FL rather than the real thing. Now you know what it is and you won't underestimate it anymore.
Yeah at least I found out now instead of a month from now

I got a 22 on my first practice MCAT. That's the point. Kicks you into gear.

Reactions: 4 users
Low 500s on TPR and Kaplan practice tests are not a reason to be worried. Many people scored like that and then hit 515+ on the real thing. They deflate their numbers a lot.

But yeah, turns out being top few percent among med school hopefuls, who already survived the prereq sciences with strong grades, is a lot tougher than being top few percent among high schoolers. Go figure

If getting a 515 was easy, more than 5% of people would get them.

Reactions: 8 users
OP, take the exam when you're confident that you can get a good score (i.e. 510 and above). No need to rush this.
Laubfrosch_cropped.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Got a 24 on my first practice test. Ended up w/ 39+ on real thing after kicking it into gear for 2 months

Reactions: 1 users
I was consistently scoring low 30s on TPR practice MCATs. The week before the real thing I scored a 17 on my last practice test! I ended up doubling that for the real test. Point is, TPR has some very difficult practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a very large picture of a very determined frog. Damn that gets me hyped.

Reactions: 13 users
The MCAT is a beatable test. Easier than beating the SAT in my opinion, and much easier to beat than Step 1 (from what I've heard).

It's almost like a sport. The more time you spend training, the more you know the moves, the better your endurance/speed gets, etc.

Good for you for owning up. 2 months is plenty of time to improve if you put a lot of work in. Get to it.

Don't worry dude, I got a 504 on the tpr demo test, and I got wrecked on the bio section (123), but ended up with a 516 on the real thing and a 130 on the bio. TPR tests are difficult so relax and don't stress over one practice test.

I got a 502, and then several 498-503s, and ultimately got a 518 on the real thing.

Lol I actually ended up getting a 520. Guess I was just overreacting.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on your amazing score and on everyone in this thread hating you from this moment forward.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol I actually ended up getting a 520. Guess I was just overreacting.
Hey man, congrats on your score. But lets be honest you were freaking out all over the MCAT subforum worrying about your score. In you own words you admitted that you essentially were spamming the threads. In the future a little humility goes a long way. Your flippant attitude shows that you have not learned the important lesson that you can never take anything for granted, and that you never know what the future holds. I truly hope that you succeed in life and that you dont get served a large slice of humble pie! just be cognizant of the areas where you can grow. Best of Luck.

Hey man, congrats on your score. But lets be honest you were freaking out all over the MCAT subforum worrying about your score. In you own words you admitted that you essentially were spamming the threads. In the future a little humility goes a long way. Your flippant attitude shows that you have not learned the important lesson that you can never take anything for granted, and that you never know what the future holds. I truly hope that you succeed in life and that you dont get served a large slice of humble pie! just be cognizant of the areas where you can grow. Best of Luck.
Everything you said is true. I was just joking around on this thread, I thought it would be fun to pop in after a few months with my real score.

Everything you said is true. I was just joking around on this thread, I thought it would be fun to pop in after a few months with my real score.
Fair enough! The tone of your post did not convey that. Anyways I really do mean it when I say best of luck! Apply broadly and you should be okay. Also I would ask a mod to move your post to the WAMC subforum.

Fair enough! The tone of your post did not convey that. Anyways I really do mean it when I say best of luck! Apply broadly and you should be okay. Also I would ask a mod to move your post to the WAMC subforum.
Thanks. I actually posted the thread in both forums so I could get more responses.

lol someone mentioned gaming Step 1

lol the MCAT, how quaint

each test just gets harder from there on out

What did he mean by this?

The MCAT is a beatable test. Easier than beating the SAT in my opinion, and much easier to beat than Step 1 (from what I've heard).

It's almost like a sport. The more time you spend training, the more you know the moves, the better your endurance/speed gets, etc.

My point is once upon a time the MCAT was the biggest bad on the block. I agree it is a beatable test.
There is no "beating" Step 1. Step 1 is one of the most soul-sucking tests around, and it's true the rest of the Steps are much easier by comparison, whatever that means, but it doesn't end there. Boards are really tough but since no one really cares about the score in most cases it's often lower stress than many of the tests that came before, but that doesn't make it easier. It can be high stakes in that depending on the timing of boards, if you failed and didn't have time for a retake it could cost you a job you had lined up for after residency.

Just some perspective that things don't really get easier from an academic standpoint as you go up in your medical career.

Also, *many* people will cross post forums (post the same thing in more than one forum), the rationale being that they'll pick up more replies this way. It's only a natural thought and usually a mistake someone makes when they are new to the forum. I thought I would correct you before you could get in any trouble. When you're new and do it and knock it off after a warning it's totally fine :)

Sorry if I was harsh about it.

My point is once upon a time the MCAT was the biggest bad on the block. I agree it is a beatable test.
There is no "beating" Step 1. Step 1 is one of the most soul-sucking tests around, and it's true the rest of the Steps are much easier by comparison, whatever that means, but it doesn't end there. Boards are really tough but since no one really cares about the score in most cases it's often lower stress than many of the tests that came before, but that doesn't make it easier. It can be high stakes in that depending on the timing of boards, if you failed and didn't have time for a retake it could cost you a job you had lined up for after residency.

Just some perspective that things don't really get easier from an academic standpoint as you go up in your medical career.

Also, *many* people will cross post forums (post the same thing in more than one forum), the rationale being that they'll pick up more replies this way. It's only a natural thought and usually a mistake someone makes when they are new to the forum. I thought I would correct you before you could get in any trouble. When you're new and do it and knock it off after a warning it's totally fine :)

Sorry if I was harsh about it.
I was just memeing lol. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/what-did-he-mean-by-this
Thanks for the explanation though

Well, that depends what you're aiming for. Someone trying to hit max possible percentile on both MCAT and Step will likely find the latter much harder, as the testing population is much tougher to beat. But say you're an Asian in California that just wants to be primary care some day - doing well enough on the MCAT for MD admissions may very well be the biggest academic hurdle they face, since passing med school and step becomes likely at MCAT scores far before the low 30s.