IM vs ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drchocodanish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals: IMG hoping to match US but I have Canadian citizenship: a step I of 249; hoping to get IM or ER. My application is otherwise unremarkable(some associations random stuff really). Could anyone give me their opinion on my shot at either residency. I also ask people who have matched to either one with similar stats on what I should do. Im also realistic in the fact that ER is getting more and more competitive.

Thank you in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys/gals: IMG hoping to match US but I have Canadian citizenship: a step I of 249; hoping to get IM or ER. My application is otherwise unremarkable(some associations random stuff really). Could anyone give me their opinion on my shot at either residency. I also ask people who have matched to either one with similar stats on what I should do. Im also realistic in the fact that ER is getting more and more competitive.

Thank you in advance !
Blunt truth: I had a few friends who are Canadian [as am I] who had higher stats and only got 2 ER IV. [there apps were solid]

Members don't see this ad :)
ER is not a specialty. Neither is "OR" or "clinic".

Blunt truth: I had a few friends who are Canadian [as am I] who had higher stats and only got 2 ER IV. [there apps were solid]

I have no ****ing clue what either of you said or their relation to this thread.

Thank you in advance !

Start here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Without data to confirm this, I suspect your chances of matching IM are higher. I feel like there is much more variability in IM programs than EM programs; there are IM programs that are of similar competitiveness to exceptionally competitive specialties and then there are bottom of the barrel residencies.

EM I feel doesn't have the variabilitty therefore it would be a bit harder.

But I think the real question is what do you really want to do?