Army Image for ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As for applying for residencies through ERAS, should I submit an image in uniform?

2.5x3.5 inches, face centered

I took one image in ACUs (which my preferred program said is fine for interviews). It is a simple image, chest forward, with a clean solid light grey background. Looks a lot like a passport photo in military uniforms. My name tape and ARMY are cropped into the image but thats as far down or wide as it goes.

OR should I take a picture in dress clothes?

Members don't see this ad.

For the military, if they tell you ACUs are ok, then so be it. No one in my field interviewed in ACUs at either their military or their civilian interviews. For the civilian side, I personally wouldn't wear ACUs unless I was applying for a job as a welder. I would definitely suggest civilian clothes. Some people like the military. Some do not. If you want to use your uniform as a weed out tool, go for it. I chose not to gamble in that way, and to instead relied on my scores and background. It'll come out in the interview that you're a military candidate anyway, but my advice would be to buy a suit.

Last edited:
As for applying for residencies through ERAS, should I submit an image in uniform?

2.5x3.5 inches, face centered

I took one image in ACUs (which my preferred program said is fine for interviews). It is a simple image, chest forward, with a clean solid light grey background. Looks a lot like a passport photo in military uniforms. My name tape and ARMY are cropped into the image but thats as far down or wide as it goes.

OR should I take a picture in dress clothes?

So are you HPSP applying for both military and civilian programs?

The ACU is an awful looking uniform and might be the least professional attire imaginable. Do not send any ACU pictures to civilian programs. As the poster above suggested, buy a suit.

For military residencies, you better go out and buy the ASU right away. You are going to look like a complete tool if you wear ACU's. Don't believe what they're telling you if they said that is acceptable. It isn't.

When I was going on civilian interviews as a still active duty flight doc, I was tempted to wear my dress blues. I had a lot of ribbons and "chest candy" that no doubt would have spurred conversation. I chose to wear good looking civilian suits and I am glad that I did. I would have stuck out like sore thumb and looked utterly ridiculous. The people interviewing me would have assumed that I was either Attila the Hun or some guy fishing for a pat on the back and a "thanks for your service."

Dress for the job you want. Civilian=sharp tailored suit. Military = Cleaned, pressed and NCO crosschecked dress uniform.

- ex 61N

Reactions: 1 user
For ERAS, my school took photos of us in suits. I didn't wear my ASU for it. For my interviews, I wore my ASU if required otherwise scrubs/ACUs depending on the attending. For my end of rotation presentation, I wore my ASU and had a photo taken in that which was used at the meeting residents used to rank applicants. So with my n=1, regular suit is fine. Don't do ACU for ERAS photo.