Imaging cardiology...where is it going

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardsorbust91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a very lowly about to be medical student later this fall. I know I need to buckle down, focus on doing well the first several rounds of exams, and do what I can to match into a decent university IM program to have a good shot at matching cardiology. However I do have a lto of free time and was just wondering what the outlook for noninvasive/imaging cards will be. I love the idea of using tech to figure out whats going wrong while still being able to build relationships with patients (ie a nice blend of radiology and cardiology).

I know some stuff like cardiac CT, MRI, PET is not widely used in private practice. Where do you see imaging going over the next couple of years. I realized imaging got hit with heavy reimbursement cuts over the past several years. I also realize that some of the stuff I mentioned above isn’t super popular in private practice but with so many docs deciding to form huge groups or do hospital employment do you think some of the tech might permeate more (ie these big groups/hospitals have a lot more buying power and might want the newest/shiniest tech).

Members don't see this ad.

Just a very lowly about to be medical student later this fall. I know I need to buckle down, focus on doing well the first several rounds of exams, and do what I can to match into a decent university IM program to have a good shot at matching cardiology. However I do have a lto of free time and was just wondering what the outlook for noninvasive/imaging cards will be. I love the idea of using tech to figure out whats going wrong while still being able to build relationships with patients (ie a nice blend of radiology and cardiology).

I know some stuff like cardiac CT, MRI, PET is not widely used in private practice. Where do you see imaging going over the next couple of years. I realized imaging got hit with heavy reimbursement cuts over the past several years. I also realize that some of the stuff I mentioned above isn’t super popular in private practice but with so many docs deciding to form huge groups or do hospital employment do you think some of the tech might permeate more (ie these big groups/hospitals have a lot more buying power and might want the newest/shiniest tech).

study for your premed exams...

The key concept really is "Will this or that test change the management of the condition?" and since the answer is rarely confirmatory then advanced imaging will remain on the fringes until there is data to expand its use and make it indispensable in larger patient population than it is now.