IMG applicant on refugee status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohd.sammour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international medical student and will be graduating around May, 2015 from. I carry a "Travel document for Palestinian refugees" and currently residing/studying in Jordan. I am applying to this year's match after finishing all my steps.

I do have a question regarding the visa issue. Since I will be applying for a J-1 visa which requires a statement of need from your home country, I do not know how to proceed with this problem, as I technically have no country to request this statement from.

Another thing is, during myERAS application, do I choose my citizenship status as Refugee or just as a Foreign National Residing Outside U.S.?

I think I am having some trouble understanding what would be the best situation and how to proceed with my application before I need to deal with this visa issue after the match results are out. Am I in a better or worse situation than a regular IMG during the application process?

Thank you in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is so unique, you'll need to talk to a US visa lawyer. I agree that trying to get a J will be very complicated. You might only be able to train on an H, which will limit your options. Or, perhaps you could get a US Refugee Visa. I know nothing about those, and you'd need to basically already have it to get any program to match you (since no one knows how long they would take to get).

Thank you for your reply. I figured it might be difficult for someone here to give me a direct answer, but it was worth the try. I did think about the Refugee Visa and I guess I will have to see further about that.

Thank you again!

This is just speculation, but I think a refugee visa applies only to people whom the United States has accepted as refugees, and sadly the Palestinians haven't qualified. Likewise in ERAS 'Refugee' means people whom the US has designated as refugees, so you'll probably be a FNROUS.

Do you travel on a PA passport? Again I definitely concur that you need to speak to a US immigration lawyer, but perhaps the PA has authority to act as your state. Were you born in Palestine or in Jordan? If you were born in Jordan, Lebanon or Syria then I think you might have it a lot tougher than if you were born in areas under PA control.

I was actually born in Saudi Arabia. I carry a travel document, but more recently I issued a Palestinian Authority passport but that is for travel purposes only, I am not considered a citizen and I do not have the right to return or visit Palestine.

The other thing is, I can apply as a foreign national, but where do I go from there after I finish my residency? I have no country that I can return to (No permanent residency elsewhere).

I understand that it's pretty complicated, and will definitely get in touch with an immigration lawyer, but I thought getting some ideas from the people here would be good. You guys have been really helpful so far thank you. :)

That's the crappy thing about being stateless. Again it's possible that the PA will be able to act as your 'state' since they granted you a passport (which I actually thought you could only get if you were born in Gaza/West Bank) in terms of documenting need on the visa application. Assuming you want to stay in the US-- plenty of people convert their J1 to something more permanent through various means (like agreeing to work in a medically underserved area in the US, or converting to an H1B).

If you want to live in Saudi again they tend to loooove American-trained doctors.

Yes I think that's what I might have to do. I will figure it out. I just wanted to be safe and start asking from now just in case I run into trouble I will know what to do.
And yes you are technically not supposed to be able to issue a passport from the PA unless you have been in the West Bank/Gaza. But recently, and only for a while, they opened doors for applicants to get the passport but without a national number- just the passport. Which can be used for purposes of travel in "some" countries.

And oh no, I've lived in Saudi Arabia enough for a lifetime. I do not intend to go back there.

Thank you again for your help! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am an international medical student and will be graduating around May, 2015 from. I carry a "Travel document for Palestinian refugees" and currently residing/studying in Jordan. I am applying to this year's match after finishing all my steps.

I do have a question regarding the visa issue. Since I will be applying for a J-1 visa which requires a statement of need from your home country, I do not know how to proceed with this problem, as I technically have no country to request this statement from.

Another thing is, during myERAS application, do I choose my citizenship status as Refugee or just as a Foreign National Residing Outside U.S.?

I think I am having some trouble understanding what would be the best situation and how to proceed with my application before I need to deal with this visa issue after the match results are out. Am I in a better or worse situation than a regular IMG during the application process?

Thank you in advance,

You should communicate with the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program of the ECFMG about being stateless. The EVSP will be able to give you advice on what you can and cannot do. You are not the first person to be stateless.

Reactions: 1 users
I know what your going through, I can help you by asking my friends that went through such a thing especially those from the west bank and I am assuming you are from there, I guess if you were gazan it would be easier in terms of the Egyptian certificate let me contact them and respond to you, btw did you graduate from JUST?

Hi,

Thank you Barzan. I am actually Gazan yes. I am just starting my last year at JUST I will be graduating in May 2015. Again thank you for your help, please let me know if you need any more information.