IMG applying for 2015 match need some answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

webgenius

Hello everyone.

I'm an IMG recently graduated (June).

My Usmle step 1 score is 256
I passed Usmle step 2 CS first attempt.

I'm taking the Usmle step 2 CK in the 3rd of September and my score hopefully will be out in 25 September.

As everyone knows an IMG won't be considered for an interview unless he has the scores of all of his steps.

I have 2 months of USCE in Cardiovascular surgery.

I'm mainly interested in IM and will be applying to IM only.

The ERAS application opens for submission in 15th September, am I late submitting my application 10-17 days later (Depending on step 2 ck score)?

I'm not looking for a fancy program, in fact I'm only applying to the southern states (Due to the weather), but I'm also looking for a decent university program or at least community with fellowship program.

I have no research experience whatsoever. But I don't mind any research fellowship if it was offered to me.

One of my friends promised me an interview in the university he works at so that's my first interview.

Can someone please tell me about the southern programs and which programs are the best fit for my CV (Or give me a link).

Members don't see this ad.

1- not true that IMGs not considered for interviews until they have all scores back, 256 on step 1 is an outstanding score enough to call you for decent interviews.

2- don't apply late for ANY reason, otherwise you will be on a very long waiting list and as you know the limited interview spots fly like hot cakes and you will have to wait for AMGs to cancel interviews.

3- don't limit your application to a geographical area, this is the biggest killer of your chances! You need to apply widely to whatever number of programs you can afford, this is the only way to get enough interviews to match. The weather shouldn't be an issue, if other people are doing it definitely you can do it.

1- not true that IMGs not considered for interviews until they have all scores back, 256 on step 1 is an outstanding score enough to call you for decent interviews.
Many program directors put a straight filter on IMGs without Step 1+2+CS scores back. The reason being that otherwise they may not have their ECFMG certification on time. 256 is an outstanding score, but it won't be outstanding if they can't see it.

Hello everyone.

I'm an IMG recently graduated (June).

My Usmle step 1 score is 256
I passed Usmle step 2 CS first attempt.

I'm taking the Usmle step 2 CK in the 3rd of September and my score hopefully will be out in 25 September.

As everyone knows an IMG won't be considered for an interview unless he has the scores of all of his steps.

I have 2 months of USCE in Cardiovascular surgery.

I'm mainly interested in IM and will be applying to IM only.

The ERAS application opens for submission in 15th September, am I late submitting my application 10-17 days later (Depending on step 2 ck score)?

I'm not looking for a fancy program, in fact I'm only applying to the southern states (Due to the weather), but I'm also looking for a decent university program or at least community with fellowship program.

I have no research experience whatsoever. But I don't mind any research fellowship if it was offered to me.

One of my friends promised me an interview in the university he works at so that's my first interview.

Can someone please tell me about the southern programs and which programs are the best fit for my CV (Or give me a link).

"Or at least community with a fellowship program" -- I hope you aren't looking for built in fellowships at the same place. Apply to community programs. That's where many IMGs who land categorical spots end up, honestly. If you land something categorical, you are ahead of most if your peers. From there you can see what fellowship options you can apply to in a Couple of years. But don't limit applications to residency based on whether the same place also offers fellowship. That's not how things work and you'll limit out most of the options that take IMG. Beggars can't be choosers nd as an IMG you kind of are one of the beggars in this process.

"But I don't mind any research fellowship if it is offered to me" -- no idea what this means or what job you are describing. Places aren't going to seek you out. You'd have to apply and sell yourself, which would be hard to do for a research position with no research experience. I think you might be being unrealistic in thinking how this plays out. No place is going to say -- we don't have a residency slot for you, but here, take this "research fellowship".

Reactions: 1 users
"Or at least community with a fellowship program" -- I hope you aren't looking for built in fellowships at the same place. Apply to community programs. That's where many IMGs who land categorical spots end up, honestly. If you land something categorical, you are ahead of most if your peers. From there you can see what fellowship options you can apply to in a Couple of years. But don't limit applications to residency based on whether the same place also offers fellowship. That's not how things work and you'll limit out most of the options that take IMG. Beggars can't be choosers nd as an IMG you kind of are one of the beggars in this process.

"But I don't mind any research fellowship if it is offered to me" -- no idea what this means or what job you are describing. Places aren't going to seek you out. You'd have to apply and sell yourself, which would be hard to do for a research position with no research experience. I think you might be being unrealistic in thinking how this plays out. No place is going to say -- we don't have a residency slot for you, but here, take this "research fellowship".

Thanks for the fellowship at the same place advice. I will actually take it.

Of course I know how the research process works ... I have no idea why I wrote that this way lol I mean I don't mind a research position now or after residency if it was offered to me after I apply and sell myself to the position.
I'm interested in Hem/onc so eventually I'll end up doing a lot of research. Being in a community program would make it hard to do research, but of course I can do research after residency.

So do you think doing an IM residency in a simple community program and then doing two years of hem/onc research equals doing an IM residency in a university based program in term of chances of landing a fellowship?

I'm not in a hurry, I'm still young and can afford to do a couple of years of research after residency in order to improve my CV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many program directors put a straight filter on IMGs without Step 1+2+CS scores back. The reason being that otherwise they may not have their ECFMG certification on time. 256 is an outstanding score, but it won't be outstanding if they can't see it.
I agree with you.

2- don't apply late for ANY reason, otherwise you will be on a very long waiting list and as you know the limited interview spots fly like hot cakes and you will have to wait for AMGs to cancel interviews.

3- don't limit your application to a geographical area, this is the biggest killer of your chances! You need to apply widely to whatever number of programs you can afford, this is the only way to get enough interviews to match. The weather shouldn't be an issue, if other people are doing it definitely you can do it.

Thank you for your reply.
Is applying in 25th of September (Or in worst case scenario in first of October) considered that late?
Don't most programs start reviewing the applications after September?

Southern states already have so much programs, isn't 50 well-chosen applications to southern programs enough? I really can't live in a cold place, I have seasonal affect disorder and I need my sun on a daily basis lol

Can someone please comment on the effect of having a surgical USCE on applying to an IM program?

So do you think doing an IM residency in a simple community program and then doing two years of hem/onc research equals doing an IM residency in a university based program in term of chances of landing a fellowship?...

Is it equal? Probably not. Might it be necessary for an IMG to get a residency first and see where you can go from there, rather than just shoot for the stars? Absolutely.

As an IMG, I don't think you appreciate how many of the doors won't be open to you. You kind of have to take what you can get and make it work, rather than hold out for an unrealistic option.

Last edited:
Is it equal? Probably not. Might it be necessary for an IMG to get a residency first and see where you can go from there, rather than just shoot for the stars? Absolutely.

As an IMG, I don't think you appreciate how many of the doors won't be open to you. You kind of have to take what you can get and make it work, rather than hold out for an unrealistic option.
Dude what's your problem?
Is it wrong to plan for my future or to commit the crime of thinking about it?
Since when a university based program or anything higher than a rural community program in no where is an unrealistic option for an IMG?

More than half of my friends are in university based programs!!

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please comment on the effect of having a surgical USCE on applying to an IM program?
PDs do understand the limited opportunities IMGs have when it come to USCE. All IMGs will answer " this what was available" and it do the trick. Now regarding delaying the applications to October, last year we saw invites coming in as early as last week of September. When your application gets an update like a new score result you will have another review and hence double the chance. The always advice is apply on the first day.

PDs do understand the limited opportunities IMGs have when it come to USCE. All IMGs will answer " this what was available" and it do the trick. Now regarding delaying the applications to October, last year we saw invites coming in as early as last week of September. When your application gets an update like a new score result you will have another review and hence double the chance. The always advice is apply on the first day.
Thanks for the reply again, very helpful :)
I will most probably apply in 24th of September :)

Dude what's your problem?
Is it wrong to plan for my future or to commit the crime of thinking about it?
Since when a university based program or anything higher than a rural community program in no where is an unrealistic option for an IMG?

More than half of my friends are in university based programs!!

You asked me a follow-up question, not the other way round. You don't have to like the answer/my reasoning, but I think " what's your problem" is a pretty bizarre response when you ask someone for their analysis (rather than it being posted non solicited). If you don't think IMGs have a harder road, I'm not sure SDN is going to be much use to you. The short answer is that an IMG with a 256 still might have to go the community hospital route. There will still be doors you might go through after that, but they might not be as extensive. Doesn't matter where 'half your friends" are. It gets harder every year and the path others have taken may not still even be open to you.

I'm not sure this is what the prior poster was suggesting...

10-17 days after 15/9 = 25/9 - 1/10 depending on the day my step 2 score gets out

10-17 days after 15/9 = 25/9 - 1/10 depending on the day my step 2 score gets out

You can submit on Sept 15th and update your USMLE transcript when you get your Step 2 score back.

Unless you are going to change where you apply based on that score.

You can submit on Sept 15th and update your USMLE transcript when you get your Step 2 score back.

Unless you are going to change where you apply based on that score.
I'm not submitting in the 15th of Sep. I'm submitting the moment my step 2 score is out

The question is why?
Because some of my friends advised me to
They said your application would get filtered if it didn't have all the steps 1 , ck & cs scores!
I'm taking the exam on the 3rd of September, most probably my score will be out in 3 weeks in 25th of September or in 4 weeks in the first of October.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm still new to this whole thing and I'm currently busy studying for step ck so I'm not following a lot of threads about the match yet, so can you please explain more to me :)

Because some of my friends advised me to
They said your application would get filtered if it didn't have all the steps 1 , ck & cs scores!
I'm taking the exam on the 3rd of September, most probably my score will be out in 3 weeks in 25th of September or in 4 weeks in the first of October.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm still new to this whole thing and I'm currently busy studying for step ck so I'm not following a lot of threads about the match yet, so can you please explain more to me :)
Filtered doesn't mean rejected. It means filtered. If you don't fulfill the screen requirements, programs won't even see your app. When you do fulfill the requirements, they will see it. The flaw in your logic is that, you have no idea what each individual program will screen on. Sure, all steps completed for IMGs is a common screen, but it's not universal. Your app can't make it through the filters if it isn't available. Just apply and upload your Step 2 score ASAP. Programs that reject you prior to that wouldn't have offered you an interview anyway. Stop trying to overthink it.

Reactions: 1 users
Filtered doesn't mean rejected. It means filtered. If you don't fulfill the screen requirements, programs won't even see your app. When you do fulfill the requirements, they will see it. The flaw in your logic is that, you have no idea what each individual program will screen on. Sure, all steps completed for IMGs is a common screen, but it's not universal. Your app can't make it through the filters if it isn't available. Just apply and upload your Step 2 score ASAP. Programs that reject you prior to that wouldn't have offered you an interview anyway. Stop trying to overthink it.

Ok I think I get it now, so apply in 15th anyway.

If I'm filtered due to step 2 it won't matter if I applied in 15th or 25th since the program won't see my application until 25th anyway, right?.
If I'm filtered due to other reasons then it won't matter the date also.
And if I'm not filtered at all then I'm not missing the chance of getting an early interview.

Thanks man, highly appreciated.