IMG friendly programs in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranitidine4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any IMG friendly programs in California in general? Or has anyone heard any success stories for someone who is IMG in this area? I ultimately need to be in the area due to my children.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if you mean are there any non-competitive programs - I think you'll find it's getting more difficult each year but the less desirable ones will be programs like usc (though I heard they are less keen after they took someone who couldn't speak english a few years ago), UCLA-SFV, loma linda, fresno, kaweah delta and kern. UCI still manages to get some decent people desperate to live in socal despite being an unimpressive program. unfortunately california is by far and away the most difficult state for IMGs to match. part of that is due to its desirability, and part of that is the stringent requirements of the medical board that basically make it very difficult for IMGs to even apply. out of those programs, Kern would probably be the most desperate. also are you on a visa, or do you have PR or citizenship?

Actually I would say the most IMG friendly program in california is UCSD. Here IMG doesn't mean "desperate enough to take bottom of the barrel people" but recognizing they can get a good deal by taking very good IMGs. you would have to be an impressive IMG to match there but they are definitely more welcoming than any of the other major california programs

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response. I am a US citizen who completed medical school out of the country.

Following this Thread.

Do the above programs offer opportunities for clinical experience(such as observerships or externships) for Foreign trained IMGs?