IMG- H/O interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triguy358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm a US citizen MSIII IMG (big four carib school) interested in Heme Onc. I have always been interested in both H&O, in no particular order. I wanted to ask the board: what are the options for someone like me looking to go the H/O route in terms of residency--> H/O fellowship?

Step 1: 243
Step2/3: Take in July

Basic sciences: Almost all A's, 2 B's

Clinicals A's (=high pass), no honors yet, IM not taken yet. Preceptors consistently tell me I'm among the best students they've had, however true that may or may not be.

Research: 3 publications pending. May not be published given PI is sitting on them
Volunteering: local high school mentorship, various things around area for honor society
Other: Olympic trials athlete in college

My goal is a university program in the west or mountain area. I like New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, but most importantly California.

If I can't do Uni programs there then I'd settle for other programs in those same locations. My ultimate goal is to end up in Colorado where my family is.

Which programs could I match into with good H/O trajectories?
Chances?
Advice?
Much appreciated!! thanks friends.

Members don't see this ad.

You're on the right track. I am an IMG, I matched in the program of my choice which is in the middle level of competitivity (is that even a word?). My stats are substantially inferior to yours. You will get interviews at good places.

But apply broadly. I'm sorry to say that we as IMGs, even the great ones among us (which you appear to be), are at a serious disadvantage. I applied to almost 300 programs and got 6 interviews. Your credentials will make you have better success than me. But you will still need to apply broadly and just see where you get interviews.

I am wishing you all the best of luck and success! :-D