IMG hoping for plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meandmeandme

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone! I'm an IMG and I did my medical school in Macedonia. Now I will apply this year for plastic surgery and hope to get something at Hopkins, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, BWH, UPENN or other big academic institution that the world knows about. I'm positive these will take me, and I wonder of your thoughts. Should I start contacting the program directors now?

My scores are:

Step 1 - 240
Step 2 ck - 212
Step 2 cs pass
Step 3 pass
Lots of research (almost as much as professor)
Fluent in 10 languages!
Macedonian resident all my life, and frequent traveler so I know much about the world.

Thankful on how to proceed as I am an IMG with not much insight :)

Members don't see this ad.

HI everyone! I'm an IMG and I did my medical school in Macedonia. Now I will apply this year for plastic surgery and hope to get something at Hopkins, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, BWH, UPENN or other big academic institution that the world knows about. I'm positive these will take me, and I wonder of your thoughts. Should I start contacting the program directors now?

My scores are:

Step 1 - 240
Step 2 ck - 212
Step 2 cs pass
Step 3 pass
Fluent in 10 languages!
Macedonian resident all my life, and frequent traveler so I know much about the world.

you are not realistic in your goals...you MAY, be able to get a prelim GS spot to prove yourself to get a categorical GS spot to then get a plastics residency if you are an outstanding resident, but i wouldn't bet good money on it...your Step scores aren't really competitive and you had a significant drop from 1 to 2 and what was the score for 3? i suspect it was lower than CK.

and the programs that you listed really aren't open to FMGs who aren't already outstanding on their own.

you are not realistic in your goals...you MAY, be able to get a prelim GS spot to prove yourself to get a categorical GS spot to then get a plastics residency if you are an outstanding resident, but i wouldn't bet good money on it...your Step scores aren't really competitive and you had a significant drop from 1 to 2 and what was the score for 3? i suspect it was lower than CK.

and the programs that you listed really aren't open to FMGs who aren't already outstanding on their own.

My step 3 score was 272! I think this is realistic and as long as I believe so it's going to work. My professors at home say I am superstar Hopkins will take me.

My step 3 score was 272! I think this is realistic and as long as I believe so it's going to work. My professors at home say I am superstar Hopkins will take me.
Does step 3 score even matter? I thought it was pass/fail.

Step 3 is completely meaningless. Your step 1 isn't fantastic for plastics, your step 2 is completely horrible. Even as a US grad you would stand no chance, but as an IMG? Hell will freeze over before you match plastics.

Actually, after rereading your post, I can't believe this is real lol- "positive they will take me" in reference to world renowned residencies? With a Step 2 that bad? From a university that isn't in the top of the international standings? This just can't be serious.

I mean, if you were from Cambridge and had those stats with excellent research and pubs, you'd stand a snowball's chance in hell. But from Macedonia without world class research? No chance in hell of even the most backwoods integrated plastics program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Actually, after rereading your post, I can't believe this is real lol- "positive they will take me" in reference to world renowned residencies? With a Step 2 that bad? From a university that isn't in the top of the international standings? This just can't be serious.

I mean, if you were from Cambridge and had those stats with excellent research and pubs, you'd stand a snowball's chance in hell. But from Macedonia without work class research? No chance in hell of even the most backwoods integrated plastics program.
OMG this is real! I just want to know.

I mean, if you were from Cambridge and had those stats with excellent research and pubs, you'd stand a snowball's chance in hell. But from Macedonia without work class research? No chance in hell of even the most backwoods integrated plastics program.
What is work class research? I have research

Your chances are very low.

Looking at the NRMP results for last year (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2015_final.pdf) you'll see that the grand total of non-US IMG's matching into plastics last year was 3. The year before was 9, and all years before that was less than 2.

Looking at Charting Outcomes (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf) which is based on 2014 data, you can see how your stats line up with others who have matched. Your Step 2 score of 212 is well below the average, although one IMG with a score 211-220 matched. The average number of publications was 25.

So, bottom line, the chance of getting a spot is very small. As others have noted, coming from a school that few have heard of will be a big negative. Your chances of getting a spot at a "top program" are very small, essentially zero. The chance of getting a spot anywhere is very, very small but not zero. Perhaps you'll be one of the few success stories.

Reactions: 4 users
OMG this is real! I just want to know.
so let's humor you in thinking you are real....your advisors are misleading you...for an FMG...a visa requiring FMG (red flags both) the chances of getting a residency in the US is difficult at best. Those that are successful need to have scores better than USMD students...your 212 on CS will be a red flag, even the 24o on Step I is not fantastic but acceptable...the DROP from 240 to 212 is yet another red flag and as stated Step 3 isn't that big a deal since most students applying don't have it since its not required...PDs will be happy its done since it gives sone reassurance that you can progress through residency at place that require step 3 to progress.

integrated plastics is VERY VERY competitive for AMGs and I would imagine that if you look at the match rates for integrated plastics, there are very few I/FMGs and those that do match have gone above and beyond in getting that match (research years, publications in major journals, etc). Now, yes you can get into plastics from GS...but GS is fairly competitive and for I/FMGs it is more competitive...the 212 frankly is not competitive for an I/FMG to get a cat GS spot (never mind the visa and FMG red flags), so your best shot will be to get a prelim GS spot at a place that has a track record of converting FMGs to cat GS spots, then maybe you could then get a plastics residency based on your achievements (and ABSITE scores and big support from your attendings)...even then i suspect the match rate for I/FMGs into plastics is still small...but better than integrated plastics.

so realize that you are not exactly a competitive applicant...you are in need of a visa :flame:, you are an FMG:flame: ,you have no USCE :flame:, you have Step I and IICK scores that are concerning :flame::flame:

You are looking at not only a fairly competitive specialty, but have listed some of the top programs in the country....programs that have their pick of the cream of the crop from US grads...yes, you may see FMGs at these programs, but they are for the most part graduates of programs that are equal in prestige in their respective countries and are well established and m/l leaders in their fields...which i doubt is you, otherwise you really wouldn't be here asking the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Your chances are very low.

Looking at the NRMP results for last year (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2015_final.pdf) you'll see that the grand total of non-US IMG's matching into plastics last year was 3. The year before was 9, and all years before that was less than 2.

Looking at Charting Outcomes (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf) which is based on 2014 data, you can see how your stats line up with others who have matched. Your Step 2 score of 212 is well below the average, although one IMG with a score 211-220 matched. The average number of publications was 25.

So, bottom line, the chance of getting a spot is very small. As others have noted, coming from a school that few have heard of will be a big negative. Your chances of getting a spot at a "top program" are very small, essentially zero. The chance of getting a spot anywhere is very, very small but not zero. Perhaps you'll be one of the few success stories.
Thank you for a great answer. Seriously you're the best. I have over 100 publications and will submit my application and keep my fingers crossed.

lol, alright, you officially crossed any conceivable line of believability. Bye Felicia.
This is so strange. I'm a surgeon in Macedonia, and I've done lots of research. That's the truth.

Lamest troll post ever. First post is not even remotely credible. I've said it before -- if you can not get a couple of hundred posts under your belt before lowering the boom, or having someone call you out as a troll, you stink at trolling and don't really understand the craft. Shooting your $&@& on the very first post is very premature/immature.

Reactions: 4 users
So this how some people try to relieve the stress of waiting for Match Day...

This is so strange. I'm a surgeon in Macedonia, and I've done lots of research. That's the truth.
so? you think this makes you different from the thousands of FMGs that decide somewhere along the line to decamp from their country and come over to the US? and to get integrated plastics you ARE going to have to be all that and a bag of chips....

Reactions: 1 user

My scores are:

Step 1 - 240
Step 2 ck - 212
Step 2 cs pass
Step 3 pass
Fluent in 10 languages!

You have a surprising amount of insight into how little insight you have.

Reactions: 1 users
what a hilarous exchange...its amazing what people will say behind a computer screen in the security of their basement.
This emoticon ":poke:" is hilarious