IMG Interested in Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tecoboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can give me a heads-up on my chances of getting into a Neurosurgery or ENT residency.

My info: US citizen, student at school in Mexico
Will be going through 5th Pathway next year
USMLE Step 1 Score in mid 230 range
Aiming for 240+ on Step 2
Father-in-law is a neurosurgeon
Have decent LofRecs from surgery & from father-in-law

Does anyone have any encouragement to offer? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Considering that I am an IMG/5th Pathway student, I realize that the cards are stacked against me, but I intend to apply anyway since I have nothing to lose and the world to gain.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a guy from Ross who matched into Neurosurg in Arkansas.

You have nice numbers plus have the nepotism card working for you so you should certainly apply.

I know those programs like candidates that have research and/or advanced degrees since they are all into being real scientists.

Your stats put you right in there. A few of my classmates are going for neurosurgery. I dunno what their Step I scores are for 2 of them, but one of the guys told me that a 230 is an approximate cutoff for Step I. So you're ok there.

The one thing that I recommend is for you ingratiate yourself with as well-known a neurosurgeon as you can. From what my classmates say, neurosurg is such a small field that getting a spot depends HEAVILY on your recs, and which well-known neurosurg chairman will pick up the phone for you and dial his buddy at program X and recommend you.

I think that being a FMG won't hurt too much with your stats. Hopefully you have some research background because the other poster is right that neurosurg is a HEAVILY academic field that values publications and advanced degrees highly.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I don't intend to highjack the thread but I myself am interested in applying for neurosurgery residency in the US. I have just started my final year at med school in England and throughout my course, I have performed excellently with regards to exams. I recently completed a neurosurgery elective at Queen Square in London (The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery) and I am planning on doing a five week neurosurgical elective with the chief at the Toronto Western Hospital (a friend of my father, who himself is a neurosurgeon in Canada) at University of Toronto in March next year. I have not taken the USMLE and I am a UK citizen.

I am looking for advice on how best to approach an application for neurosurgical residency in the US, and whether I have a chance atall. Any advice welcome.

Hi,

Neurosurgery is an early match which means that it is already pretty late in the process. Since you haven't taken Step I yet, or any of the FMG certification exams, have not done any rotations in the U.S., then you are going to have to apply next year.

I recommend posting these questions in the FMG forum because there are probably some FMGs in there who really know the system and could give you better advice as far as how to prepare for the match.

I think that most people will agree that if your academic record is good enough, you have significant research in the field, and you have enough CONNECTIONS, then you have just as good a chance at matching as the next applicant.

Good luck!

Coeliac Plexus,

Thanks for the prompt response.

To what extent will nontrads face age discrimination -- at what point does age become a liability and if so how much of one?

Hi,

I don't intend to highjack the thread but I myself am interested in applying for neurosurgery residency in the US. I have just started my final year at med school in England and throughout my course, I have performed excellently with regards to exams. I recently completed a neurosurgery elective at Queen Square in London (The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery) and I am planning on doing a five week neurosurgical elective with the chief at the Toronto Western Hospital (a friend of my father, who himself is a neurosurgeon in Canada) at University of Toronto in March next year. I have not taken the USMLE and I am a UK citizen.

I am looking for advice on how best to approach an application for neurosurgical residency in the US, and whether I have a chance atall. Any advice welcome.
good hospital. Are you interested in working in Toronto at all? The letter of recommendation will look good, but won't be as good as a US elective if the US is where you want to go.

good hospital. Are you interested in working in Toronto at all? The letter of recommendation will look good, but won't be as good as a US elective if the US is where you want to go.

mFvlfJu.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.