IMG INTO Interventional Radiology FELLOWSHIP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOKER007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I m looking for IMGs who successfully got into fellowship programs of IR.
What all is needed in CV to get into fellowship in IR.

I M currently doing residency training in radio diagnosis in my home country. Need guidance from seniors & other path forgers in this field.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps my questions are inappropriate for the thread but I really have no other choices rather than post them here. This stuff is too small to make a new discussion topic.
Recently, I have heard a statement that many US medical schools and hospitals intend not to accept foreign applicants for residency programs even though they have high usmle results. It has been told by some US physicians and I am very worried about what they said.
Could anyone confirm it is true? I have finished step 1 and will take step 2 ck at the end of the year. In addition, I genuinely want to ask what an IMG should do for his career after they pass usmle but fail to match residency programs. Any ideas will be appreciated....

Perhaps my questions are inappropriate for the thread but I really have no other choices rather than post them here. This stuff is too small to make a new discussion topic.
Recently, I have heard a statement that many US medical schools and hospitals intend not to accept foreign applicants for residency programs even though they have high usmle results. It has been told by some US physicians and I am very worried about what they said.
Could anyone confirm it is true? I have finished step 1 and will take step 2 ck at the end of the year. In addition, I genuinely want to ask what an IMG should do for his career after they pass usmle but fail to match residency programs. Any ideas will be appreciated....
The outlook if you're trying to match this year isn't much different than last year. About 40% of IMGs matched last year, so there's a 6 in 10 chance you won't. If you don't match you can try to scramble into one of the many remaining prelim (PGY-1 only) spots and hope that you can use the experience to match the following year. If you're looking for advice on matching as an IMG, SDN probably isn't the best place to come. Try valuemd, their whole forum is based around IMGs and has a much more experienced user base in that regard. Good luck.

The outlook if you're trying to match this year isn't much different than last year. About 40% of IMGs matched last year, so there's a 6 in 10 chance you won't. If you don't match you can try to scramble into one of the many remaining prelim (PGY-1 only) spots and hope that you can use the experience to match the following year. If you're looking for advice on matching as an IMG, SDN probably isn't the best place to come. Try valuemd, their whole forum is based around IMGs and has a much more experienced user base in that regard. Good luck.
Very useful advice, Mad Jack- thank you so much.
The information I heard from some US physicians has really got me down but now, I am recovering with what you said. Several friends of mine have passed step 1 and step 2 but they all failed to match. Then one engaged in prelim programs, waiting for another chance whereas the rest used their usmle results to apply for residency spots in other nations (Can, Nz, Aus). What do you think will have a better outcome? And after completing residency in these countries , I wonder whether there are opportunities to return and practice medicine in the US.....

Very useful advice, Mad Jack- thank you so much.
The information I heard from some US physicians has really got me down but now, I am recovering with what you said. Several friends of mine have passed step 1 and step 2 but they all failed to match. Then one engaged in prelim programs, waiting for another chance whereas the rest used their usmle results to apply for residency spots in other nations (Can, Nz, Aus). What do you think will have a better outcome? And after completing residency in these countries , I wonder whether there are opportunities to return and practice medicine in the US.....
Your chances will be low overall, there's no way around that. Matching in another country really won't help you get into the US in the long run, and your chances at radiology will be very slim no matter what. Getting into a prelim program won't guarantee you a shout at anything, but it might slightly improve your app for a second cycle. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user