IMG Qs re psychiatry in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imgyg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm an IMG who is considering working in the US. Provided I pass all my USMLE's, what are my prospects like for a job in psychiatry? Can I just get a residency job (this is the first job US docs work right?) no problem and if so what salary would I roughly make?

Members don't see this ad.

Another IMG here, but I'll share my thoughts based on what I've read. My understanding is that you'll have good job prospects. Get good scores, get some American LORs, and demonstrate that you're somebody that people would like to work with, and you're likely to match. Make sure that psychiatry is right for you. It may be tempting to choose psych because it looks like an easier residency to obtain, but you'll hate yourself for doing it for the wrong reasons and even worse, you'll be a bad doctor for your patients. Hehe, the salary question is always tricky. It looks like the average is around $200-220k.

How does one get LORs? Through electives? I'm working at the moment so not a student that can do summer electives. I take it the 200k salary is for an attending with 5 or so years of experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you get LOR through electives. I'm not the best person to ask about salary, and if you do ask on this forum, then you're going to get so many different answers that it'll just confuse you! It seems like $200-220k is the starting range, and I think most psychiatrists max out at $250k. So great money compared to the general public, but on the lower end for the medicine bubble.

But that salary is for an attending, not for someone straight out of med school?

straight out of med school is about 45 to 55k same as any other resident.

But that salary is for an attending, not for someone straight out of med school?

You may benefit from buying the USMLE First Aid for Step 1 and reading the section on IMG's - there is so much to know! This forum can certainly help answer many questions but it would be more efficient for you to read something like that first. It gives a good overview of the process.

Something that may be helpful to know that is often not obvious to IMG's is that by contrast to programs in some countries (well in my home country at least) getting into a good residency may require more than passing boards. Things like research experience/publications can be quite important for IMG's hoping to match into good programs. It may be that with average board scores your prospects are good to find a residency spot somewhere but if you have hopes of being in a nice area and working in a good system you may have to do a bit more than that.

I'm a U.S. citizen IMG. What everybody said above is absolutely correct.
As an IMG your #1 goal is to crush the USMLE, especially step 1. No excuses.
If you do that publications aren't necessary. USMLE >publications, though publications don't hurt. Your USMLE must be higher than most U.S. grads in order for you to be competitive with U.S. grads. Some programs will not interview you simply for being an IMG. I can tell you who those are in private if you like, I don't want to start any drama here. Some "top 10" programs don't care so long as your application is very good. I ranked a few in the Match, got my first choice, that's how I know.
If English is not your first language, make sure you are fluent. Not just passible, but fluent in English. That helps a great deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, great and helpful responses