IMG Research elective in Home Country vs U.S Observership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verok1943

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an IMG in the Caribbean (not at a U.S affiliated university) currently in my 4th year of 5. I have 2 elective periods each lasting 4 weeks (one this year and another next year). I will not be completing the USMLE until AFTER Elective 1. Should I:

Option 1) Use Elective 1 to partake in a 4 week research project (in pathology) in my HOME institution (which may or may not lead to publication in local/regional journal). And then use Elective 2 to partake in 4 weeks of U.S Clinicals.

OR

Option 2) Use Elective 1 to partake in a 4 week observership in U.S. And use Elective 2 to partake in 4 weeks of U.S Clinicals

In an ideal situation, I would love to use BOTH elective 1 & 2 to get U.S Clinicals. However, majority of the universities with Visitation programs for IMGs require either Step 1 Score, or being in the final year of medical school, neither of which I qualify for at the moment. So my question is, which if the above options would give me the best prospects for matching in the future? (Step scores aside of course). I will most likely apply for Internal Medicine, and I'm interested in attending residency at an academic institution, though I will most likely move in to private practice once I complete residency.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you may have.
Many Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm an IMG in the Caribbean (not at a U.S affiliated university) currently in my 4th year of 5. I have 2 elective periods each lasting 4 weeks (one this year and another next year). I will not be completing the USMLE until AFTER Elective 1. Should I:

Option 1) Use Elective 1 to partake in a 4 week research project (in pathology) in my HOME institution (which may or may not lead to publication in local/regional journal). And then use Elective 2 to partake in 4 weeks of U.S Clinicals.

OR

Option 2) Use Elective 1 to partake in a 4 week observership in U.S. And use Elective 2 to partake in 4 weeks of U.S Clinicals

In an ideal situation, I would love to use BOTH elective 1 & 2 to get U.S Clinicals. However, majority of the universities with Visitation programs for IMGs require either Step 1 Score, or being in the final year of medical school, neither of which I qualify for at the moment. So my question is, which if the above options would give me the best prospects for matching in the future? (Step scores aside of course). I will most likely apply for Internal Medicine, and I'm interested in attending residency at an academic institution, though I will most likely move in to private practice once I complete residency.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you may have.
Many Thanks

Anyone ??