Immersion programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to go abroad to a Spanish speaking country. Can anyone recommend a good immersion program that offers language classes, has people our age, is reasonably priced, offers some volunteer opportunities, and is fun- of course?

The program does not have to be related to healthcare/medicine (although it would be nice), as I am probably not qualified to take part in medical spanish prog's (b/c I'm only starting med school this fall).

Also, any recommendations as to which country/city to do the program in are welcomed. I've looked into a few (Amerispan, Spanish Abroad), but I feel overwhelmed by all of the info/programs offered- please help. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this website with AMSA. There are various immersion programs that you can find with a variety of languages you can learn. Good luck with the hunt.

http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/ihopps.cfm

I don't know if you would even be interested in this but I will put it out there.

I spent this past summer at Middlebury College's Language School. I'd have to say that this is the best program in the country for learning a lot of language in a little bit of time.

1. The day you arrive, you sign a language pledge. You live the language. Classes, meals, yoga, hiking, sports, swimming, parties, dances....everything is in your language.

2. They have levels 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5 for Masters and Ph.D. students. You are surrounded by students who share your passion, foriegn language.

3. The professors live in the same buildings. They are readily available to discuss anything (including academics). They are awesome because this is the opportunity to teach their language, in their language. If you study spanish, they come from todo el mundo hispanohablante: Cuba, Spain, U.S., Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Puerto Rico, .....

4. Every day is full of co-curricular activities, giving you the opportunity to flex your language learning in situations where you would normally revert to english.

5. There is AWESOME financial aid, as Middlebury has more money per capita than almost any other school in the nation (world?).

6. They have one of the best performing arts and music centers around, and you can find an exhaustive collection of music in your language to burn and enhance your learning.

7. The facilities are mind boggeling.

8. You can study one of the following: Portuguesse, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, or Russian. The first 6 language schools are 5 weeks, and final 4 are 9 week programs. If you adhere to the language program and digest the immense workload, have fun, and take the program seriously, you stand to learn a year worth of language.

The best part about the program is that it forces you to formulate thought in the language, and then reinforces this by courses based on conversation, writing, culture, and grammar. You cannot beat this program. I believe that it is better than going abroad. You learn more. Actually, it is a good preparation for going abroad, or for learning to think and function in a foriegn language. Spanish has become second nature to me, and I have Middlebury College's Spanish Language School to thank.

check them out

www.middlebury.edu/ls

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering in a foreign country can be difficult if you have no prior knowledge of the language. If that's the case with you, then you might be better off just trying to shadow a doctor in that country, if possible.

I studied at Tandem Escuela, in Madrid. (www.tandem-madrid.com) It's a small school, but it's in a really nice neighborhood, and the people are really nice. If you are really interested in health-care related volunteer experience, it is possible to ask for that, and they'll see what they can do to accomodate you. (The internships director when I was there, Almendra Staffa-Healey, was super flexible, and really nice. She also speaks English fluently.) PM me if it sounds good to you.

Good luck!

cpb80 said:
I'd really like to go abroad to a Spanish speaking country. Can anyone recommend a good immersion program that offers language classes, has people our age, is reasonably priced, offers some volunteer opportunities, and is fun- of course?

The program does not have to be related to healthcare/medicine (although it would be nice), as I am probably not qualified to take part in medical spanish prog's (b/c I'm only starting med school this fall).

Also, any recommendations as to which country/city to do the program in are welcomed. I've looked into a few (Amerispan, Spanish Abroad), but I feel overwhelmed by all of the info/programs offered- please help. Many thanks!

Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. Guess I have some research to do! Take care and all the best.

cpb80 said:

Check out the Salud program through AmeriSpan (http://www.amerispan.com/salud_medical_spanish_programs/). I went on the trip to Guatemala last summer and it was a good experience. I had language classes and some sort of medical clinic or hospital visit every day. Some of it was hands on, other parts were just observational.

Middlebury College's Language School is the best if you want to stay in the U.S. Otherwise, go find a hispanic family and offer to pay them some rent if they'll let you stay with them over the summer and learn some Spanish. You may get punched or you might find some nice people out there :) It would be an interesting story to tell anyway! Antigua, Guatemala has some excellent opportunities for language immersion. Look it up on the web!

skihawk2 said:
Check out the Salud program through AmeriSpan (http://www.amerispan.com/salud_medical_spanish_programs/). I went on the trip to Guatemala last summer and it was a good experience. I had language classes and some sort of medical clinic or hospital visit every day. Some of it was hands on, other parts were just observational.

I'm planning on doing the Guatemala trip to Antigua this summer. Do you have any advice as to things I should take that weren't on the list or places to go during leisure time that are cool? I'm really excited about learning some more Spanish.

katrinadams9 said:
I'm planning on doing the Guatemala trip to Antigua this summer. Do you have any advice as to things I should take that weren't on the list or places to go during leisure time that are cool? I'm really excited about learning some more Spanish.

The list pretty much covers everything that you need to bring. Make sure you bring gym shoes or hiking shoes for the weekend trips. I'm sure you will have weekend excursions planned, but if you can, I would definately recommend climbing the volcano. I forgot the name of the one that most people climb, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure it out. That was probably the best thing I did there outside of the medical stuff.

skihawk2 said:
The list pretty much covers everything that you need to bring. Make sure you bring gym shoes or hiking shoes for the weekend trips. I'm sure you will have weekend excursions planned, but if you can, I would definately recommend climbing the volcano. I forgot the name of the one that most people climb, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure it out. That was probably the best thing I did there outside of the medical stuff.
If you climb Pacaya, be very careful. A classmate of mine went alone with her boyfriend our senior year and they were robbed (she was raped). Agua (near Antigua) is much safer but still go in a big group. And don't hang out till late. Try and make it up and down during daylight. Not trying to scare you, just keep your head on straight. Climbing volcanoes is a one of a kind experience. I love it!