Immigration requirements as physician- United States to Norway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sha ree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergraduate (pre-med) in the United States, but I would like to immigrate to Norway. My question is how the requirements for transferring a medical license from the United States to Norway differ from the requirements for transferring a medical license from Norway to the US (if I ever wanted to move back)... and therefore whether it would be simpler to immigrate to Norway before or after medical school or residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have citizenship in any EU/Shengen country?
It's way easier to come to Sweden from the US than the other way around. I'd guess it's the same for Norway.

Unfortunately I do not; I'm a US citizen at the moment. It sounds like you have to take the board exams for the country you are entering in either direction?

I see you're an MD-PhD student; if you don't mind me asking, how has that been so far? I would really like to do an MD-PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ree, :)
I would strongly suggest Germany if you neither have European qualifications nor an EU citizenship.
Germany offers reasonable residence permit possibilities for non-EU people who speak German well (B2 and above), be it Master studies, PHD or a medical speciality.
I am a non-EU medical student in the fourth year and want to continue my medical studies in Germany after accrediting my studies with Landesprüfungsamt Düsseldorf.
Although Norway does have a test, the Bergen Test (a linguistic and medical test), which if passed with good grades could help you get into Norway, yet Norway is still part of the EFTA and would prioritise Norwegians then European citizens and finally non-EU citizens so the vacant positions left would be very few for non-EU citizens.

MD/PhD doesn't work the same way here. It's a story for another topic another day.

Also, I believe taking an exam is a bit easier than doing residency all over (as you have to if you do EU residency and then want to switch to the US).