Impact of Research for Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bcranger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a significant research involvement be a strong addition to someone's application for regular MD?

Considering the following:
3-4 Oral Conference Presentations
3-4 Poster Presentations
1 Publication, 2nd Author out of 4 in Journal of Cell Biology
1 REU Summer Research Program
1 SIBS Summer Research Program
3 Research Grants Aimed at Undergraduates

Would this be significantly beneficial to applying to regular MD?

On a side note, how competitive would those credentials be for an MD/PHD only considering the research component of the application (I heard MSTP were super competitive)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it helps.

Also that is strong for MD/PhD...very strong for MD.

Congrats on your accomplishments.

Would a significant research involvement be a strong addition to someone's application for regular MD?

Considering the following:
3-4 Oral Conference Presentations
3-4 Poster Presentations
1 Publication, 2nd Author out of 4 in Journal of Cell Biology
1 REU Summer Research Program
1 SIBS Summer Research Program
3 Research Grants Aimed at Undergraduates

Would this be significantly beneficial to applying to regular MD?

On a side note, how competitive would those credentials be for an MD/PHD only considering the research component of the application (I heard MSTP were super competitive)?

Very strong. So strong, in fact, that at first glance I thought that list was a "Which one of these is better/best?" list.

Congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Half of my interviewers had a PhD, actually. If I didn't have experience in research, I don't believe I would have been accepted. It is a great talking point in an interview!

Thanks. I guess I will still try to do a bit more volunteer this upcoming summer just to make sure!

Research is great, even if you hate it (hint: most of us do). It buffs your CV, gets you a recommendation letter, and gives you another topic for interviews. I doubt I would've gotten half my interviews without my lab involvement.

Research experience looks good for either MD or MD/PhD (depending on the research portfolio of the schools to which you apply)

Even if you are applying MD/PhD you should have some clinical experinece as well.