Impact of research/publications on residency chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LicensedThinker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first post !

So I'm currently a P4 and making the big decision to go for a residency position. I thoroughly enjoy inpatient and outpatient hospital pharmacy so I would like to do a PGY-1. I have been working towards that since about 1st semester my P2 year. I've worked in retail for 3.5 years now and have been working in a 200-bed community hospital for the past year. I've held a leadership position in APHA-ASP and have been involved in advocacy efforts on the state and national level. Along with an average amount of community service and pharmacy-related volunteer work, I feel I would have a decent shot at landing an accredited PGY-1 residency.

My only issue is that I do not have any research experience, therefore no publications or posters. I have talked to multiple professors about doing research with them, but nothing has panned out as of now. I am doing a rotation in November-December based on clinical research, but it will not be entirely research intensive and will most likely not result in any publishable material.

What is the weight associated to research/publication experience? Is it a necessity to get into an accredited in-patient residency program? If so, what can I do to improve my chances?
I've been told by a faculty advisor that to obtain a competitive residency you need research experience. Any insight into this matter is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had 5-6 peer reviewed publications when applying for residency and no one really asked me about it.

Hmm okay. Thanks for the feedback. Would you say that it is a detriment to lack research experience as a resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
you are a pretty well-rounded candidate.
remember no one can be a perfect candidate, even if you have everything, there are other candidates who just have more experience than you
don't worry too much about publication
apply a wide range of programs and good luck

I didn't think it was a big factor for me (zero research or publications as a student) in getting interviews and I know last year it didn't seem to affect who we brought in to interview at my PGY-1 institution.

One thing I've noticed around these boards is he notion of a "safety program". I know of at least 2-3 programs that I'm interested in, one of them being a larger academic hospital while another is a smaller critical care hospital and the third one a home infusion-based program. I'm having a tough time accepting the fact that any residency now-a-days would be considered a "safety program" with more and more students applying for residency. What would constitute a "safety program" if there is one?

I have the same question as well as what would consider a "safety program." I am just not really familiar with any other institutions outside my states at all. There are so many programs out there. Guess the best way to do is to narrow all these programs around my areas of interest.