Impact of scholarship on residency match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbjonesie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I turned down multiple top 25 schools for a top 50 school that is giving me a large scholarship. I do not regret this decision, as the scholarship (along with some parental contribution) will allow me to graduate medical school with zero debt. However, I plan on going into a competitive residency and, despite what some people say, I know that medical school prestige is a factor in matching into one. I am wondering if my scholarship will be able to offset the difference in prestige between the school that I will be attending and the ones that I turned down. Although googling my scholarship does not yield anything noteworthy, the letter in which it was offered to me does state that I am a XXX Scholar. How much of a benefit will putting this on my residency applications have, both on its own and in comparison to the better name-recognition of another school?

Members don't see this ad.

I turned down multiple top 25 schools for a top 50 school that is giving me a large scholarship. I do not regret this decision, as the scholarship (along with some parental contribution) will allow me to graduate medical school with zero debt. However, I plan on going into a competitive residency and, despite what some people say, I know that medical school prestige is a factor in matching into one. I am wondering if my scholarship will be able to offset the difference in prestige between the school that I will be attending and the ones that I turned down. Although googling my scholarship does not yield anything noteworthy, the letter in which it was offered to me does state that I am a XXX Scholar. How much of a benefit will putting this on my residency applications have, both on its own and in comparison to the better name-recognition of another school?

Forget prestige. A full ride to any MD school should trump the majority of schools. Excel in your program and the board exams and the residency options are still open for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, your question is will the "prestige" of having a scholarship to your mid-tier school make up for not going to a top 25. No, it will not.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile