Impending GME Funding Cut and Military Residency Impact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a very recent email from AAMC, it seems that cuts to GME funding are on the table, potentially lowering the number of residency spots and leading to situations where there aren't enough residency spots for the increasing number of medical school graduates.

I am wondering what impact will GME funding cuts have on military residencies? Are military residencies funded by a separate source? If so, does that mean that less GME funding will not have an adverse impact on the number of military residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Cuts in Medicare funding should have no direct impact on military GME funding. Obviously, though, the same financial austerity concerns that prompted the Medicare cuts could always affect the DoD as well, which could eventually trickle down to GME.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs in the Navy are already on the way out. In FP, that is.

Is that the result of GME cuts? Or is it because of another reason?

And I thought that family practice residencies are particularly strong in the military.

Some programs in the Navy are already on the way out. In FP, that is.

Within the next two years Navy will be down to Jax, Pendleton, and Lejeune for FP. They will keep their three major MTF IM programs.

The civilians are have been bolting since sequestration. Primary care is going to be substantially undermanned. The residents should definitely be utilized but I fear that the decreasing morale will affect training tempo.

It was my understanding that, while Pensacola and Bremerton programs are being cut, the overall number of spots will remain the same since they are increasing spots at Pendleton, Jax, Lejeune, and Belvoir.