Importance of a Medicine Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2 neuro and 1 psych letters set to go. I was wondering how important a Medicine letter was to obtain. I could probably obtain one, maybe strong maybe not, but it would be positive.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably need a medicine letter for the prelim interviews. I typically only read the letters from neurologists when I'm interviewing residency candidates and don't care so much about the medicine letters, but I may not represent the majority.

If you have a lead to getting a letter from a medicine person I would do it. The medicine pool is so large that the letter writers tend to be pretty honest which I appreciate. Plus, in terms of how I think you'll be able to do as a resident in my program, a strong medicine letter can be a boost.

That said, I'm an intensivist and a lot of what I do day to day is much more medicine-based than neurology. Left side/right side, clots vs. bleeds vs. other. But why should this guy be on dobutamine?

And Rearden is right, you want that medicine letter anyway to get the best prelim spot, so you might as well make hay while the sun shines.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told to get at least one medicine letter.
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a similar question. Right now I have 1 letter from a neuro faculty and 1 letter from my medicine chairman. My question is do neuro programs require a neurology chairman letter or is it ok to have your neuro letters only come from regular neurology staff?

I don't think the chairman's letter is absolutely essential. When we read these LOR's we find it most helpful when we get letters from neurologists we know or are reputable in the field. So if one of your letters is from a neurologist who's a big name in the field but you don't have a letter from the chairman that's probably fine. If you just have letters from no-name neurologists who you happened to rotate with I would recommend getting a letter from the chairman as well.

Seniority matters, too. If you neuro letters are all from people I know but only at the Asst. Prof. level, you'd be better off getting someone a bit more senior -- even if it isn't the chief.