Importance of a school's reputation (cross post from pre-optometry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optedirectioned

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-This is posted in the pre-optometry forum too, just wanted to get more diverse responses-

Right off the bat, I'll let you know I'm Canadian and have every intention of going back to Canada once I graduate.

Currently, I have been accepted to NOVA this fall and have been invited to NECO for an interview. I'm just torn on whether I should even go to the interview. All of this stems from the fact that NOVA is significantly cheaper (~$5000/year) AND they are offering me a $8000 scholarship. This adds up to almost $30000 over a 4 year span.

So for someone who intends on going back to Canada post-graduation, do you think NECO's good reputation and greater Canadian presence is worth the extra $25000-$30000 when I am looking for a job? or should I just go to NOVA? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

-This is posted in the pre-optometry forum too, just wanted to get more diverse responses-

Right off the bat, I'll let you know I'm Canadian and have every intention of going back to Canada once I graduate.

Currently, I have been accepted to NOVA this fall and have been invited to NECO for an interview. I'm just torn on whether I should even go to the interview. All of this stems from the fact that NOVA is significantly cheaper (~$5000/year) AND they are offering me a $8000 scholarship. This adds up to almost $30000 over a 4 year span.

So for someone who intends on going back to Canada post-graduation, do you think NECO's good reputation and greater Canadian presence is worth the extra $25000-$30000 when I am looking for a job? or should I just go to NOVA? Thanks in advance.

There is ZEEEEEEEEERO reason to choose NECO over NOVA if you have this kind of cost reduction in place. You guys will not understand the enormity of the weight of student loans until you get out of school and have to start paying them back. Consider that the monthly student loan payment for a typical new OD these days can reach $1400 for the OD, and another $1000 or so for the B.S. Go on Zillow and look at mortgage prices. You could be paying the equivalent of a monthly mortgage on a $600K home, to settle up your loans each month.

Education is not necessarily a bad investment, but education in a field that offers a poor return is a bad investment, unless you're made of money.

Also consider that the vast majority of those from Canada, who earn an OD in the US, stay here in the US to practice. I would try to find some Canadian ODs, who studied in the US, and get their feedback. I went to school with about 6 Canadians, and only one of them returned home. I think she actually moved back to the states after a few years, but I'm not sure. There's likely several factors, including social ones, that lead ODs to stay here afetr graduation, but you need to find out all the pros and cons of working in Canada.

Considering the absolute disaster that the US job market is for newly-minted ODs, I'd be very certain that you have a great landing spot back in Canada.

PS: I hope you're not in BC. Due to new legislation, the OD has been pretty much made an unnecessary middleman there for the last couple of years.

Last edited:
From Quebec. So worse comes to worse, I'll suck it up and pay the ridiculous income tax rate of this province, but pretty much be guaranteed a job due to the French requirement of this province.

My thought on my situation is pretty much what you told me. A degree is a degree. Why badger myself with more debt than I have to. Thanks for the quick reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Canada.

Go to the one that is 30K cheaper. No brainer with a scholarship and price differential. You're very fortunate you have this type of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.