Importance of Post Bac GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HouAggieDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing some simple GPA math and making some predictions about the rest of my post-bacc I will end up with a total sGPA of 3.38 and post-bac GPA of 3.67. From what I have seen in this thread it seems like schools are more likely to to weigh post-bacc and MCAT scores higher (I am not saying that they will not directly be weighted, AdComs just like to see a current trend of success in academics). Does this seem to be true? I have seen multiple success stories here with sub-3.5 GPAs (due to low undergrad GPAs) and it seems to me as long as you have a 3.5+ postbac GPA and a good MCAT school that that current trend is favored.

I have also seen that it doesn't hurt to be in a state that favors in-state applicants. Which works out well for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would actually think that the postbac GPA should be a 3.7+ (A- average). With the average GPA of matriculants being aroudn 3.7-3.8, you would want your recent work to reflect that you are on par with the competition. I think 3.67 is fairly good, but maybe a 3.5+ is being a tiny bit inaccurate to the lower limit. For nontrads who have had not stellar academic pasts, it would be better to go above and beyond the competition. Like, while a 504 might be good for some applicants, a nontrad with a low GPA probably shouldn't settle for anything less than a 510ish.

I do not believe they weigh postbac scores higher in general unless you're applying to LSU with their 30something hour rule, etc. It's seen on equal footing with your uGPA - they'll still see the low GPA and it will be a red flag, but they also rate GPA trends and make assessments of your app holistically to determine if you are low risk or not anymore.

Some schools do have specific policies about how they handle the last X amount of hours versus the total (for example, Wayne State).

Trend is certainly taken into account; as the above poster noted, on your AMCAS they see a breakdown of your GPA by academic year, with post-bacc work separate. But there's no catch-all "as long as you do this you're fine", because an application is more than just your GPA. A strong postbacc performance helps (mandatory, in fact, for those of us who hadn't done well in the past), but there are many other factors considered which will also help or hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're in as strong a position GPA wise as is practical. You could consider taking an addition BCPM class to get your cGPA above a 3.4 but that difference is negligible. Make sure you really prepare for the MCAT and only take the exam when you are ready to earn a high score. When you apply, apply broadly to a combination of MD and DO schools.

Thanks for the replies!

And yes, I have contemplated taking an extra BCPM class as I will just have the minimum requirements for entry to medical school. Additional classes will only increase my GPA and add onto my knowledge base. Also, I am at the point where taking more classes can still have a significant impact on my sGPA (~.05 per additional 4 credit class). I will have taken Biochem and Anatomy and thinking of either Microbiology or Genetics, but that will depend on my schedule.

I will definitely make sure to fully prepare for the MCAT and not take the test until I have achieved consistent high-level scores on practice exams (There is plenty of information in other threads about preparing for the MCAT and I will refer there for answers).

Just out of curiosity, where else do you think I will get the most bang for my buck in regards to improving my overall packet? I have been working on volunteering and shadowing on the weekends. I think research is more or less out of the question for me. Clinical work as well... given that I, being the sole income earner, cannot afford to change jobs (money) for the experience.

yes, it's true. There are MD schools (and ALL DO) that reward reinvention. Your state school is your best bet.

Doing some simple GPA math and making some predictions about the rest of my post-bacc I will end up with a total sGPA of 3.38 and post-bac GPA of 3.67. From what I have seen in this thread it seems like schools are more likely to to weigh post-bacc and MCAT scores higher (I am not saying that they will not directly be weighted, AdComs just like to see a current trend of success in academics). Does this seem to be true? I have seen multiple success stories here with sub-3.5 GPAs (due to low undergrad GPAs) and it seems to me as long as you have a 3.5+ postbac GPA and a good MCAT school that that current trend is favored.

I have also seen that it doesn't hurt to be in a state that favors in-state applicants. Which works out well for me.

Clinical work as well... given that I, being the sole income earner, cannot afford to change jobs (money) for the experience.

You don't actually have to have a clinical job, just clinical experience. So if you're volunteering on the floor of a hospital where you're interacting with patients and caregivers, that's perfectly fine :)

Do you mean that CA schools will reward reinvention? I'd expect UCD, UCI and UCR would, and an SDNer who reinvented got into UCSF, so yes.

Remember that CA is a net exporter of med students.
i've always wondered- does this apply to CA residents as well? it seems like it'd be the only exception to this rule tbh.

Do you mean that CA schools will reward reinvention? I'd expect UCD, UCI and UCR would, and an SDNer who reinvented got into UCSF, so yes.

Remember that CA is a net exporter of med students.
You're exactly right. They do send a lot of folks out due to the seat/number ratio.

And yes, I meant the reinvention train :). I'm surprised to hear that UCSF is on that reinvention list. That's quite interesting to hear!

As one FL MD adcom put it to me, yes reinvention with high scores is important and even considered but when you have 1000's of applicants that all score highly in all areas that didn't require reinvention (some younger and some nontrads) then it's a big risk taking someone returning to school later in life who has had academic problems (meaning below a 3.5 undergrad bcpm gpa for them) in the past vs someone who hasn't. 10,000 applicants for 175 seats means with quite a few who are also reinventing themselves they can be extremely picky and some adcoms would rather fill a class with safe students.

That's not to say someone wanting an MD shouldn't go for it and submit an application!!!! But be aware that with the HUGE number of applicants the reward may not be there, so you should have something really positive to help you stand out from others.

Most DO programs seem to be much more friendly to nontrads (older especially) and really do seem to look more at graduate and latest sgpa scores for the upward trend.

The data isn't really collected that I know of but I'd love to see analysis of diversity in life and educational experiences in DO vs MD.