PhD/PsyD Importance of Previous MS Clinical Experience for Doctoral Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VioletChristine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, everyone!

This is my first post and I hope I haven't broken any social rules by asking the following...

I am a MS Clinical Psychology student. My MS program includes a 600 hour clinical internship where I am supervised by an LPC in MD. I will be finished in May.

I have been accepted into my school's PsyD program, which is separate. Although my previous MS hours are not applicable for PsyD graduation requirements, I was curious to know how these hours would be viewed when I apply to doctoral internships. This year I will work 1200 hours at my school's clinic. Then I will apply to outside sites. Does my MS experience make me a stronger applicant? Or are those hours ignored?

Thanks!

V

Members don't see this ad.

These hours are not ignored. The internship application has a section for master's hours and a section for doctoral hours, which are then combined to get your total hours. That means you should start tracking your hours carefully now, including client demographics!

I'm happy to hear that, eremitestar. I had been wondering if my 500 hour MS practicum would benefit me at all for the internship process!